BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

8 minutes ago, JAL said:

Take it you don't go.

13 minutes ago, JAL said:

No top quality striker lined up then no promotion for Rovers this season .....as Samuel and Nuttall aren't good enough to back up Graham and Dack.

So, in your opinion, Nutall and Samuel are direct replacements for Dack? 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why do you need goals and assists when they try hard?

In all seriousness, they have their place in away games when you’re looking to keep things tight because they do work bloody hard. But when you need to take the game to the opposition at home, or against weaker opponents away, you need a bit of pace and/or flair. You can perhaps get away with one of them in the starting 11 (preferably Bennett) but certainly not both of them in these types of matches.

Six months ago, Downing was a failure and a no-mark at MK Dons; their fans were glad to see the back of him. Now their fans are complaining at signing a "pedestrian" defender, while Downing has done admirably for us in defence, and being let go for peanuts.

It's nice when those quick changes in football work in your favour!

24 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

In all seriousness, they have their place in away games when you’re looking to keep things tight because they do work bloody hard. But when you need to take the game to the opposition at home, or against weaker opponents away, you need a bit of pace and/or flair. You can perhaps get away with one of them in the starting 11 (preferably Bennett) but certainly not both of them in these types of matches.

Agreed. As much as I've never been convinced by Antonsson, I think hes got 7 or 8 goals and a few assists, meaning hes our only winger to contribute with numbers.

As much as I do agree that I'm sure they will play a part, I also think its key to stress that theres no reason to ever go into a game overly defensively from now, baring in mind that weve played Wigan, Shrewsbury, Bradford and Scunthorpe all away, and we are chasing a deficit, meaning that there will never be a game where a draw is a good result, obviously dropped points will happen I'm not saying I expect to go all season winning every game but wins are the only thing we want now.

If we don't sign anyone and both start on Saturday, for me you are playing into the hands of a perhaps technically limited but hard working and resolute Shrewsbury side. Its players like Dack and Graham that they dont have.

7 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

I've pointed out that Mowbray might be looking to switch to a 3-5-2 for the rest of the season, with two wing-backs. If Mowbray is going to sign him as a left-winger in a 4-4-2, then on his head be it; Bell is, first and foremost, a left-back. We are going to end up with a mess of a squad if we sign square pegs for round holes.

You could be right. 

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

I agree that it appears to have been Mowbray's desire from the start to deploy this system. Looks to me like the Hart signing was with this in mind but he isn't good enough. Also telling that the U23s started using this formation presumably on Mowbray's instruction although they carried it out far more successfully than the first team.

The under 23's have been playing that system since last March/April. 

I think Mowbray wants a different formation as Plan B. Ive seen Big Sam using 2 different system at Everton already or Mark Hughes who I've seen used 3 or 4 different systems at Stoke

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It would be quite a gamble for TM to switch to 3-5-2 at this stage of the season. At the beginning of the season the fans were calling for him to not to be too fancy in this division and go with a basic 4-4-2. Eventually we did and it paid dividends.

He wouldn't even play Dack at the start of the season either as I recall.

Dack wasn't fit and injured at the start of the season. 

Maybe Mowbray wants 2 strikers and Dack in the 10 position in the team now. 3-5-2 formation isn't being fancy as Sheff Utd used it and they would the league with it

6 hours ago, J*B said:

The lack of interest in a right back either means to me - 1) he doesn't see it as an issue and is happy with Nyambe and Caddis with Travis around too or 2) he doesn't intend on playing a typical right back.

I'm happy with the right back options. Travis is looking a good player. think he might be 1st choice by end of next season

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Wigan have signed Walker from Hearts, a direct winger apparently who is highly rated.

Bit of a worry that our rivals are stealing a march on us.

was in for the player but decided to go to Wiagn

3 hours ago, JAL said:

Take it you don't go.

I go and Dack is a number 10 player in 4-2-3-1 formation. 

3 hours ago, JAL said:

No, they just don't offer enough to win games like Dack or Graham can.

still young players whilst Dack and Graham are experience players. Samuel and Nuttall will get better by playing more games

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I would prefer Bennett starting most games with a left winger with pace

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You said we need a quality striker to have as back up for Dack though. I am confused. 

