BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

54 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes, but if we don't have any quality out wide we may as well play an extra striker through the he centre and play through the middle.

What I don't get is having no decent wide players, but play 4231 or 4411 with Antonsson out of position.

I’m talking about formation when we get a half decent wide man in. If it’s ‘as we are’ with current injuries then yes agreed, I’d look to do something diffferent at home because Bennett and Conway aren’t good enough at taking the game to the opposition.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Dack played cm for Gillingham - so yes.  Been saying exactly this. 

Don't necessarily see dropping Dack into CM as an issue, only if we were to change formation though. He's been on fire in that role just behind the striker so I wouldn't move him from that slot unless I had too. If he stays in that role he will be our top scorer this season easily. On Armstrong he's a very good signing at this level, Graham struggles to see 90 minutes out these days so having the option to rotate between Graham Armstrong and Samuel looks good enough too me. I'd look at getting Nuttall out on loan if possible, nowhere near ready for this level yet. Would do him wonders to go on loan to league 2 and play regularly. On to the next one anyway, getting a winger in should now be priority number one followed by a centre mid to partner Big Rich, if we get the left back in as well then fair play but I wouldn't be overly bothered if we didn't sign him. 

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Jake Kean gone to Grimsby on loan from Sheffield We'd never having started a match for the Owls. Seems to have hardly started a match since leaving us. 

He's done so well to keep getting paid as a professional footballer so fair play to him.

A truly abysmal goalkeeper

3 minutes ago, Butty said:

Don't necessarily see dropping Dack into CM as an issue, only if we were to change formation though. He's been on fire in that role just behind the striker so I wouldn't move him from that slot unless I had too. If he stays in that role he will be our top scorer this season easily. On Armstrong he's a very good signing at this level, Graham struggles to see 90 minutes out these days so having the option to rotate between Graham Armstrong and Samuel looks good enough too me. I'd look at getting Nuttall out on loan if possible, nowhere near ready for this level yet. Would do him wonders to go on loan to league 2 and play regularly. On to the next one anyway, getting a winger in should now be priority number one followed by a centre mid to partner Big Rich, if we get the left back in as well then fair play but I wouldn't be overly bothered if we didn't sign him. 

He's doing well in the 10 role but by all accounts was at his most dynamic in cm running from deep.  Similar to the old Dunn. Would be an option if we change formation to play 2 up top. 

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

He's doing well in the 10 role but by all accounts was at his most dynamic in cm running from deep.  Similar to the old Dunn. Would be an option if we change formation to play 2 up top. 

Players running with the ball into the last third kill you as a defender. You're compelled to leave whoever you're marking to close down the threat the runner poses. Good players then give the ball to the guy you've just left.

My reservations regarding Dack is his passing. He's an intuitive passer of the ball not a strategic passer of the ball. 

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15817009._He_looked_sharp_in_training____Rovers_boss_Tony_Mowbray_delighted_to_secure_Adam_Armstrong_signature/?ref=mac

TONY Mowbray is delighted to have secured the signature of Adam Armstrong and insists: ‘he looked really sharp in training'

Oh god, not another Gladwin!

He looks a talented lad. Intrigued to see where he's going to play.

Fleetwood Town left back Amari'i Bell isn't a Cardiff City transfer target, WalesOnline understands.

The Bluebirds have instead set their sights on securing a central midfielder and a striker this month, with Gary Madine and Greg Docherty linked.

Bell was touted as a potential target for Neil Warnock's side after Fleetwood boss Uwe Rosler revealed he was prepared to sell. Blackburn are now believed to be in pole position to sign the 23-year-old. 

Bell is a winger. The way we played last year with 3-5-2 means his best position here is attacking wing-back. He brings all the modern qualities that a wing-back needs.

“He has made massive strides and the only negative is that he didn’t sign a new contract. We have to accept that. We will have to sell him.”

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15817009._He_looked_sharp_in_training____Rovers_boss_Tony_Mowbray_delighted_to_secure_Adam_Armstrong_signature/?ref=mac

TONY Mowbray is delighted to have secured the signature of Adam Armstrong and insists: ‘he looked really sharp in training'

Oh god, not another Gladwin!

