BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Not really because that is something that actually happened, as did his £10 million fee disappearing into a black hole, as did Lambert walking out and Coyle arriving. All things that shouldn't have happened but did and are central to our lowly position today.

Players we might have tried to sign but didn't actually do so amounts to nothing but tabloid rumours and talk about 'he might have been a good signing, had we actually signed him'. It  keeps people like Nixon in business.

2 years ago. 

I thought this was January 2018 transfer window thread not January 2016 one. 

Time we moved on from Rhodes. He left and wanted out. 

Talk about Rhodes in his own thread not in the Transfer thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

don't see any reason why Nicko needs to lie about the Bodin bid. gains nothing from lying. Like you kept rubbish the Armstrong loan bid but more than 2 journalists are reporting it include from Newcastle and the Local reporter for Newcastle Chronicle.  

We need the right signings in this window and I'm happy to take them how they come in. 

sub striker? Armstrong coming here to start and score goals. good player and a striker we need who know the league. Nuttall seems off the boil. maybe need more game time to be sharper and better, time for him to play a couple of 23's games. 

wouldn't be surprise to see us playing 2 strikers from start of the game and change of formation

I never said hes lying, but its his job to wildly speculate at times and more often than not his stories dont happen. I dont understand why you get so hung up on his rumours, because thats all they are. 

I never rubbished the Armstrong link, my point was that you rubbished the Lowe link basically, because you didnt like it, but all of it is speculation until it happened. Mowbray hasnt confirmed Bell, Armstrong, Lowe or Bodin as far as i can see. Journalists arent gospel.

Agree on Nuttall being off the boil but hes not starting either. I'd loan him out.

I've said all along, I would be against the idea of changing the formation at this point, especially when it suits Dack our best player, it would be crazy to change formation when we are on a good run, it would take time to adapt, just stick as we are but get a couple of new wingers and work on set pieces is the order of the day. Players like Armstrong and Bell I'd be ok with but I would suggest that both would at least initially be on the bench, behind Graham and Williams.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

2 years ago. 

I thought this was January 2018 transfer window thread not January 2016 one. 

Time we moved on from Rhodes. He left and wanted out. 

Talk about Rhodes in his own thread not in the Transfer thread

You brought the subject of Rhodes up, not me. 

You might want to move on from the past and brush it all under the carpet. I'm not ready to, and I actually think to do so would be foolish.

I studied history at university. The reason people study the past is to understand why things have happened, more often than not bad and unpleasant things, and to understand why things are as they are today. In the case of Rovers I think its very important that we try to understand how/why things have happened and how that has led to our position today. It won't change the past, just like reading history books can't change WW2, but its important to try and understand what happened and why, who was responsible for making mistakes or causing bad things to happen. Then if there is any sense left at the club we could try and learn from what has happened to ensure there's no chance of it happening again.

Pretending that it never happened or ignoring it all might just lead to a situation where it can happen again in the near future.

The people running this club would be wise to do the same to ensure similar problems don't repeat in the future. Not holding my breath on that one though.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I never said hes lying, but its his job to wildly speculate at times and more often than not his stories dont happen. I dont understand why you get so hung up on his rumours, because thats all they are. 

I never rubbished the Armstrong link, my point was that you rubbished the Lowe link basically, because you didnt like it, but all of it is speculation until it happened. Mowbray hasnt confirmed Bell, Armstrong, Lowe or Bodin as far as i can see. Journalists arent gospel.

Agree on Nuttall being off the boil but hes not starting either. I'd loan him out.

I've said all along, I would be against the idea of changing the formation at this point, especially when it suits Dack our best player, it would be crazy to change formation when we are on a good run, it would take time to adapt, just stick as we are but get a couple of new wingers and work on set pieces is the order of the day. Players like Armstrong and Bell I'd be ok with but I would suggest that both would at least initially be on the bench, behind Graham and Williams.

Armstrong bid confirmed by 5 different journalists. Why would all of them have the same story?..some from this end and some from Newcastle side. 

I bet Mowbray has spoken off the record to Sharpe and Bayes about players targets. But they wont go public cos they have his trust. 

I wouldnt be against different formation if it made us more defensively solid and we scored more goals. 

On the wingers? All depends who we can afford and do they want to come here. Its not easy but hopefully we signed one shortly. 

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

You brought the subject of Rhodes up, not me. 

You might want to move on from the past and brush it all under the carpet. I'm not ready to, and I actually think to do so would be foolish.

