SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Glad to see Downing over the line but il pass on Armstrong. Can and should do better

Would he be a good signing if his name was McArmstrong and came from St Mirren?

Although id prefer perm  signings Armstrong won't be a bad signing  he has scored goals in this league and has pace which we lack.

Just now, islander200 said:

Would he be a good signing if his name was McArmstrong and came from St Mirren?

Although id prefer perm  signings Armstrong won't be a bad signing  he has scored goals in this league and has pace which we lack.

No but Lewis Morgan from St. Mirren weeks ago was there for the taking to take the burden from Dack.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My question though is, aside from a rumoured transfer target being a striker, what has Mowbray done or said recently that has made you think that hes about to change the formation after an unbeaten run? Or is that your own personal preference?

Graham will no doubt pick up a niggle at some point and Samuel has proved to be quite a disappointing signing so I think Armstrong would make sense to provide competition for Graham but he cant expect to walk straight into our team. Im sure hes aware he will have to fight, if not would we want him anyway?

Think I saw someone say theyd like him, but like all rumours I take them with a pinch of salt until they are on the rovers site. Otherwise we'd have a squad of 60 players by now.

Pace off the bench is what he did with Chapman, and it was just through his own negativity, as we saw when Chapman started and we battered Portsmouth. Opens up space for Dack and Graham. We need pace in the team not sat down on the bench. They will come to sit in, we need to be on the front foot from the start.

Armstrong coming here isn't a rumoured target, the deal has been agreed and set to sign here. how many more times do we need go through the same thing? 

Every player has to performed and no-one has the right to walk into our team not even Mulgrew or Dack. 

You take rumours which ever way you want but some posters posted good info, take to trust it

Pace is good but if they sit deep then that will stop pace being effective. I'm not sure how I would go in this game at the minute cos it depend who is available fitness wise and signing wise. Wouldn't surprise me if Samuel played wide right with Bennett and Smallwood in centre midfield if Whittingham and Evans aren't fit.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

We will see but I worry he's brought in for the sake of old times. Don't think he's up to much personally. What are the scouts up to if another ex Mowbray player is signing?

Mowbray and Rigg have only recently put our new scouting network into place and this will take time to find new signings. cant expect miracles in weeks can you? 

You suggest some players and I think no way would I sign them here

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The guy from Kilmarnock that was mentioned a couple of posts ago. Keep up guys !

Do I have to put a smiley face on posts that are "tongue in cheek"?:rolleyes:

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong coming here isn't a rumoured target, the deal has been agreed and set to sign here. how many more times do we need go through the same thing? 

Every player has to performed and no-one has the right to walk into our team not even Mulgrew or Dack. 

You take rumours which ever way you want but some posters posted good info, take to trust it

Pace is good but if they sit deep then that will stop pace being effective. I'm not sure how I would go in this game at the minute cos it depend who is available fitness wise and signing wise. Wouldn't surprise me if Samuel played wide right with Bennett and Smallwood in centre midfield if Whittingham and Evans aren't fit.

Mowbray and Rigg have only recently put our new scouting network into place and this will take time to find new signings. cant expect miracles in weeks can you? 

If you have pace up front the opposition have to play deeper. That gives your midfield more room to play in. If your midfield is stronger than your opponents you should be able to take advantage of that fact. Trouble is our midfield isn't the greatest at present.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Appreciate that and what your saying but Tommy Johnson and co? Who's on our black box or scouting database? Must be more than ex Mowbray players!

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Appreciate that and what your saying but Tommy Johnson and co? Who's on our black box or scouting database? Must be more than ex Mowbray players!

Iv wondered for a long time What Tommy Johnson actually does to earn his wage?

Is he still at the club?On gardening leave or what because he has done sweet fa on terms of recruitment in the Last couple of years.No wonder the club is losing money when we are paying people for nothing.

If anyone on here is at the next fans meeting id appreciate a question put foward about Johnson's role at the club

10 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

I've been asking for months about Tommy Johnson role at the club and what is he actually doing. 

If you look on LinkedIn you can find 3 or 4 Rovers scouts on there. 

I think questions need to been asked about scouting of players and how it is does and who run the scouting network at the next supporter meeting to Mowbray. 

are you going to be part of this Dunnfc?

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Maybe we didn't offer them enough chickens.

haha. I don't know the reason. I don't either know enough about the player to give a big in depth report and analysis why we should have sign him

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Iv wondered for a long time What Tommy Johnson actually does to earn his wage?

Is he still at the club?On gardening leave or what because he has done sweet fa on terms of recruitment in the Last couple of years.No wonder the club is losing money when we are paying people for nothing.

If anyone on here is at the next fans meeting id appreciate a question put foward about Johnson's role at the club

I agree on a question being asked about Tommy Johnson role at the club 

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Armstrong one is a strong rumour and looks like its happening, but its a rumour until it happens or until Mowbray says we are interested. Even if its all true, he could fail a medical, someone could take him last minute, until hes signed its a rumour.

Certainly hope Samuel isnt out wide, last thing we need is another performance where he spends the match sulking and doing absolutely nothing of any use.

Pace opens up space, and puts fear into defences like nothing else.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'm not sure Mowbray is after changing to wing-backs if he's said he's after a winger to replace Chapman.

I've not actually seen us linked with a winger yet? Just a left back and a striker. We should be all over Jon Taylor at Rotherham, direct replacement for Chapman. Very similar players.

Just now, Butty said:

I've not actually seen us linked with a winger yet? Just a left back and a striker. We should be all over Jon Taylor at Rotherham, direct replacement for Chapman. Very similar players.

We were linked with Walker. Someone on here said he'd talked to Rovers. I think that's about it though. I don't think many people guessed our signings in the summer before they happened. Mowbray managed to keep them under wraps. Hopefully there's lots going on behind the scenes.

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

We were linked with Walker. Someone on here said he'd talked to Rovers. I think that's about it though. I don't think many people guessed our signings in the summer before they happened. Mowbray managed to keep them under wraps. Hopefully there's lots going on behind the scenes.

Yeah that's true, under Coyle we knew days beforehand who we were signing somehow :lol:. Different this summer so yeah, hopefully working on a few deals! 

1 hour ago, bazza said:

If Lenihan had been fit all season and not broken his metatarsal bone...

...He'd have been playing for Sheff Utd ;)

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we have agree to disagree on Armstrong. I think its exactly the type of striker we need. good finisher and pace. 

Do you have any suggestions of a pacey winger who we could sign?

What about Anthony Pilkington Chaddy ? Is he catching these days ? We could swap him for Feeney.

Callum Gribin - Man Utd - very talented making his way back from injuries. Understudy to Dack.

Harry Wilson - Liverpool - capped by wales already. Small but a wand of a left foot. Rather diminutive if championship sides come calling. Loan and he's out of contract in the summer. This market we need to target like PNE have with Ben Pearson and Harrop. Would also look at Cameron Brannagan for the centre who did ok with Fleetwood earlier last year.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Callum Gribin - Man Utd - very talented making his way back from injuries. Understudy to Dack.

Harry Wilson - Liverpool - capped by wales already. Small but a wand of a left foot. Rather diminutive if championship sides come calling. Loan and he's out of contract in the summer. This market we need to target like PNE have with Ben Pearson and Harrop. Would also look at Cameron Brannagan for the centre who did ok with Fleetwood earlier last year.

Dont want loans but permanent signings

Archived