We are bringing in Armstrong on loan who I believe was at Brockhall having a medical today

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Agreed. As much as I've never been convinced by Antonsson, I think hes got 7 or 8 goals and a few assists, meaning hes our only winger to contribute with numbers.

As much as I do agree that I'm sure they will play a part, I also think its key to stress that theres no reason to ever go into a game overly defensively from now, baring in mind that weve played Wigan, Shrewsbury, Bradford and Scunthorpe all away, and we are chasing a deficit, meaning that there will never be a game where a draw is a good result, obviously dropped points will happen I'm not saying I expect to go all season winning every game but wins are the only thing we want now.

If we don't sign anyone and both start on Saturday, for me you are playing into the hands of a perhaps technically limited but hard working and resolute Shrewsbury side. Its players like Dack and Graham that they dont have.

Bennett and Conway will be needed to match Shrewsbury work rate and effort on Saturday. I'm hope we bring in a pacey winger in by the weekend 

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

....or Mark Hughes who I've seen used 3 or 4 different systems at Stoke

How's that tactic coming along?

Having a plan B and desperately searching for a formula that works are not the same thing. 

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You could be right. 

The under 23's have been playing that system since last March/April. 

I think Mowbray wants a different formation as Plan B. Ive seen Big Sam using 2 different system at Everton already or Mark Hughes who I've seen used 3 or 4 different systems at Stoke

Dack wasn't fit and injured at the start of the season. 

Maybe Mowbray wants 2 strikers and Dack in the 10 position in the team now. 3-5-2 formation isn't being fancy as Sheff Utd used it and they would the league with it

I'm happy with the right back options. Travis is looking a good player. think he might be 1st choice by end of next season

was in for the player but decided to go to Wiagn

I go and Dack is a number 10 player in 4-2-3-1 formation. 

still young players whilst Dack and Graham are experience players. Samuel and Nuttall will get better by playing more games

I would prefer Bennett starting most games with a left winger with pace

We are bringing in Armstrong on loan who I believe was at Brockhall having a medical today

Bennett and Conway will be needed to match Shrewsbury work rate and effort on Saturday. I'm hope we bring in a pacey winger in by the weekend 

- We disagree on changing formations randomly after picking up 24 points from 10 games. But from where have you assumed thats something that Mowbray would like to do? (Also you mention Stoke who have sacked their manager the other day and Everton whose manager is trying to fix what was a terrible start before he arrived, different circumstances entirely)

- How do you know we bid for Walker, or that Armstrong is specifically having a medical today? 

I think one of Bennett and Conway is more than enough, we need a win they would be happy with a draw so weve got to take it to them, not pick a team thatll play into their hands.

4 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

If it lightens your mood, here's what Hearts fans think of Jamie Walker;)

Walker’s pretty good, will be a decent signing for Wigan.  As we well know if someone is thought to be not busting a gut when they are potentially leaving they get some stick on message boards. To be fair to him he’s been a good player for Hearts but has benn injured of late.

27 minutes ago, Doaksie said:

How's that tactic coming along?

Having a plan B and desperately searching for a formula that works are not the same thing. 

Stoke this season have been poor but I would have backed Mark Hughes after his record there to keep them up

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

- We disagree on changing formations randomly after picking up 24 points from 10 games. But from where have you assumed thats something that Mowbray would like to do? (Also you mention Stoke who have sacked their manager the other day and Everton whose manager is trying to fix what was a terrible start before he arrived, different circumstances entirely)

- How do you know we bid for Walker, or that Armstrong is specifically having a medical today? 

I think one of Bennett and Conway is more than enough, we need a win they would be happy with a draw so weve got to take it to them, not pick a team thatll play into their hands.

He looking to bring a goalscorer striker in Armstrong so I think he looking to go 2 up front in certain games from the start. I don't see coming here to be a subs but a starter. He wanted out of Bolton cos he was fed up playing wide which has been reported by the media in Newcastle has the reason why Newcastle recalled him. 

The Walker bid was mention on here. did you not read that? It was even mention to you by another poster. 

From a decent about Armstrong medical and being at Brockhall today. Nixon also said that Rovers and Newcastle agreed a loan deal over the weekend. 