I studied history at university. The reason people study the past is to understand why things have happened, more often than not bad and unpleasant things, and to understand why things are as they are today. In the case of Rovers I think its very important that we try to understand how/why things have happened and how that has led to our position today. It won't change the past, just like reading history books can't change WW2, but its important to try and understand what happened and why, who was responsible for making mistakes or causing bad things to happen. Then if there is any sense left at the club we could try and learn from what has happened to ensure there's no chance of it happening again.

Pretending that it never happened or ignoring it all might just lead to a situation where it can happen again in the near future.

The people running this club would be wise to do the same to ensure similar problems don't repeat in the future. Not holding my breath on that one though.

Cant change owt about the past..yes learn from it but cant change history..

I rather focus on the now and future. 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong bid confirmed by 5 different journalists. Why would all of them have the same story?..some from this end and some from Newcastle side. 

I bet Mowbray has spoken off the record to Sharpe and Bayes about players targets. But they wont go public cos they have his trust. 

I wouldnt be against different formation if it made us more defensively solid and we scored more goals. 

On the wingers? All depends who we can afford and do they want to come here. Its not easy but hopefully we signed one shortly. 

Are you purposely not listening? I said all of these rumours are at the moment just rumours. Where did I say they are lies? Some may be true, some may be incorrect, sometimes false information can circulate, chinese whispers, I've never said any of the rumours are true or false, I dont pretend to know, but they are only rumours until they are confirmed.

Its like the Mahrez rumour, was spreading like wildfire last night, today its apparently all rubbish, the point is not that its false, it may be true but they are just rumours.

Cant just change formation drastically overnight and expect to avoid bad results in transition, its not football manager. Not on a run of 24 points in 10. Just needs tweaking.

2 wingers are needed, have to wait and see.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Are you purposely not listening? I said all of these rumours are at the moment just rumours. Where did I say they are lies? Some may be true, some may be incorrect, sometimes false information can circulate, chinese whispers, I've never said any of the rumours are true or false, I dont pretend to know, but they are only rumours until they are confirmed.

Its like the Mahrez rumour, was spreading like wildfire last night, today its apparently all rubbish, the point is not that its false, it may be true but they are just rumours.

Cant just change formation drastically overnight and expect to avoid bad results in transition, its not football manager. Not on a run of 24 points in 10. Just needs tweaking.

2 wingers are needed, have to wait and see.

Trying listening Armstrong loan bid is real. 5 journos.have reported our interest in him. Newcastle based Journalist Lee Ryder has said he coming here. His info.would have been from Newcastle side. You dismissed this on Friday. 

Nobody mention football manager apart from you. 

Maybe Mowbray has been practicising a different formation in training for weeks or months but.not used it yet like Martinez did with his 3-4-3 formation.during his time at Wigan. 

A winger is needed. Doubt 2 is needed. One enough. Need a centre midfielder to partner Smallwood and striker

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

don't see any reason why Nicko needs to lie about the Bodin bid. gains nothing from lying. Like you kept rubbish the Armstrong loan bid but more than 2 journalists are reporting it include from Newcastle and the Local reporter for Newcastle Chronicle.  

We need the right signings in this window and I'm happy to take them how they come in. 

sub striker? Armstrong coming here to start and score goals. good player and a striker we need who know the league. Nuttall seems off the boil. maybe need more game time to be sharper and better, time for him to play a couple of 23's games. 

wouldn't be surprise to see us playing 2 strikers from start of the game and change of formation

I can't see us playing two out and out strikers. That would mean Dack joining up with Smallwood in midfield, that's not playing to our best attacking player's strong point. If Armstrong does come in  I think he's a direct replacement for Antonnson and he'll play in a similar role. I've no problem with that, he'll be quicker than Antonnson and he won't vanish.

We can't be changing systems now, if the new system doesn't work by time we've switched back to our current system we'll be too far behind.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Trying listening Armstrong loan bid is real. 5 journos.have reported our interest in him. Newcastle based Journalist Lee Ryder has said he coming here. His info.would have been from Newcastle side. You dismissed this on Friday. 

Nobody mention football manager apart from you. 

Maybe Mowbray has been practicising a different formation in training for weeks or months but.not used it yet like Martinez did with his 3-4-3 formation.during his time at Wigan. 

A winger is needed. Doubt 2 is needed. One enough. Need a centre midfielder to partner Smallwood and striker

It might well be ? i didnt dismiss it my point is that all of these are just rumours as it stands until they happen. Im not saying its not true it may well be. My point was more that i dont get too hung up on rumours until they happen. You dont know for sure, in particular the Bodin one which has come from a dodgy source and after hes gone elsewhere. Ive never said Armstrong isnt coming he may well do and ive said if the rumour is true then hed be for me good back up to Graham no more.

Didnt he go down? Personally i think a change of formation after a run of 7 wins and 3 draws in 10 would be absolutely mental, luckily ive seen nothing to suggest that its something on the horizon. 

