SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rog of the rovers said:

I honestly don't think there will ever be a Rovers player I hate with more of a passion than Ashley Ward! His name makes me shudder, He's still number 1 villain in my book, with Leon Best, David Goodwillie, Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu not far behind!

I remember Ward 'diving' in front of the Blackburn End during a game and the home crowd chanted ''OFF OFF OFF''

Ward was shite before we bought him and got worse. I have to admit that he was so useless that I felt embarassed and sorry for him at the time. Silly me, he's a multi millionaire.

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Are you sure?

Jason Lowe, Jason Wilcox, Brown, Ashley Ward, Andrews, Tim Sherwood, and the list goes on and on......

Limited ability in some cases but tried hard and got booed.

I remember Jimmy Quinn getting some fearsome stick when he was at Rovers. And that was during the pre-match warm up ! 

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Last couple of times I've seen him one thing Nuttall has been lacking is effort, just can't consolidate that in my head 

Something seems seriously off with Nuttall's attitude when he's come on as sub recently.

Not condoning it but perhaps he is brassed off about the fact that he earnt his place in the side through merit, scores 4 in 4 or whatever it was then was dropped as soon as he went a game without scoring.

Whereas senior pros like Bennett/Evans /Conway/Graham (up until the last couple of games) can play poorly week after week, month after month, and their place in the set up never really seems to be under threat.

On the rare occasions a young player gets a game and fail to immediately impress the cry goes up that they're not good enough/not ready. The two categories of players are judged by two completely different standards.

3 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Graham has been working his socks off and he isn't the fittest player on our books. It's a shame to see a younger striker then come on for him and do virtually nothing both ways. It's a liability when trying to either kill games off or keep a lead. I think Armstrong is the kind of player that has pace and will do the dirty work as well as get amongst the goals, and even if he's small in stature he will make up for it by giving the opposition's defenders less time on the ball. Both from the start and as an impact sub.

I'd like a left back, a central midfielder and a winger as well now that Antonsson is out and Conway looks short on confidence. I wonder if Conway just has too many niggles to perform to his capacity.

In terms of work rate, Graham has been putting in the graft as you say and its only right that Nuttall and in particular Samuel over a longer period get the same criticism for lack of work ethic.

Graham tiring out defenders for Armstrong to take advantage of could work in theory.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

In terms of work rate, Graham has been putting in the graft as you say and its only right that Nuttall and in particular Samuel over a longer period get the same criticism for lack of work ethic.

I cant believe what I'm reading. Up until the last week or two Graham has (quite rightly) been getting all manner of abuse all season on here for his lack of effort and application.

A couple of decent games and everyone is going on about how hard he works. Unbelievable Jeff.

Let's see if it lasts beyond the transfer window. I very much hope it does but I wouldn't bank on it given his form over the last season and a half.

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yeah. I forgot that Jason Lowe has a side to his game "most fans couldn't see" :lol::lol:

Keith Andrews got booed because he wasn't good enough and came on the advice of a failed manager. He was a poor player for us but not in the same league as Jason Lowe.

Ultimately Lowe presided over the worst Rovers starting 11 in the 21st century and was fundamental to most of our flaws. It is of no surprise that our good run last season coincided with his injury. Every man and his dog could see our weak point but alarmingly he was made our captain. I guess Coyle comes under the special group reserved for those who could "see" Lowe's qualities.

So the point being made was fans won't boo players that put a shift in, I disagree as I'm sure do many more fellow posters.

The above post is a prime example of a poster that failed to engage the brain before putting his feet firmly in his mouth, he couldn't have missed the point more had he tried :lol:

3 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Andrews, Wilcox and Lowe to some extent didn't get stuck in, that could have contributed to the fact. Andrews kept pointing and Lowe has never passed a ball forward in his life. Ward was just out of his depth and looked like a donkey when running.

Fans will always go after someone. I went to a Spurs - Chelsea game a couple of seasons back and couldn't believe how negative some of the Spurs fans were towards Kyle Walker.

It's a sad thing to say but if Andrews played for us now he would be one of our top players. Streets ahead of Lowe. That's how far we have fallen.

9 hours ago, Tom said:

Nope, Chaddy has confirmed he won't be playing in Antonssons role and will be starting up front only 

With regards to Armstrong, we'd better keep the ball on the deck because he looks quite small; so no hoofing it upfield and no crossing the ball. I was hoping for Peter Crouch.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I cant believe what I'm reading. Up until the last week or two Graham has (quite rightly) been getting all manner of abuse all season on here for his lack of effort and application.

A couple of decent games and everyone is going on about how hard he works. Unbelievable Jeff.

Let's see if it lasts beyond the transfer window. I very much hope it does but I wouldn't bank on it given his form over the last season and a half.

Maybe because Samuel and Nuttall are lazy, rubbish players of late. That's why Graham is now preferred.

Interesting quotes from the Bradford City money men on losing out to Blackburn for Adam Armstrong!   Bad Losers imho ...

Abbott on Adam Armstrong potential signing: We were interested and in the running to get him. But I know what Blackburn are paying him and the clauses in his contracts and we can’t and shouldn’t be paying that or having those clauses.

17 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

I bet they are not Santa clauses, just hope it is not that he has to play every game.

Oh dear, looks like it is that.

Regarding Adam Armstrong:

Greg Abbott: "We liked to take Adam. I know the exact details what Blackburn paid for Adam & it would be ridiculous to go down that road. There was a clause payment if he didn't play also."

We shouldn’t be playing any club extra because they’re not good enough to play - they should earn their spot on merit.

Just now, Rogerb said:

Notlob fans seemed to think this was the case on their forum under Alf/Armstrong

I doubt any club would insist on a loan player playing every game , some seem to structure the amount of wages you pay decrease the more they play  .

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Simon - it's been 6/7 weeks now, going back to late November when he turned round the game against Bristol Rovers, not one or two.

Just now, only2garners said:

Simon - it's been 6/7 weeks now, going back to late November when he turned round the game against Bristol Rovers, not one or two.

Not sure I agree with you John  but even going on your reading of events the seasons starts in mid August not the end of November.

Just now, bazza said:

Maybe because Samuel and Nuttall are lazy, rubbish players of late. That's why Graham is now preferred.

Can't really argue with that, he's in by default in many ways.

If money were unlimited I'd be looking for a proven out and out front man at this level but I'd say the wide areas and cover for Dack are more of a priority.

Unless anyone leaves we'll probably have to try and cobble out a passable contribution from Graham, Samuel and Nuttall between them.

• Backroom

Newcastle weren't happy with the game time that Ivan Toney was getting at Wigan so they recalled him.

Hope there's no agreement in place to play Armstrong no matter what 

17 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Can't really argue with that, he's in by default in many ways.

If money were unlimited I'd be looking for a proven out and out front man at this level but I'd say the wide areas and cover for Dack are more of a priority.

Unless anyone leaves we'll probably have to try and cobble out a passable contribution from Graham, Samuel and Nuttall between them.

Wouldn't even put Nuttall in that group, we should try and loan him out if we can. Rotating between Graham Armstrong and Samuel should be enough. Nuttall should be nowehere near the first team for the rest of the season.

Archived