BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So numerous posters have said they don't think Downing would cut it in the championship. However after seeking examples of why, the best ,and only, one I got was that he lost his man from a corner V Rotherham. Makes perfect sense as everyone knows nobody scores from corners above league 1 as defenders do such a good job at marking. 

I wasn't happy with the Downing loan deal when it happened but to be fair he has done well and earned a deal.

But of course there are question marks as to wether he will do it at championship level as at 26 he has never played above league 1.He wasn't a regular at Mk Dons either and they where happy to let him go.

Unless we change to 3 at the back I don't see him being a regular here either when Lenihan returns 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, islander200 said:

I wasn't happy with the Downing loan deal when it happened but to be fair he has done well and earned a deal.

But of course there are question marks as to wether he will do it at championship level as at 26 he has never played above league 1.He wasn't a regular at Mk Dons either and they where happy to let him go.

Unless we change to 3 at the back I don't see him being a regular here either when Lenihan returns 

Ya,we all know the story from before he came here. Since watching him though,what are fans basing their opinions on? 

If he plays a full season here ,are fans till going to be harking back to the fact MK dons let him go or will there be a bit more of a detailed and fact based discussion on the player?

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So numerous posters have said they don't think Downing would cut it in the championship. However after seeking examples of why, the best ,and only, one I got was that he lost his man from a corner V Rotherham. Makes perfect sense as everyone knows nobody scores from corners above league 1 as defenders do such a good job at marking. 

You didn't even get that because that wasn't the question I answered. It's all on p.37 of this thread. Or just have another look at the posts of yours  I quoted on p.39.

Perhaps you could tell us all why he would cut it in the Championship? Seeing as you watch every game (:lol:) you'll know all about his strengths and weaknesses?

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Did Mowbray let something slip in that radio lancs interview? I'm sure he said "we're always interested in bringing back good players to the football club" before quickly correcting himself?

Someone else said that on the previous page. Looks like he's let the cat out of the bag...or he's trolling!

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We should absolutely not be doing deals now on the basis that they will or will not be good enough in the Championship. We need players who are good enough for top 2 in L1 with the bottle for a play-off fight.

Anything else is far to arrogant and will be our undoing.

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya,we all know the story from before he came here. Since watching him though,what are fans basing their opinions on? 

If he plays a full season here ,are fans till going to be harking back to the fact MK dons let him go or will there be a bit more of a detailed and fact based discussion on the player?

In my opinion he has already proved to be a steady and decent league 1 centre half.

But like others have said it is still open to question  whether he can make the step up to championship level when he will  be facing a higher level of foward. 

I'm interested as to why you are so sure he can make the step up?

Just now, Stuart said:

We should absolutely not be doing deals now on the basis that they will or will not be good enough in the Championship. We need players who are good enough for top 2 in L1 with the bottle for a play-off fight.

Anything else is far to arrogant and will be our undoing.

I agree was only responding to bigdogg.

You should tell that to Dunnfc as according to him we shouldn't be signing anyone from this league.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nixon saying Antonsson is out for 7 or 8 weeks. So explained Armstrong move

Mowbray said 2 or 3 the other day so who is wrong?

Also, does it really? Replacing a player whose been played wide left with someone who has made it clear he wants to play as a central striker?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Also, does it really? Replacing a player whose been played wide left with someone who has made it clear he wants to play as a central striker?

He didn't really play our wide left as much as occupy that patch of grass, most of his good work was done in the old inside left position getting into the box. If Armstrong does come that's were he'll play I would have thought.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Exactly this.

Chaddy, the reason he’s left Bolton by all accounts is because he’s fed up of being shunted out wide ala Antonsson. He won’t be prepared to do that in a league lower.

Antonsson being out for that long reinforces my belief that we need 2 x wide men brought in. We’re getting desperate there I would argue. 

1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

Aye Dembele went from championship to champions league and a 18 million price tag, van dyke and wanyama to leading PL players. Same goes with PNE snapping up Moult from lowly Motherwell and targeting Windass, whilst we lumber in league one.

Not a brill league but it goes from high end championship to league 1 in team quality but better than the level we are playing at overall.

Van Dijk, Wanyama and Dembele all at Celtic, who are different gravy to the rest in the league. And even saying that I don't think Celtic would do much more than be in a relegation battle in our premier league. Moult hasn't proven himself in the Championship yet, a lot more have come over here and failed than succeeded. All that is irrelevant though, take away Celtic Aberdeen and Rangers and you're left with a league at league 1/2 standard with team quality and attendances. 

1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

Aye Dembele went from championship to champions league and a 18 million price tag, van dyke and wanyama to leading PL players. Same goes with PNE snapping up Moult from lowly Motherwell and targeting Windass, whilst we lumber in league one.

Not a brill league but it goes from high end championship to league 1 in team quality but better than the level we are playing at overall.

I'm not counting Celtic obviously their players are of decent quality but the rest are very poor.

Moult may well have  gone to preston but nothing to say he will do much there.

The rest of the spl yes there are a few players he might be ok in championship the rest are league one to league two standard.

Just because a player is playing in a lower league doesn't mean they cant necessarily do well at a higher level.  Signing the top scorer from a non league team didn't turn out too bad for Leicester.  Ward has played at a higher level than Downing , but I know who makes me less nervous when he plays.

6 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Jorge Grant?

cant remember name but that's who it is, fine. any good? 

6 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

You can tell looking at the player his body language and positioning.  Ducked it today whilst his teammates stepped up. On that alone I'd be saying no thanks personally. Need players running through walls.