Agree to disagree on that. With Antonsson and Chapman out injured we are left with 2 slow wide men, who i think both deserve to not be in the team at the moment, based on a total inability to either contribute with goals or even that many assists, added to which a lack of pace means that for me our central 2 of Dack and Graham have been left feeding on scraps. 

After 2 wingers, id agree that maybe a striker and central midfielder to provide depth could be ideal.

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It might well be ? i didnt dismiss it my point is that all of these are just rumours as it stands until they happen. Im not saying its not true it may well be. My point was more that i dont get too hung up on rumours until they happen. You dont know for sure, in particular the Bodin one which has come from a dodgy source and after hes gone elsewhere. Ive never said Armstrong isnt coming he may well do and ive said if the rumour is true then hed be for me good back up to Graham no more.

Didnt he go down? Personally i think a change of formation after a run of 7 wins and 3 draws in 10 would be absolutely mental, luckily ive seen nothing to suggest that its something on the horizon. 

Agree to disagree on that. With Antonsson and Chapman out injured we are left with 2 slow wide men, who i think both deserve to not be in the team at the moment, based on a total inability to either contribute with goals or even that many assists, added to which a lack of pace means that for me our central 2 of Dack and Graham have been left feeding on scraps. 

After 2 wingers, id agree that maybe a striker and central midfielder to provide depth could be ideal.

I tempt to go 2 up top with a diamond shape midfield behind them. With Smallwood in front of back front with Bennett and Whittingham either side and Dack in 10 role with 2 strikers up top. Could be a way of playing to give us 2 strikers and Dack in the same side. 

Armstrong wont be a back up here he be starting here. Otherwise I dont think he would come. Hes has to perform here but his record in this league was very good. 

Whittingham doesn't have the leg to cover much distance defensively. Bennett, Smallwood and Lowe would do the job, with Tomlinson and Conway as backup. 

Armstrong would be a very good signing at this level, Mowbray has worked with him in the past and knows how to get the best out of him. Also hope we can capture Bell, we really need more depth and competition at left back.

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I tempt to go 2 up top with a diamond shape midfield behind them. With Smallwood in front of back front with Bennett and Whittingham either side and Dack in 10 role with 2 strikers up top. Could be a way of playing to give us 2 strikers and Dack in the same side. 

Armstrong wont be a back up here he be starting here. Otherwise I dont think he would come. Hes has to perform here but his record in this league was very good. 

Not a fan of teams without width. Luckily no sign that Mowbray will randomly change.

14 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Has anyone stopped to think that Bell will be the winger? He's got that pace we need too

Hope not. Need a square peg for a square hole. No players in wrong positions. We need proper wingers not auxilliary full backs and strikers.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not a fan of teams without width. Luckily no sign that Mowbray will randomly change.

Hope not. Need a square peg for a square hole. No players in wrong positions. We need proper wingers not auxilliary full backs and strikers.

Any names for this pacey winger you want?

32 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You've remembered that Mowbray wants one too, right? Not just roversfan99.

I do. 

I only asked a simple question. 

I'm struggling for a player suggestion for a pacey winger who we should go for. Just thought he might have a name

17 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Can we please stop saying on low wages Lowe makes sense etc. Lowe does not make sense on any level. He is mobile and can get around the pitch, unfortunately that doesnt usually involve the ball or have any bearing at all on the game. As I said about him a year or two ago, he either marks space or runs about a bit whilst the game goes on around him.

You wouldn't sign me up to play for a fiver a week purely on the basis I was cheap, I can't do the job.

Neither can Lowe. We shouldn't be looking to touch him with a bargepole at any price.

If you HAD to have one who would it be Bennett or Lowe.

• Backroom

I expect an announcement on a signing today based on nothing more than the fact  that the social media guy said he's got a busy day ahead.

I also have a busy day lying on the sofa and building Lego before I reluctantly go back to work tomorrow but announcing signings isn't part of my plan so I could be reading too deep into that one! 

• Backroom

Confirmation at least that Lowe is merely seen as a temporary stop-gap if we are even interested.

Glad that deals are under wraps, personally. It's how we did business under Williams (particularly with Hughes as manager). Remember having the likes of Samba, Santa Cruz and Warnock appear with less than a day's notice.

Then again, media has changed in only 10 years.

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

I expect an announcement on a signing today based on nothing more than the fact  that the social media guy said he's got a busy day ahead.

I also have a busy day lying on the sofa and building Lego before I reluctantly go back to work tomorrow but announcing signings isn't part of my plan so I could be reading too deep into that one! 

What's his Twitter handle?? 

Archived