BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Others said he would struggle because of his mistakes at this level. You then interjected with examples of mistakes. So if you weren't joining the conversation,what were you doing? 

Jesus wept. You asked for examples of his mistakes. I gave you one, matron. Go back and read the thread if you can't remember what you wrote half an hour ago.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I find Big Dogg's stance on this whole thing puzzling. His whole argument seems to be "well he's been half decent for us in League 1, so who knows?" ... not what you'd call airtight logic, but he's throwing it around like it's infallible. It's especially bizarre as literally all evidence so far points to Downing not having what it takes in the Championship:

• Released by WBA, during his time there never loaned out to a club higher than League 1.
  • After release went straight on to sign for Walsall in League 1.
  • At age 26 has never played above League 1, despite getting his start as a youth team player at a PL club and actually making the bench for one match (guess who that was against?).
  • Loaned to us by MK Dons because they didn't see him as a first team player.

I'm not saying conclusively that Downing couldn't play in the Championship, but it seems to me Big Dogg should be the one providing evidence, as opposed to people thinking he won't be good enough.

• Backroom
35 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Take it for what it’s worth but Nixon said it ‘should have been done by now’. Unlike our owners to p*ss about...

Meaning he's covering his back in case he does or doesn't sign, classic Nicko

43 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Poor start from Bell so far. 

You're not wrong there. First half and he's done nothing but give the ball away and put his team in danger! Suppose it's unfair to judge based on 45 minutes and the transfer speculation surrounding him, so let's see how he does in the second half. At worst, it should knock a few £k off his transfer fee. :)

32 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Yep poorest player on the pitch in the first half

Terrible effort , looks lazy as he's constantly behind play in his head and wrong side of his man on set pieces. Williams looks a better player. Like a left version of Nyambe. The German and Coyle at be look good.

A left back cover could be Demetri Mitchell from Man Utd youth. Available on loan plenty of offers north in for him. England u-20 and already made his debut for Utd.

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

I think the £8m we paid ultimately led to Rhodes’ downfall. It put him in a bracket that made him unaffordable for your average Championship club. He contributed to 2 different teams being promoted but the requirements of the PL are of a much stronger striker physically. He would do well to work with Big Sam and bulk up a bit, maybe change his game so that he can hold the ball up better. Personally I think he would be better dropping down a division and enjoying his football again but nobody there can afford him.

Interesting that people keep saying Graham is a better striker. His career doesn’t demonstrate that. He took a while to get going and had one big money move to Swansea but even that didn’t work out well. He’s head and shoulders above most in this league but in reality is a bit of a journeyman who has had a few purple patches throughout his career. We got Rhodes on his way up, mostly in great form. We got Graham on the way down.

Both good players in their own right. Under Lambert I was looking forward to seeing them play together but it never happened.

I don't think Graham is a better striker, but at his highest level WAS a better all around striker than Rhodes was at his highest level.  

One area I think Rhodes is better is that Graham now is lazy and a bit billy big boots for this league if you ask me.  You would never get that from Jordan, proper professional IMHO.  I don't think we can accuse Graham of being that.

Interesting that todays XI LOOKS like Williams at Centre half with Mulgrew. Maybe with the impending Amari’i Bell deal Tony’s looking to see if he can do a job at centre half, (where many fans, including Bristol City fans said he would be better) and/or in case we shift to a back 3/5 formation?

Edit: never mind Nyambe’s started there haha.

11 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Terrible effort , looks lazy as he's constantly behind play in his head and wrong side of his man on set pieces. Williams looks a better player. Like a left version of Nyambe. The German and Coyle at be look good.

A left back cover could be Demetri Mitchell from Man Utd youth. Available on loan plenty of offers north in for him. England u-20 and already made his debut for Utd.

Do we really want another loan player?One or two loans is ok but I don't want to see our squad overloaded with loan players. 

Bell is obviously on the move this window wether to us or someone else im not going to say he is a terrible player on the back of one poor game against premier league opposition like you seem to be doing 

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Interesting that todays XI LOOKS like Williams at Centre half with Mulgrew. Maybe with the impending Amari’i Bell deal Tony’s looking to see if he can do a job at centre half, (where many fans, including Bristol City fans said he would be better) and/or in case we shift to a back 3/5 formation?

Will it not be nyambe at c/b 

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Do we really want another loan player?One or two loans is ok but I don't want to see our squad overloaded with loan players. 

Bell is obviously on the move this window wether to us or someone else im not going to say he is a terrible player on the back of one poor game against premier league opposition like you seem to be doing 

Yes if it means we don't fill the squad for the year or two with below par players. No point signing anyone long term who can't make the step up.

whilst that is true, it's not a good omen. At any level against anyone you should look switched on, concentrated etc. This guy looks mentally slow and too lax body language. Another weak mind. 

4 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Yes if it means we don't fill the squad for the year or two with below par players. No point signing anyone long term who can't make the step up.

whilst that is true, it's not a good omen. At any level against anyone you should look switched on, concentrated etc. This guy looks mentally slow and too lax body language. Another weak mind. 

Lol another weak mind?You come to that conclusion after watching him in one match?

Also you where banging on last week about SPL players moving to the championship, Bell has been linked with both Norwich and Birmingham City in the past year so he must have something about him.

I see Billy Bodin joined Preston for 500k from the league you said we shouldn't be shopping in?The same fee they paid for Moult

Just now, islander200 said:

Lol another week mind?You come to that conclusion after watching him in one match?

Also you where banging on last week about SPL players moving to the championship, Bell has been linked with both Norwich and Birmingham City in the past year so he must have something about him.

I see Billy Bodin joined Preston for 500k from the league you said we shouldn't be shopping in?The same fee they paid for Moult

SPL is a poor league. 

Bodin would have been decent. 

Talking to another Rovers fan at Ewood Park who says we after a Notts Forest player on loan at Notts County. 

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Lol another weak mind?You come to that conclusion after watching him in one match?

You can tell looking at the player his body language and positioning.  Ducked it today whilst his teammates stepped up. On that alone I'd be saying no thanks personally. Need players running through walls.

Be surprised with Brum given they released him and arguably have a top talent out on loan who plays left back (Mendy). Norwich have Husband once tipped to be good and Toffolo who last year looked a star out on loan. Again I'd be surprised if they are looking at a L1 player in a struggling side.

I reccomded Moult and McLean. One poster mentioned Walker. Since then Moult (better goalratio than bodin at various clubs) has transferred, Walker this weekend has signed a pre contract and McLean looks to head to the Championship to agree a pre contract whilst a current international. 

Dont think Bodin will make it, play second fiddle to Horgan who's ok. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

SPL is a poor league. 

Bodin would have been decent. 

Talking to another Rovers fan at Ewood Park who says we after a Notts Forest player on loan at Notts County. 

Far better league than league one clearly. Just below championship level.

Jorge Grant is the player your thinking of, a poster mentionedit a couple of weeks ago.

Archived