BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

Armstrong is a great signing, Downing on a permanent is a weird one I would have rather see him sign on a free at the end of the season. We desperately need a winger and if was to be demanding a creative midfielder and Bell. I do like the look of that Turkish guy at Walsall. In the meantime, Feeney out is another good deal for everyone. Overall, looking pretty good. Wigan signing Jamie Walker is a good deal for them he seems pretty good from what I heard from some Scottish friends. I still think automatic promotion is ours to lose. I have a sneaky feeling we will just snip Wigan to the title as well. Lets hope for another strong second half of the season. 

In loan deals I would like to see Hart out on loan. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

From your article above

Bolton Wanderers are keen on signing Armstrong but will have to pay a portion of his £15,000 per week wage packet.

Bolded and underlined for clarity. 

Lets just say you are right and we are paying some of his wages, Feeney going back to Cardiff surely covers this. 

I would imagine Armstrong became available, he is a good player who Mowbray likes, so we signed him. I doubt Antonnssons injury had anything to do with it. 

OK - lets say Bolton where paying 66% and we're on the same deal. It doesn't seem astronomical to think Armstrong will cost us 250K in wages/fees. What sort of a budget do you think we have for January? 500K? 1m? 2m?

The first bid for Bell has been reported at 200K. We've gone back with a second offer - so we can assume we've upped it - lets say, 300K? Plus Downing - who's out of contract in 6 months - lets say we take over his contract over and he's on... 5K a week? Thats another 100k.

Obviously this is all guess work because nobody here knows what the actual figures are or what the budget is. But with guesswork I think we have already committed 600K in this window.

7 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

Armstrong is a great signing, Downing on a permanent is a weird one I would have rather see him sign on a free at the end of the season.

One of the main reasons for signing Downing now is that it frees up another loan spot.

Mowbrays keeps baning on about not wanting to many loans, but I think that's all he will get this month.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

From your article above

Bolton Wanderers are keen on signing Armstrong but will have to pay a portion of his £15,000 per week wage packet.

Bolded and underlined for clarity. 

Lets just say you are right and we are paying some of his wages, Feeney going back to Cardiff surely covers this. 

I would imagine Armstrong became available, he is a good player who Mowbray likes, so we signed him. I doubt Antonnssons injury had anything to do with it. 

I think Antonnson getting a medium time scale injury made Mowbray's mind up about definitely getting another striker in.

15 minutes ago, J*B said:

OK - lets say Bolton where paying 66% and we're on the same deal. It doesn't seem astronomical to think Armstrong will cost us 250K in wages/fees. What sort of a budget do you think we have for January? 500K? 1m? 2m?

The first bid for Bell has been reported at 200K. We've gone back with a second offer - so we can assume we've upped it - lets say, 300K? Plus Downing - who's out of contract in 6 months - lets say we take over his contract over and he's on... 5K a week? Thats another 100k.

Obviously this is all guess work because nobody here knows what the actual figures are or what the budget is. But with guesswork I think we have already committed 600K in this window.

I have no idea what our budget is. I have no idea what we bid for Bell or paid for Downing. I haven't a scooby doo what Downings wages are, same for Armstrongs. 

If I was to bet, I would say we have more of a budget than people think. Also, player wages could be separate from the transfer budget, particularly for Downing as we were going to be paying his wages whether we signed him permanently or not. 

I think we will spend around 500, 000 on fees alone this window. If the right players are available. 

Armstrong looks a proper footballer to me so this signing has to be welcomed. 

Midfield support for Smallwood still required as a priority. 

Has Downing been signed permanently ? Mistake in my view if that is the case. Would have kept him until the end of the season then reviewed. 

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Has Downing been signed permanently ? Mistake in my view if that is the case. Would have kept him until the end of the season then reviewed. 

What if continued playing well and someone else made him an offer? Whats the problem with signing him now in your opinion? 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Yeah he was given 1 and a half year contract so the rest of this season and next 

The Lowe stuff was simply a suggestive Tweet by Andy Bayes - nothing of substance, more a thought than anything. Sites like the72 then snowballed it, even claiming that Lowe was "currently in talks with Rovers"! I doubt they have any journalists connected - they seem to just stick a lot of VAT onto whatever they see on the net.

12 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

The Lowe stuff was simply a suggestive Tweet by Andy Bayes - nothing of substance, more a thought than anything. Sites like the72 then snowballed it, even claiming that Lowe was "currently in talks with Rovers"! I doubt they have any journalists connected - they seem to just stick a lot of VAT onto whatever they see on the net.

Do they even have any journalists? Click bait at its best. Exactly as you say, they just rehash what others have written , or in some cases, blatantly put 2 and 2 together and come up with Lowe. 

• Backroom
28 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Just throwing it out as a idea, could Dack retreat into midfield alongside Smallwood in a 'young Dunn' type role?

He can drive forward with the ball, can pick a quick pass (don't think he's great long-range, mind) and has the aggression to hound the opposition (which is why I like him).

This would ideally solve the midfield conundrum (with Smallwood being capable going forward, but defending as a priority) and a low us to play 2 strikers up top. Easy to transition from 4-4-2 into a 4-3-3.

However, would require a 'byline' winger opposite Bennett.

50 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

One of the main reasons for signing Downing now is that it frees up another loan spot.

