SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Boaty said:

The only mini Nicko on here is you sunshine. How's them signings that you told us were coming getting on?

Haha! Bell is coming, Gallagher has been chased for almost 18 months and wants to come, previous manager was up for it but the new one plays him more. The injury to Antonsson has made striker more necessary than Gallagher at the moment. Liverpool a bit busy with Countinho / replacing him at the moment to loan us Adekanye, but it'll still happen.

On 08/01/2018 at 08:51, Tom said:

I expect an announcement on a signing today based on nothing more than the fact  that the social media guy said he's got a busy day ahead.

I also have a busy day lying on the sofa and building Lego before I reluctantly go back to work tomorrow but announcing signings isn't part of my plan so I could be reading too deep into that one! 

So that ‘busy day ahead’ turned out to be taking a photo of an existing player’s hand holding a pen?

I’d hate to have a ‘busy’ job like that. It sounds like a lot of pressure.

#underwhelmed ??

#butexpectedtobebasedonpastexperience ?

#butnotinanegativeway ?

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Very intrigued about this one as I just can’t see him coming into play the Antonsson role when he was unhappy there at Bolton. Width to come in next please Tony.

Exactly. 

I expecting him to be coming here to play up front. He aint coming here as a back up striker. Hes a goalscorer

Maybe 2 strikers up with Dack and Smallwood in centre midfield or 3-5-2 formation..

#Rovers are delighted to announce the loan signing of @NUFC striker Adam Armstrong! 

https://t.co/4mp7GO2UQg

Very intrigued about this one as I just can’t see him coming into play the Antonsson role when he was unhappy there at Bolton. Width to come in next please Tony.

We'll see were he plays, I can't  see him playing up front on his own and if we play two right up front we'll have to play another system. He's  5' 8" tall or short depending which way you look at it  but another Paul Dickov he isn't. I'm 5' 8" as well now and my wife says I'd be perfect if only I was taller !

7 minutes ago, J*B said:

Here comes the next one... Armstrong per the Sky Sports article in Transfer Links thread.

As above this puts an end to any Gallagher deal you would think. Antonsson's injury has its effect. Does it see the emergence of Lowe now to fill that midfield slot Mowbray had identified Gallagher for?

Just now, J*B said:

As above this puts an end to any Gallagher deal you would think. Antonsson's injury has its effect. Does it see the emergence of Lowe now to fill that midfield slot Mowbray had identified Gallagher for?

Hope Lowe doesnt come back.

Hoping for someone better and on permanent deal

From Rich Sharpe

Just spoken to the man himself. He trained with the squad this morning, is fit and available for Saturday's game. https://t.co/WVRRQsCqjo

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Hope Lowe doesnt come back.

Hoping for someone better and on permanent deal

From Rich Sharpe

Just spoken to the man himself. He trained with the squad this morning, is fit and available for Saturday's game. https://t.co/WVRRQsCqjo

I think we will struggle to make many more cash buys. Bell is approx 350k, Armstrong is on good wages. Still need a winger and they want Chapman who would require a fee.

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

I still expect he will be shoehorned into Antonssons role if we fail to sign a winger 

That'll go down well! In all seriousness, as I say it's an intriguing one because there's no obvious position right now in our current set-up other than LW and by all accounts he doesn't want to play there. Please no 3-5-2 Tony.

The clips of his goals for Coventry make him look amazing. Hopefully we get to see similar. One thing that stands out is that he is lighting and very direct. Going off those clips looks a great finisher too. Still,he wasn't in great form with Bolton,granted a level higher and out of position,so let's wait and see. I have a good feeling after definitively researching him by watching his best goals on YouTube. 

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

I still expect he will be shoehorned into Antonssons role if we fail to sign a winger 

Agreed. Nothing suggests a drastic change of position is imminent.

12 minutes ago, J*B said:

Why would a striker signing affect a central midfield one?

Like everyone else I'm confused by signing more strikers if we are only playing one up front. We don't need 5....

Maybe it means we will go 442 properly, or 352?

------------------------------Raya

-----------Nyambe----Downing---Mulgrew

Bell-----Smallwood---Dack----Bennett----Williams

-------------------Graham-----Armstrong

I can see that working. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Why would a striker signing affect a central midfield one?

Because it wasn't originally budgeted for that a striker would be needed. Essentially the Armstrong deal has used the midfielder budget.

That'll go down well! In all seriousness, as I say it's an intriguing one because there's no obvious position right now in our current set-up other than LW and by all accounts he doesn't want to play there. Please no 3-5-2 Tony.

I wouldn't say Antonnson was playing as a conventional left winger. He was loitering on the left but getting into the box every chance he got. That's what I expect Armstrong's role to be.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Like everyone else I'm confused by signing more strikers if we are only playing one up front. We don't need 5....

Maybe it means we will go 442 properly, or 352?

------------------------------Raya

-----------Nyambe----Downing---Mulgrew

Bell-----Smallwood---Dack----Bennett----Williams

-------------------Graham-----Armstrong

I can see that working. 

I see more...

----------------------Raya

------Lenihan Downing Mulgrew

Bennett---Smallwood--Evans-----Bell

-----------------------Dack

------------Graham-------Armstrong

Archived