BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Different ways the money men could look at it.

On the one hand if a Championship club came in with £2 million+ now they might decide that the profit there for 6 months 'development' is too much to turn down - tripling or even more their investment in the summer not bad going.

The alternative is that they take a longer term view - if we go up and Dack performs in the Championship then it might get one or two of the bigger boys interested and add additional value to him once he's proven at the level above.

If we get promoted, it's about £6m extra per year. Better than £2m 6months previous.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mike E said:

If we get promoted, it's about £6m extra per year. Better than £2m 6months previous.

True, but they don't work like that. The rewards of promotion to the Premier League in 2014 were far, far greater than profits from selling players but it didn't deter them. Fair enough we were never sat 3rd and so close to automatic promotion but most agree that some sensible investments under a decent manager would have put us in contention for it.

2 million now but fire us to promotion and keep up his good form he's then worth 3 million + in todays rates. Someone just needs to whisper to the Vs he'll be worth 5 mill and they'll hold, as always it'll all about who and what is being breathed in the ear.

In fairness to the Venkys (I can't believe I've written that.....) they do always seem to hold out for a good deal when it comes to selling players, or at least did with recent sales of Hanley, Duffy + Rhodes. In terms of cash value for those players we got a deal worth, and beyond in terms of Hanley, their value. I can't see them selling Dack for £2m. I can't see them accepting anything less than £5m for him. They are stubborn like that.

So who are these mystery money men now residing at Ewood ??? I take it no one on here believes TM when he says, - why sell your best players when i want to build a team for the championship-, have a bit of faith, this is supposed to be a transfer thread all i see are pages of doom and bloody gloom, 3rd in league remember 20 odd games to go. Try to believe eh.

Just now, EgyptianPete said:

So who are these mystery money men now residing at Ewood ??? I take it no one on here believes TM when he says, - why sell your best players when i want to build a team for the championship-, have a bit of faith, this is supposed to be a transfer thread all i see are pages of doom and bloody gloom, 3rd in league remember 20 odd games to go. Try to believe eh.

I admire your optimism.

If you erase everything that happened prior to Tony Mowbray arriving at the club then you're right - no reason to be suspicious or alarmed about what they will do because they have seemingly done things properly in the last 6 months.

Unfortunately their reign of terror didn't start in the summer of 2017 or when Mowbray arrived, so that's why I don't trust them.

I'd like nothing more than them to have decided to do things differently from now on. However, I have fallen for that one several times before (when Bowyer was manager and when Lambert came in). I am not going to get taken in by it again.

53 minutes ago, JHRover said:

True, but they don't work like that. The rewards of promotion to the Premier League in 2014 were far, far greater than profits from selling players but it didn't deter them. Fair enough we were never sat 3rd and so close to automatic promotion but most agree that some sensible investments under a decent manager would have put us in contention for it.

I suppose the difference then was we were losing an astronomical amount of money every month and they needed to stem the flow somehow.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

On the one hand if a Championship club came in with £2 million+ now they might decide that the profit there for 6 months 'development' is too much to turn down - tripling or even more their investment in the summer not bad going.

The alternative is that they take a longer term view - if we go up and Dack performs in the Championship then it might get one or two of the bigger boys interested and add additional value to him once he's proven at the level above.

If we don't get promoted we would probably still get 2 million for Dack.

I honestly am not worried about Dack leaving as I don't think they would sell unless a bid of  4 million+ was offered and I don't see anyone bidding that.

53 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Quite. But let's not forget that "they" have cashed in quick on several occasions previously. Two brought highly  predictable  relegations and at least one saw us escape by the skin of our teeth.

Not much deferred gratification with the crooked Indians!

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Balance of probability. We might get promoted but we will definitely make money on Dack.

Seven years of that lot casts grave doubt in my mind over any logic.

• Backroom

More talk of a lack of central midfield options in this weeks press conference with Evans and Whittingham both out for 4-6 weeks

Lowe to come in tomorrow?

Just an update from Tony’s presser today:

Whittingham out for 4-6 weeks, Antonsson out roughly same time period, Evans out for the weekend.

Highlights even more so our need to strengthen creativity in central midfield this window, especially with the Whittingham news and Evans’ reluctance to pass forwards. Be interesting to see how the young CM i assume we will play (Tomlinson/Travis) gets on! 

Anyone know any CM’s were linked with apart from the messiah lowe?

22 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Evans’ reluctance to pass forwards

Or put in any kind of tackle where he may get hurt.

The guy is no winner. You need winners. An underrated attribute in today's football. Mental strength counts for a lot. From what I have seen, Evans doesn't have it.

We are practically a Smallwood injury away from having no midfield. That on top of the fact a booking will leave him suspended.

We need Lenihan back sharpish and probably a loan signing to help in that area.

Dack in midfield and two up top could be the answer.

All comes back to the fitness of the squad here. It might be exaggeration or paranoia on my part but it really seems our injuries and suspensions have been a recurring problem all season long and appear to be getting even worse.

Inflict the number of missing personnel we have on Wigan or Shrewsbury and they aren't staying in that top 2. Yet they manage to roll on picking similar teams every week without sustaining anywhere near as much absences.

A staggering number of muscular injuries picked up through the season.  

Perhaps the most remarkable part of this is that Mulgrew is one of the few to have remained available virtually all season. Given his track record and importance to the team that has been important.

Very concerned about our constant need to chop, change and re-jig the team to make up for absences and injuries.

Why can't we go:

------------------------Raya

Nyambe Downing Mulgrew Williams

--------------------Smallwood

----Bennett----------------------Conway

------------------------Dack

--------------Graham----Armstrong

23 minutes ago, J*B said:

Why can't we go:

We may well have to go for something similar but it’s so narrow and highlights our lack of midfield in general - both centrally and out wide. We should be using the big Ewood pitch to our advantage with two out and out wingers. Big remainder of the month needed. 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

I admire your optimism.

If you erase everything that happened prior to Tony Mowbray arriving at the club then you're right - no reason to be suspicious or alarmed about what they will do because they have seemingly done things properly in the last 6 months.

Unfortunately their reign of terror didn't start in the summer of 2017 or when Mowbray arrived, so that's why I don't trust them.

I'd like nothing more than them to have decided to do things differently from now on. However, I have fallen for that one several times before (when Bowyer was manager and when Lambert came in). I am not going to get taken in by it again.

Yes i totally understand your point, really i am unsure like you and most fans but somewhere sometime things have to change, probably best supported team in L1 (well away at least) they the money bods cant screw this up can they

27 minutes ago, J*B said:

Why can't we go:

Very narrow ,but it does play to our strengths. God we need wingers 

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

Sell Dack for 2 million? Are you having a laugh when Norwich are selling Pritchard 11 million pounds? He aint worth half that money. Just more overpriced by clubs. 

Simple Dack isnt for sale. Just like Mulgrew isnt

Archived