BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One concern I have is with the number of absentees we have through injury and suspension. This has been ongoing all season. I don't recall ever there being a stage where we have had a clean bill of health or a full strength squad to select from.

Lenihan, Chapman, Antonsson, Evans, Whittingham, Dack, Graham, Conway and Samuel have all had sustained periods of absence through injury/illness/not being fully fit this season. All I believe when fully fit and firing are very strong players for this level. Yet none have had more than a short run of games where it has happened. Lenihan would have been an important first XI player yet has missed the entire first half of the season and counting. Chapman was extremely effective at opening teams up then had a serious long term injury. Antonsson was hitting form not long since with the goals and is now out for a month. Whittingham I felt had his best game in a Rovers shirt vs Scunthorpe and is now apparently injured. Samuel and Graham are our 2 main strikers yet both have been in and out. Dack was a peripheral player through most of the season until hitting some form in November. Graham now showing his worth but it has taken several months to reach that. Whenever Samuel has chipped in with some goals he has missed games soon after. I believe that Evans is capable of being a good player for us but injury issues are preventing that. Conway barely featured until recently due to fitness.

Smallwood now set to face his second suspension of the season, him being one of the small number who have remained fit and injury free so far. Bennett another who seems to keep fit but has missed too many games through silly and needless suspensions.

Very frustrating because it means we never get any consistency going in selection for more than a couple of games at a time, and I'm convinced that if we could do our results and performances would become more consistent.

But we have to look close to home for why this is happening. Discipline isn't what it should be really.

• Backroom

Solid enough signing, presume we are paying peanuts as well, problem is it's not one that improves us in the short term so let's hope more follow 

Many years ago I was at a wigan game and after it went into the wigan supporters club with some friends.

At the time wigan were struggling for goals and my mates decided to start a rumour . They started mentioning to people around us that they had just seen Dean Saunders gettting out of a car and walking off with Dave Whelan.

Within 10mins everyone in this supporters club is talking about it and what a good signing saunders would be.

We sat there laughing and later went home and thought no more of it until picking up the Wigan Evening News on Monday, where the back 3 pages where all about Dean Saunders and how latics where on the verge of signing him.

Funny story, but the obvious moral of it, dont believe any of the BS you read during these windows, becasue it really is that simple to fool everyone. Including reporters who are so eager to be the 1st to report it

12 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Has anyone stopped to think that Bell will be the winger? He's got that pace we need too

I've pointed out that Mowbray might be looking to switch to a 3-5-2 for the rest of the season, with two wing-backs. If Mowbray is going to sign him as a left-winger in a 4-4-2, then on his head be it; Bell is, first and foremost, a left-back. We are going to end up with a mess of a squad if we sign square pegs for round holes.

Only my opinion but I think Mowbray has been desperate to get to that 3-5-2 system all season.

If we can get Bell over the line I can easily see him and Bennett being "wing backs" for the rest of the season.

Lowe and Smallwood to form a "base" in front of the back 3, with Dack in a "free role" behind the forwards. Probably Graham and that Armstrong guy with Samuel & Nuttall on the bench.

Back 3 with Mulgrew in the middle, and a choice of Downing, Williams, Nyambe & Lenihan when fit to join him.

6 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Only my opinion but I think Mowbray has been desperate to get to that 3-5-2 system all season.

If we can get Bell over the line I can easily see him and Bennett being "wing backs" for the rest of the season.

Lowe and Smallwood to form a "base" in front of the back 3, with Dack in a "free role" behind the forwards. Probably Graham and that Armstrong guy with Samuel & Nuttall on the bench.

Back 3 with Mulgrew in the middle, and a choice of Downing, Williams, Nyambe & Lenihan when fit to join him.

I agree that it appears to have been Mowbray's desire from the start to deploy this system. Looks to me like the Hart signing was with this in mind but he isn't good enough. Also telling that the U23s started using this formation presumably on Mowbray's instruction although they carried it out far more successfully than the first team.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

One concern I have is with the number of absentees we have through injury and suspension. This has been ongoing all season. I don't recall ever there being a stage where we have had a clean bill of health or a full strength squad to select from.

Lenihan, Chapman, Antonsson, Evans, Whittingham, Dack, Graham, Conway and Samuel have all had sustained periods of absence through injury/illness/not being fully fit this season. All I believe when fully fit and firing are very strong players for this level. Yet none have had more than a short run of games where it has happened. Lenihan would have been an important first XI player yet has missed the entire first half of the season and counting. Chapman was extremely effective at opening teams up then had a serious long term injury. Antonsson was hitting form not long since with the goals and is now out for a month. Whittingham I felt had his best game in a Rovers shirt vs Scunthorpe and is now apparently injured. Samuel and Graham are our 2 main strikers yet both have been in and out. Dack was a peripheral player through most of the season until hitting some form in November. Graham now showing his worth but it has taken several months to reach that. Whenever Samuel has chipped in with some goals he has missed games soon after. I believe that Evans is capable of being a good player for us but injury issues are preventing that. Conway barely featured until recently due to fitness.

Smallwood now set to face his second suspension of the season, him being one of the small number who have remained fit and injury free so far. Bennett another who seems to keep fit but has missed too many games through silly and needless suspensions.

Very frustrating because it means we never get any consistency going in selection for more than a couple of games at a time, and I'm convinced that if we could do our results and performances would become more consistent.

But we have to look close to home for why this is happening. Discipline isn't what it should be really.

You've left out/forgotten all about the midfield colossus that is Gladwin. Tomlinson was missing for a big chunk of the season for " personal reasons " also.

I could be wrong but I'll bet that Shrewsbury have more or less the same team all season. 

45 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Not keen on it we just don't have the personnel for it but if he recruits a few of the correct calibre it might work. I'd rather see us just try and improve on what we have though instead of a big change as I reckon it'll be done as much to accommodate as anything else at the moment.

By the way how many good news signings will it take before they announce Lowe I wonder :lol:

Just now, tomphil said:

Not keen on it but we just don't have the personnel for it but if he recruits a few of the correct calibre it might work. I'd rather see us just try and improve on what we have though instead of a big change as I reckon it'll be done as much to accommodate as anything else at the moment.

If he does play that system it'll be so Whittingham can get a game.

27 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If he does play that system it'll be so Whittingham can get a game.

And Lenihen I reckon as once he's fit the bean counters won't want him on the bench every week.

It would be quite a gamble for TM to switch to 3-5-2 at this stage of the season. At the beginning of the season the fans were calling for him to not to be too fancy in this division and go with a basic 4-4-2. Eventually we did and it paid dividends.

He wouldn't even play Dack at the start of the season either as I recall.

Just now, tomphil said:

And Lenihen I reckon as once he's fit the bean counters won't want him on the bench every week.

Good point, if he is thinking of going 3-5-2 it might be to accomodate Lenihan in CM seeing as Downing is signing/has signed permanently.

Archived