He looks a talented lad. Intrigued to see where he's going to play.

Good to hear he's looking sharp in training. Always a danger that any new recruit will need to bed in due to not being match fit or given game time. 

Time for another Newcastle fan to play a big part at Ewood.

13 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Adam Armstrong was scoring for fun when he was at Coventry. Practically like a lower league Shearer or Kane. Hopefully he will really go well with Dack. Now, a good winger and a right back please.

What system did Mowbary play when Adam was so prolific at Coventry, bet money on TM trying to emulate that.

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.rslsoapbox.com/2018/1/9/16867326/official-rsl-adam-henley-blackburn-rovers-full-back

Adam Henley finally gets his move to Real Madrid Salt Lake

It's no Bolton Road...

Image result for salt lake city

This is some nonsense right here, I posted similar without a picture in the where are they now thread 3 minutes before this, I demand retribution!

Armstrong is an interesting signing and overall I'm pleased. 

Neither Samuel or Graham have done enough to cement their place as the no 1 striker at the club and be the 1 in our 4-4-1-1 leading the line. So I can see why we may want to go for another striker for that reason. 

Additionally we're a bit short on strikers; with Antonsson much needed on the wing, and not massively suited to up front, we really have only got Graham, Samuel and Nuttall, which is a bit thin given Graham tires/often has injuries, and puts a lot of pressure on Nuttall's shoulders. (I still think Nuttall will be a very good player at this level, but may thrive more if the pressure is not on him.) We were only another striker being injured away from being very thin up top. 

The big worry is are we going to change the formation. It's hard to see Samuel or Graham happy being third choice in a 4-4-1-1 formation, and alongside TM's early season and cup games affinity to play with 3 at the back plus us being linked with a wing back, means there is evidence, contrary to what Chaddy says, that he could well switch to a different formation.  

My worry with this is threefold: 

Firstly if it isn't broke don't fix it. We've got most of our points from this situation - so why mess with a winning formula? Having Plan B is great, but it should only be played when Plan A isn't working. 

Secondly evidence suggests we struggle with other formations. The early season nightmares and formation changes in games have indicated we don't look at all confident when changing to a different formation, which doesn't look good for a formation change. 

Thirdly, it most likely moves our best player Dack, from a position he's excelling in. Dack has looked a lot more limited out wide, and I imagine a move deeper, albeit centrally,  down the pitch into the rough and tumble of centre mid is likewise going to affect his creativity and performance. Limiting our best asset doesn't seem smart to me. 

However, given no one has yet staked a claim alongside Smallwood, and given the lack of creativity but presence of huge work ethic among our wide players, perhaps Dack in the centre might give us a better balance of creativity to work rate in the midfield. I'm not convinced, but it is one possibility of solving the over reliance on Dack to create chances; to throw another body up top and have Dack trying to pull the strings. 

Or maybe TM will keep with teh 4-4-1-1 with a stronger plan B. Perhaps there's nothing to worry about. If it were me I'd have focused more on a couple of midfielders, as with a bit more service I feel our strikers would get a few more goals. Perhaps there's a budget for this too anyway. And Armstrong seems a good player. So yeah, positive but like most of watching Rovers under TM, there's a healthy dose of skepticism and worry thrown in.  

Just now, Tom said:

This is some nonsense right here, I posted similar without a picture in the where are they now thread 3 minutes before this, I demand retribution!

You will have cleverly altered the time of your post with your technical Mod wizardry, but we both know the truth.

11 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Armstrong is an interesting signing and overall I'm pleased. 

Neither Samuel or Graham have done enough to cement their place as the no 1 striker at the club and be the 1 in our 4-4-1-1 leading the line. So I can see why we may want to go for another striker for that reason. 

Additionally we're a bit short on strikers; with Antonsson much needed on the wing, and not massively suited to up front, we really have only got Graham, Samuel and Nuttall, which is a bit thin given Graham tires/often has injuries, and puts a lot of pressure on Nuttall's shoulders. (I still think Nuttall will be a very good player at this level, but may thrive more if the pressure is not on him.) We were only another striker being injured away from being very thin up top. 