I cant see signing a winger this week and playing him with limited training time and tactical knowledge. I expected that come and play 4-5-1 like they did against West Ham. Pace coming off the bench in second half come the way we win the game

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

One concern I have is with the number of absentees we have through injury and suspension. This has been ongoing all season. I don't recall ever there being a stage where we have had a clean bill of health or a full strength squad to select from.

Lenihan would have been an important first XI player yet has missed the entire first half of the season and counting. 

If Lenihan had been fit all season and not broken his metatarsal bone, Downing wouldn't be here.

9 hours ago, DE. said:

Downing has performed above expectations since arriving, so irrespective of arguments regarding his suitability if we get promoted I'd say he deserves his contract here. 

Glad to see him sign for us. I still think he looks a little lost without Mulgrew as a partner.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Glad to see Downing over the line but il pass on Armstrong. Can and should do better

really? 

a striker who has experience of scoring goals at this level. very good player. 

Do you have any suggestions of a pacey winger who we could sign?

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

really? 

a striker who has experience of scoring goals at this level. very good player. 

A midget who bar pace has a shockingly poor touch and disastrous goal records at championship level in the last two years? He will go the same way as Adam Campbell.

The leagues have gotten better since he was last down here and his own progress hasn't kicked on. We are not a nursery for the unwanted. We need quality not players who won't challenge what we've got.

why would we stick him on the wing? He's a striker. Jordan Jones for the last month I've mentioned from Kilmarnock. Perfect for us.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Stoke this season have been poor but I would have backed Mark Hughes after his record there to keep them up

He looking to bring a goalscorer striker in Armstrong so I think he looking to go 2 up front in certain games from the start. I don't see coming here to be a subs but a starter. He wanted out of Bolton cos he was fed up playing wide which has been reported by the media in Newcastle has the reason why Newcastle recalled him. 

The Walker bid was mention on here. did you not read that? It was even mention to you by another poster. 

From a decent about Armstrong medical and being at Brockhall today. Nixon also said that Rovers and Newcastle agreed a loan deal over the weekend. 

I cant see signing a winger this week and playing him with limited training time and tactical knowledge. I expected that come and play 4-5-1 like they did against West Ham. Pace coming off the bench in second half come the way we win the game

My question though is, aside from a rumoured transfer target being a striker, what has Mowbray done or said recently that has made you think that hes about to change the formation after an unbeaten run? Or is that your own personal preference?

Graham will no doubt pick up a niggle at some point and Samuel has proved to be quite a disappointing signing so I think Armstrong would make sense to provide competition for Graham but he cant expect to walk straight into our team. Im sure hes aware he will have to fight, if not would we want him anyway?

Think I saw someone say theyd like him, but like all rumours I take them with a pinch of salt until they are on the rovers site. Otherwise we'd have a squad of 60 players by now.

Pace off the bench is what he did with Chapman, and it was just through his own negativity, as we saw when Chapman started and we battered Portsmouth. Opens up space for Dack and Graham. We need pace in the team not sat down on the bench. They will come to sit in, we need to be on the front foot from the start.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

A midget who bar pace has a shockingly poor touch and disastrous goal records at championship level in the last two years? 

The leagues have gotten better since he was last down here and his own progress hasn't kicked on. We are not a nursery for the unwanted. We need quality not players who won't challenge what we've got.

we have agree to disagree on Armstrong. I think its exactly the type of striker we need. good finisher and pace. 

1 minute ago, Dunnfc said:

A midget who bar pace has a shockingly poor touch and disastrous goal records at championship level in the last two years? He will go the same way as Adam Campbell.

why would we stick him on the wing? He's a striker. Jordan Jones for the last month I've mentioned from Kilmarnock. Perfect for us.

I think he could be a good option. But his record this year and last, albeit in the league above certainly dont give him the right to come here expecting us to either put him straight in as number 9 or change the successful formation we currently have. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I think he could be a good option. But his record this year and last, albeit in the league above certainly dont give him the right to come here expecting us to either put him straight in as number 9 or change the successful formation we currently have. 

We will see but I worry he's brought in for the sake of old times. Don't think he's up to much personally. What are the scouts up to if another ex Mowbray player is signing?

Archived