BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

Just now, islander200 said:

Didn't hear it from Nicko. I can't betray my good source by revealing his identity but he can usually be found standing outside the fox and hounds at 10am daily patiently waiting for opening time and his liquid breakfast 

Steve K**n isn’t a reliable source.

but he would most definitely be on the sauce. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It would quickly put a dampener on the Armstrong news if his wage and loan fee were funded by a Dack sale.

Let’s hope you/Nicko are misinformed.

I was only messing Stuart I doubt even Venkys would be stupid enough to sell Dack at this stage when promotion is so important 

Just now, islander200 said:

I was only messing Stuart I doubt even Venkys would be stupid enough to sell Dack at this stage when promotion is so important 

1.) You aren’t the first person to raise the Norwich link.

b.) Venkys are that stupid

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Players running with the ball into the last third kill you as a defender. You're compelled to leave whoever you're marking to close down the threat the runner poses. Good players then give the ball to the guy you've just left.

My reservations regarding Dack is his passing. He's an intuitive passer of the ball not a strategic passer of the ball. 

Not speaking from great knowledge on dack from Gillingham days but did he play CM in a '5' or a '4'?  To me he doesn't look like he could play in a central 2 and I doubt he has the legs to defend without taking a lot away from his attacking/goal threat. The front of a 5 (assuming 3-5-2 formation) and behind the front 2 looks about our best bet for him.

I still haven't a clue what formation  Mowbray favours -leaving it to him probably 8-2 !!

The one thing out of all of this is the recognition of what we have now become. This is hardly promotion or bust type spending  which leaves the really big question of what these owners will do if we don't go up this season. Looks like they will take their chance running it on modest funds and if that results in a further downward spiral then so be it.

Concerning.

On 02/01/2018 at 10:51, briansol said:

Kieffer Moore?? Stay away please. The guy had a spell here at Viking (Stavanger) and became a laughing stock. He is seriously lacking in every other department than heading. He was at Viking only because he was released by Yeovil. Look at his stats people. He have one purple patch at a Rotherham team that lumps in the box on every occasion. 

He couldn't even nail down a regular place at Forest Green last season.

We need to aim higher than that. 

Ambitious Championship club, Barnsley, seem to think he's good enough for them.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Never underestimate their ability to screw the club over ! 

We are where we are cos of the Venkys !

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Players running with the ball into the last third kill you as a defender. You're compelled to leave whoever you're marking to close down the threat the runner poses. Good players then give the ball to the guy you've just left.

My reservations regarding Dack is his passing. He's an intuitive passer of the ball not a strategic passer of the ball. 

You mean he's creative? Surely a good thing, an attacking creative midfielder. We have enough strategic sideways backwards passers.

Still waiting for news of a winger to come in. Bell seems more like a left back?

On Armstrong, from the clips, seems like he's pacy and runs into channels. Would probably need Mulgrew or Whittingham to hit him with the balls. Dack seems like a player who runs with the ball and this may be at odds to how Armstrong would like it, needs a passer to see his runs.

Should be interesting to see how it pans out. He was successful with COnventry probably because they had FLeck, Ryan Kent the liverpool winger and Jacob Murphy.

Still, aLways good to welcome a world cup winner into the club. Did he play with Chapman? Oh, I noticed him saying TM is an attack-minded coach eh? Couldn't tell with how we are set up most days.

The 

11 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Good info on the players' attributes, and that is encouraging. And you are spot on about mobility. (Although truth be told are we really mobile enough for any formation - even 4-4-1-1, there doesn't seem to be the number of goals scored from midfield this formation should bring.) However, even with better suited players I still worry given how appallingly we adapted to other formations. The 2 new players should very well help but it leaves 9 still the same! 

To me with teams that sit deep it's a pace issue, as with good amounts of pace you can still stretch a team with your speed as well as catch them on the break when they attack/their set pieces. Also if a team is giving him space Whittingham or Mulgrew might be able to play it about from deep, but their success is still dependent on the movement in front of them. I reckon the lack of movement might be just as much a problem against teams sitting deep, as the potential for someone playing it from deep. 

To be honest the teams at this level are so poor (not excluding ourselves here) that we don't need to worry about the counter attack so much. Fast players who can score or pass accurately are at a premium (we've got one of the few in the league in Dack). In my estimation we could press higher up the pitch and leave space behind. 

Much more of an issue is sitting deep and conceding set pieces, which is where we ship a lot of goals from.

I'd like us to go to 352, press high up and try to dominate teams. Sounds like Bell could work in that formation too.

If we did go down that route it would be worth keeping Nyambe in the back three for his pace in case we did get caught with a counter.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15817042._He_lets_you_play_freely____Rovers_loanee_Adam_Armstrong_relishing_reunion_with_Tony_Mowbray/?ref=mac

“Striker is my position but I like playing in any of the positions across the front four". Armstrong

I presume he means any of the front 4 in a 4-2-3-1? If so he's probably a direct replacement for Antonsson's position. I can't see Mowbray dropping Graham at the moment.  Also says Bolton didn't get the best out of him because of their long ball game.