The big worry is are we going to change the formation. It's hard to see Samuel or Graham happy being third choice in a 4-4-1-1 formation, and alongside TM's early season and cup games affinity to play with 3 at the back plus us being linked with a wing back, means there is evidence, contrary to what Chaddy says, that he could well switch to a different formation.  

My worry with this is threefold: 

Firstly if it isn't broke don't fix it. We've got most of our points from this situation - so why mess with a winning formula? Having Plan B is great, but it should only be played when Plan A isn't working. 

Secondly evidence suggests we struggle with other formations. The early season nightmares and formation changes in games have indicated we don't look at all confident when changing to a different formation, which doesn't look good for a formation change. 

Thirdly, it most likely moves our best player Dack, from a position he's excelling in. Dack has looked a lot more limited out wide, and I imagine a move deeper, albeit centrally,  down the pitch into the rough and tumble of centre mid is likewise going to affect his creativity and performance. Limiting our best asset doesn't seem smart to me. 

However, given no one has yet staked a claim alongside Smallwood, and given the lack of creativity but presence of huge work ethic among our wide players, perhaps Dack in the centre might give us a better balance of creativity to work rate in the midfield. I'm not convinced, but it is one possibility of solving the over reliance on Dack to create chances; to throw another body up top and have Dack trying to pull the strings. 

Or maybe TM will keep with teh 4-4-1-1 with a stronger plan B. Perhaps there's nothing to worry about. If it were me I'd have focused more on a couple of midfielders, as with a bit more service I feel our strikers would get a few more goals. Perhaps there's a budget for this too anyway. And Armstrong seems a good player. So yeah, positive but like most of watching Rovers under TM, there's a healthy dose of skepticism and worry thrown in.  

I'm not so worried about formation. If we get Bell as well, we are far more suited for a 3-5-2. The biggest problem earlier was that we weren't mobile enough. Armstrong and Bell brings that plus pace. Lenihan back will also help greatly allowing the team stand further up the pitch and effectively make the wing-backs more like wingers. 

Armstrong will bring a new dimension which haven't had for a long time upfront. Real pace and movement. Should work well of Graham and Dacks through balls. 

We still are missing a flair player against teams that sit very deep, so I hope Tony can add that to the mix.

Just now, briansol said:

I'm not so worried about formation. If we get Bell as well, we are far more suited for a 3-5-2. The biggest problem earlier was that we weren't mobile enough. Armstrong and Bell brings that plus pace. Lenihan back will also help greatly allowing the team stand further up the pitch and effectively make the wing-backs more like wingers. 

Armstrong will bring a new dimension which haven't had for a long time upfront. Real pace and movement. Should work well of Graham and Dacks through balls. 

We still are missing a flair player against teams that sit very deep, so I hope Tony can add that to the mix.

Good info on the players' attributes, and that is encouraging. And you are spot on about mobility. (Although truth be told are we really mobile enough for any formation - even 4-4-1-1, there doesn't seem to be the number of goals scored from midfield this formation should bring.) However, even with better suited players I still worry given how appallingly we adapted to other formations. The 2 new players should very well help but it leaves 9 still the same! 

To me with teams that sit deep it's a pace issue, as with good amounts of pace you can still stretch a team with your speed as well as catch them on the break when they attack/their set pieces. Also if a team is giving him space Whittingham or Mulgrew might be able to play it about from deep, but their success is still dependent on the movement in front of them. I reckon the lack of movement might be just as much a problem against teams sitting deep, as the potential for someone playing it from deep. 

11 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We can't sign anyone else until Dack completes his move to Norwich 

It would quickly put a dampener on the Armstrong news if his wage and loan fee were funded by a Dack sale.

Let’s hope you/Nicko are misinformed.

Just now, Stuart said:

It would quickly put a dampener on the Armstrong news if his wage and loan fee were funded by a Dack sale.

Let’s hope you/Nicko are misinformed.

Didn't hear it from Nicko. I can't betray my good source by revealing his identity but he can usually be found standing outside the fox and hounds at 10am daily patiently waiting for opening time and his liquid breakfast 

Archived