BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

Just now, Beanie01289 said:

England are still bringing enough young players through and the calibre of foreigners being brought in are in a different bracket. And Heneghan is not better.

Premier league? Nah ratio of foriginers is far higher. Heneghan is and about the same age, injuries and formof exrover and Sheff Utd captain O'Connell keeping him out. Sufc accountant Sth talks and talks about him.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Premier league? Nah ratio of foriginers is far higher. Heneghan is and about the same age, injuries and formof exrover and Sheff Utd captain O'Connell keeping him out. Sufc accountant Sth talks and talks about him.

It may well be but the quality of young players coming through is undeniable what is it two world youth cups?

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Please can we stop going off topic about Scottish football it's boring

Well, you say that but...

clearly dunnfc is an agent, or the son of one. Fascinating. Makes me wonder why we have a manager at all at times.

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I was asking those who said he couldn't cut it in the championship for examples of his mistakes. You then gave the example of him losing a man at a corner. So that's why you think he can't cut it there,fair enough. Seems a bit flimsy a reason,but OK. 

Pretty sad going back through all the posts. Pretty,pretty sad. 

As several posters have pointed out... A lot of people  think he may not cut it in the championship  based on his career to date.  He started at a higher level, wasn't deemed good enough and dropped to this one.  He isn't dominant in the air and he isn't quick.  So his career to date, his physical attributes and the fact he's mid twenties doesn't really lend itself to stepping up the football ladder.  He maybe OK in the championship and may be a decent squad filler but a club with any ambition should be looking at better prospects. What makes you think he will do well in the championship? 

a player we should really look at and i really mean we should try so hard to get is a player called Chiedozie Ogbene he plays for limerick and is out of contract in the summer  CHECK THIS ONE OUT TONY. He had trials at chelsea and is wanted by villa, we would have to put some work in on this.

12 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Did Mowbray let something slip in that radio lancs interview? I'm sure he said "we're always interested in bringing back good players to the football club" before quickly correcting himself?

Will be delighted to see Steven Nzonzi back at Ewood.

To me Jason Lowe is everything that is wrong with the British system, ‘covers every blade of grass’, presumably the ‘first one on the training ground’ at that ungodly hour of 10am etc etc but just doesn’t have the basic skills a central midfielder should have.

However, if anyone has read ‘Living on the volcano’, a great book that talks to various managers on how they survive in this madcap industry, it became clear to me that managers want this type of ‘good lad’ in the camp, regardless of ability. 

So get ready for the ‘5 minute warning’...

One thing the cup game highlighted was the need to be bringing in higher quality players.  Hull are just outside the relegation places, yet they won at Ewood. Shows how much we need to improve to compete at that level.  Let's also not forget we failed to trouble Burnley in any way, shape or form either. 

If we have some money, we should be saving it till summer.  Loans will do fine unless the signing will seriously improve the first team. 

I think a lot on here have far too much faith in their abilities to predict who a player will fit into our club with our current squad under our current manager. We just don’t know how it’ll work out with some players until they get a kick. Nobody saw Downing turning out the way they did. How many saw Whittingham disappointing like he has so far this season?

22 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

To me Jason Lowe is everything that is wrong with the British system, ‘covers every blade of grass’, presumably the ‘first one on the training ground’ at that ungodly hour of 10am etc etc but just doesn’t have the basic skills a central midfielder should have.

However, if anyone has read ‘Living on the volcano’, a great book that talks to various managers on how they survive in this madcap industry, it became clear to me that managers want this type of ‘good lad’ in the camp, regardless of ability. 

So get ready for the ‘5 minute warning’...

Surely something as apocalyptic as this deserves a four minute warning :) No hiding under the table is going to save us from the sideways/backwards pass

Actually on the fence on this one as long as the terms are reasonable (for the club) and its just a loan , as others have said its an extra body to cover a couple of positions if needed and maybe just maybe Division three  might suit him 

17 minutes ago, Garage Flower said:

I think a lot on here have far too much faith in their abilities to predict who a player will fit into our club with our current squad under our current manager. We just don’t know how it’ll work out with some players until they get a kick. Nobody saw Downing turning out the way they did. How many saw Whittingham disappointing like he has so far this season?

What you say is true but I am not sure Mowbray knows his best team ..Also, all this changing the team appears to me an effort to keep everyone happy !

14 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Surely something as apocalyptic as this deserves a four minute warning :) No hiding under the table is going to save us from the sideways/backwards pass

Actually on the fence on this one as long as the terms are reasonable (for the club) and its just a loan , as others have said its an extra body to cover a couple of positions if needed and maybe just maybe Division three  might suit him 

As others have said though, I just don’t see him being the L1 squadie that we believe is his best use.

Even I would accept Lowe on the L1 minimum wage, on the bench and brought on to kill a game that we are winning by 3 goals.

But what’s the point? In that scenario I’d rather have a youth player occupying that 7th bench spot.

And in that scenario it’s money wasted. Any recruitment decisions Mowbray makes should be with a view to strengthening the first team.

Just now, Stuart said:

As others have said though, I just don’t see him being the L1 squadie that we believe is his best use.

Even I would accept Lowe on the L1 minimum wage, on the bench and brought on to kill a game that we are winning by 3 goals.

But what’s the point? In that scenario I’d rather have a youth player occupying that 7th bench spot.

And in that scenario it’s money wasted. Any recruitment decisions Mowbray makes should be with a view to strengthening the first team.

I agree, at this point anybody who comes in should 1) Go straight in the first team. 2) Be a significant improvement on what we've already got.  

If they don't tick both those boxes why sign them ?

Who are we shunting out ? Harper has gone back to West Brom I believe and there's a few others who have little made or no contribution this season who could leave - Gladwin, the full back from from Liverpool, etc ? I don't mind Lowe replacing any of these on loan as a squad player but the priority must be to get some better quality players in - ones who are better than we have at present and are going to strengthen the team. 

Archived