Be surprised with Brum given they released him and arguably have a top talent out on loan who plays left back (Mendy). Norwich have Husband once tipped to be good and Toffolo who last year looked a star out on loan. Again I'd be surprised if they are looking at a L1 player in a struggling side.

I reccomded Moult and McLean. One poster mentioned Walker. Since then Moult (better goalratio than bodin at various clubs) has transferred, Walker this weekend has signed a pre contract and McLean looks to head to the Championship to agree a pre contract whilst a current international. 

Dont think Bodin will make it, play second fiddle to Horgan who's ok. 

Far better league than league one clearly. Just below championship level.

Jorge Grant is the player your thinking of, a poster mentionedit a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe Bell wants out of Fleetwood to come here. wouldn't be the 1st player to play poor to get a move. 

SPL level is league 2 at best. they are some good players there but the standard is rubbish on the whole. guess we agree to disagree on this. 

do you know owt about Grant?

5 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Sam Baldock available for loan from Brighton, I'd take him.

really?

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

I’ve a horrible feeling the putting Travis in the middle was Mowbray’s way of drawing attention to this.

If he brings in Lowe as the mainstay CM then we are in for a poor second half of the season. There must be other options out there - even if loanees - than the Unwanted One.

Travis would be a good shout in centre midfield slot. 

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, I don't see Armstrong as an out an out leader of the line type player like Graham or Samuel. More an auxiliary striker playing a bit wider out much as Antonnson did only a much better player.

left Bolton cos he didn't want to play wider

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Well maybe its become more serious after another scan. 

I know Armstrong wants to be the central striker. That's why he coming here. 

Adam Armstrong - yes, please. Would be a top signing. A striker signing was a must for this window and he's proven at this level. 

Lowe - not for me but he would be ok at this level as a back up. Think it will happen. 

Downing a permanent deal - again, a big yes. We haven't lost in any game he's played, that's no coincidence. Good defender who I think could play at championship level. 

Bell - Don't know much about him but widely regarded as one of the best left backs in the league. Looks like it will happen.

Winger - this one is key and the area I think we'll spend cash on. Rumours were Billy Bodin was bid for but that didn' come off. 

Happy with the rumoured signings so far. Signing up Chapman on a perm deal would be very nice too. Don't think it will happen as he'll want to ensure he's playing in the championship next year, hopefully with us but if not he'll go elsewhere. 

36 minutes ago, Butty said:

Van Dijk, Wanyama and Dembele all at Celtic, who are different gravy to the rest in the league. And even saying that I don't think Celtic would do much more than be in a relegation battle in our premier league. Moult hasn't proven himself in the Championship yet, a lot more have come over here and failed than succeeded. All that is irrelevant though, take away Celtic Aberdeen and Rangers and you're left with a league at league 1/2 standard with team quality and attendances. 

Your better than this so we will discount the aforementioned as it's doesn't suit your argument ?

Rovers record signing is Barry Ferguson from Rangers. Take away Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen so to prove your point your left with minus 3/12 =74% about 9 teams point well proven @Butty let's take Wigan and Shrewsbury out this league while yourat it!

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I know Armstrong wants to be the central striker. That's why he coming here. 

Have you spoken to him personally... He's coming to be placed in the shop window.. Did he ask for the loan move here ??? 

If he gets his Coventry form back and fires us up  I'll be well happy.. But the J lo is a big no no and a backwards step 

4 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Your better than this so we will discount the aforementioned as it's doesn't suit your argument ?

Rovers record signing is Barry Ferguson from Rangers. Take away Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen so to prove your point your left with minus 3/12 =74% about 9 teams point well proven @Butty let's take Wigan and Shrewsbury out this league while yourat it!

Ferguson did nothing over here. Granted he had a bad injury so Il excuse him.

The current rangers team would be s top team in league 1 but would be fighting a relegation battle in the Championship.

In the last 5 years name the players that have moved from Scotland to the Premier league or Championship and have been a success .Dont count the players that moved from celtic though

The current rangers team would be s top team in league 1 but would be fighting a relegation battle in the Championship.

In the last 5 years name the players that have moved from Scotland to the Premier league or Championship and have been a success .Dont count the players that moved from celtic though

Andy Robertson

Aye let's not count ones to prove your theory incorrect! Even young Souttar is at Stoke ?

10 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Adam Armstrong - yes, please. Would be a top signing. A striker signing was a must for this window and he's proven at this level. One striker will need to leave for this one to happen.

Lowe - not for me but he would be ok at this level as a back up. Think it will happen. Captain in the Championship, do you really think he will end up being a back up in L1?

Downing a permanent deal - again, a big yes. We haven't lost in any game he's played, that's no coincidence. Good defender who I think could play at championship level. He has definitely found a role working with Mulgrew. Downing and Ward would not inspire the same confidence.

Bell - Don't know much about him but widely regarded as one of the best left backs in the league. Looks like it will happen. Didn’t look like much of a left back today so if this one does happen I hope you’re right.

Winger - this one is key and the area I think we'll spend cash on. Rumours were Billy Bodin was bid for but that didn' come off. Only Nixon suggested we we’re in for him.

Happy with the rumoured signings so far. Signing up Chapman on a perm deal would be very nice too. Don't think it will happen as he'll want to ensure he's playing in the championship next year, hopefully with us but if not he'll go elsewhere.

Only Armstrong seems like a decent link. Right now, a dream window looks like no movenents - in or out.

Archived