Maybe we aren't after a winger after all.

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

You mean he's creative? Surely a good thing, an attacking creative midfielder. We have enough strategic sideways backwards passers.

What I mean by that is when he receives the ball he's not really thinking about passing the ball and quite often when he does pass the ball it's because he can no longer run with the ball or dribble any further. That's fine in the role he's playing now but not so good in the midfield role people are looking to put him in.

Having said he could well be an improvement on Whittingham, Evans, etc.

15 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15817042._He_lets_you_play_freely____Rovers_loanee_Adam_Armstrong_relishing_reunion_with_Tony_Mowbray/?ref=mac

“Striker is my position but I like playing in any of the positions across the front four". Armstrong

I presume he means any of the front 4 in a 4-2-3-1? If so he's probably a direct replacement for Antonsson's position. I can't see Mowbray dropping Graham at the moment.  Also says Bolton didn't get the best out of him because of their long ball game.

Mmm, interesting. Him Dack and Chapman behind Graham might be good in the Championship next season :P 

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

The 

To be honest the teams at this level are so poor (not excluding ourselves here) that we don't need to worry about the counter attack so much. Fast players who can score or pass accurately are at a premium (we've got one of the few in the league in Dack). In my estimation we could press higher up the pitch and leave space behind. 

Much more of an issue is sitting deep and conceding set pieces, which is where we ship a lot of goals from.

I'd like us to go to 352, press high up and try to dominate teams. Sounds like Bell could work in that formation too.

If we did go down that route it would be worth keeping Nyambe in the back three for his pace in case we did get caught with a counter.

I think the Key there is to press high up. We've looked at our best when our wingers have pushed high up against their full back eg Rotherham at home, and why having Elliot Ward in the side is so dangerous as he forces us to play deeper.

Having seen Antonsson get amongst the goals from the left perhaps he can see there is scope in our style of play to be effective and, most importantly for any self-recognised striker, score goals. I suspect that as long as he is getting opportunities to put the ball in the back of net he won't mind playing up front, out left or out right. Having seen his highlights reel he's more than capable of using either feet and scoring from distance, everything you want in a winger. More importantly, in my eyes, he has that bit of pace and can beat a man.

Let's hope he can cross the ball better than our current wide players. If so he's onto a winner with me.

25 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What I mean by that is when he receives the ball he's not really thinking about passing the ball and quite often when he does pass the ball it's because he can no longer run with the ball or dribble any further. That's fine in the role he's playing now but not so good in the midfield role people are looking to put him in.

Having said he could well be an improvement on Whittingham, Evans, etc.

Understand and will be the case when he's going at speed towards or in the penalty area and does something quick.

From the little I've seen he has played some good and planned goal or chance creating passes.

I think he played the excellent through ball that resulted in the Antonnsson penalty at Northampton?

• Backroom
41 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Nope, Chaddy has confirmed he won't be playing in Antonssons role and will be starting up front only 

23 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mmm, interesting. Him Dack and Chapman behind Graham might be good in the Championship next season :P 

It's a shame two of them are on loan BDS!

It's also a shame that I doubt we will see Armstrong, Dack & Chapman in the starting line up due to injuries to Chapman. You are right though, that would be a terrific front 4 for this league and, I suspect, a competitive front 4 in the championship. Maybe Graham might need replacing but that's about it.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

It's a shame two of them are on loan BDS!

It's also a shame that I doubt we will see Armstrong, Dack & Chapman in the starting line up due to injuries to Chapman. You are right though, that would be a terrific front 4 for this league and, I suspect, a competitive front 4 in the championship. Maybe Graham might need replacing but that's about it.

I am dreaming we sign them

I like the idea of a fit and hungry Graham with them. A wiley old pro. Murray does it for Brighton in the Premiership :) 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am dreaming we sign them

I like the idea of a fit and hungry Graham with them. A wiley old pro. Murray does it for Brighton in the Premiership :) 

I don't think Graham has been hungry for years judging by the timber he carries these days. I still think he can score us goals but there's no harm in a different option. The more Samuel plays the less impressed I am by him and Nutall is good enough to bring on but I couldn't imagine him leading our line right now.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I don't think Graham has been hungry for years judging by the timber he carries these days. I still think he can score us goals but there's no harm in a different option. The more Samuel plays the less impressed I am by him and Nutall is good enough to bring on but I couldn't imagine him leading our line right now.

I am not convinced by Samuel. 

Do any of you follow him on Instagram? He is always posting videos of him mumbling to songs while driving his car. Not only is it irresponsible and dangerous, it just looks really silly.  I know its not football related, but it grinds my gears.

Football wise he looks to get distracted when things aren't going his way. Not a good sign IMO as defenders get more distracting the higher up the leagues you go. If he thinks he is marked tightly here, he ain't seen nothing yet. 

Archived