Mowbrays keeps banging on about not wanting to many loans, but I think that's all he will get this month.

At last a post which takes us forward.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Armstrong is on 15k a week at NUFC and Bolton where paying the full amount: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/adam-armstrong-told-can-leave-13340916

The deal with Rovers, as written elsewhere hinged on us not paying his full wages. In speculation mode, lets say we are paying 10k now its been agreed - thats 200k before the end of the season in wages alone. Now put a loan fee on top. 

If Armstrong has been brought in to cover Antonsson - rather than being on the hit list all along - that 200K + will have come out of this windows budget.

That makes sense to everyone, right?

Obviously, if Armstrong/A. Striker was always planned to have been brought in, the budget will have it accounted for.

I doubt Bolton were paying more than £4500 a week as thats their limit while they are under an embargo.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/15524199.Shock_EFL_salary_cap_reduction_has_hurt_us__admits_Parkinson/

28 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

The Birmingham Herald were on it as well although I don't know if it was before or after Bayes tweet. There'll be something in it either the club sounding him out or more likely Lowes agents seeing if Rovers might bite.

Either way I would not rule it out and if it happens it'll be one of those tucked in behind hey we've signed X & Y, oh and z.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

We were no doubt contributing to Downing wage already on the loan and also Harper's so there is some double counting to allow for to reduce the outlay

42 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Just throwing it out as a idea, could Dack retreat into midfield alongside Smallwood in a 'young Dunn' type role?

He can drive forward with the ball, can pick a quick pass (don't think he's great long-range, mind) and has the aggression to hound the opposition (which is why I like him).

This would ideally solve the midfield conundrum (with Smallwood being capable going forward, but defending as a priority) and a low us to play 2 strikers up top. Easy to transition from 4-4-2 into a 4-3-3.

However, would require a 'byline' winger opposite Bennett.

Dack played cm for Gillingham - so yes.  Been saying exactly this. 

We're pretty much "as you were" so far imo. I have high hopes for Armstrong but whilst Antonsson has had his critics Armstrong will have to go some in the second half of the season to match the Leeds man's goal output.

The Downing signing may obviously help us next season and beyond but doesn't take us forward this one as he was here anyway. The only real advantage now is that it frees up a potential loan spot as another poster astutely pointed out.

We still need two quality wide men imo, one permanently and one on loan to potentially allow for the eventual recruitment of Chapman. Also some quality in midfield to supplement Smallwood/provide cover for Dack. 

Still think it would be massive if we could offload one or more of the underperforming higher earners Conway/Evans/Bennett/Graham off the books to give us some real wiggle room on wages.

28 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We're pretty much "as you were" so far imo. I have high hopes for Armstrong but whilst Antonsson has had his critics Armstrong will have to go some in the second half of the season to match the Leeds man's goal output.

The Downing signing may obviously help us next season and beyond but doesn't take us forward this one as he was here anyway. The only real advantage now is that it frees up a potential loan spot as another poster astutely pointed out.

We still need two quality wide men imo, one permanently and one on loan to potentially allow for the eventual recruitment of Chapman. Also some quality in midfield to supplement Smallwood/provide cover for Dack. 

Still think it would be massive if we could offload one or more of the underperforming higher earners Conway/Evans/Bennett/Graham off the books to give us some real wiggle room on wages.

Agree re Conway, Evans and Bennett but NOT Graham

3 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Not an ounce of creativity or pace out wide there Bigdoggsteel. Our lack of it is why we struggle to break down teams at home.

Yes, but if we don't have any quality out wide we may as well play an extra striker through the he centre and play through the middle.

What I don't get is having no decent wide players, but play 4231 or 4411 with Antonsson out of position.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong aint coming here to.wide left when he did at Bolton.and both him and Newcastle werent happy about it. 

We only had a budget so many signings

I like that system with those players. Give us Dack behind 2 strikers who one is target man and one is a pacey but both goalscorers

Because you arent going to bring in a quality striker on loan plus wages to sit on the bench are you? 

J*B is right about Armstrong's wages and us not paying them full. Hes right. 

So its either Dack to wide Left or centre mid with Smallwood or its a change of system to 3-5-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 formations

Because he has good sources. 

Just like Ive been telling you that Armstrong was signing here since Friday. 

How do you know hes right :lol: he also said "Obviously this is all guess work because nobody here knows what the actual figures are or what the budget is." You are taking someone elses self-confessed estimations on budgets as facts. Hes not even claiming its 100% accurate.

Fact of the matter is, no one on here knows the budget we have, the wages we are paying, the proportion of wages we pay loanees, any of this information. Everyone is just guessing, speculating, estimating, whatever you want to call it.

And my point is, I wouldnt change a recently successful formation to suit 1 loanee, and I havent seen anything to suggest we will. Not saying we wont as I know as much as you.

Armstrong will get plenty of game time I'm sure, but I wouldn't start moving Dack around, thats for sure, or changing formation, Graham tires so at the moment Armstrong can take advantage at the end of games. That would be in my opinion anyway.

With that last comment you are embarrassing yourself. I never remotely denied it, I was trying to get you to understand what a rumour was. 

Anyway at the weekend, fingers crossed that Lowe, Bell, Paul Gallagher, Armstrong, Josh Morris and the Liverpool winger all start.

Archived