BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No I believe Mowbray when he says no player will be sold unless he wants them to leave. Like in the summer when some people said Graham, Bennett, Mulgrew and Lenihan would go. All still here

I basically agree with you here but it is bloody minded ignorance, almost willful it would seem, to dismiss the idea he could be sold because TM says anything.  These owners have done it before and could quite easily do it again, JHR even provided examples, but there's none so blind as those who will not see.

On the other hand if it is to be believed that Dack was 750k but with add onsof up to 1.75m I doubt that they'd sell for 2m.  Pritchard is obviously a very good player no matter what some people think and although 11m is a lot, transfer fees have been rising ever more rapidly in recent years, therefore I would imagine it would take 5m or more, like Posh's Marriott,  to make anyone even contemplate it.  If TM really has their trust it shouldn't be hard for him to make the case for Dack being worth more next season or the seasson after that. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dilemma of accepting £2 million now if it is presented, or holding out for the potential £6 million promotion reward has a flawed logic. If he's worth £2 million now, he will still be worth £2 million in the summer. I know I'm trying to assert logic and Venky's together, but there is no gain at all to sell now. If they must sell, wait to the summer at least.

The caveat of course is 'they' desperately need the money now to cover basic operating costs, and somebody has to go. 

Dack leaving would make no sense on any level. 5-6 million would be hard to turn down,but even that amount would make no sense. If he leaves,we don't go up. It's that simple. If he leaves,I will never post here again. I'm that sure he won't and would be that pissed off if he did,I would give up!

You just have to look at the fee's. He has shone in this league and maybe he is worth 2-4m at which we probably wouldnt sell

If we are lucky enough to go up and he continues to shine in the championship, then he suddenly becomes a 10m + player in todays market.

Issue is you maybe get some team thats a bit desperate and has cash and they take a punt that he will succeed in the championship and they overpay and offer 6-7mil.

At that stage he is gone. Its like that through all the leagues and countries now. The numbers just get larger as you go through the levels

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Dack leaving would make no sense on any level. 5-6 million would be hard to turn down,but even that amount would make no sense. If he leaves,we don't go up. It's that simple. If he leaves,I will never post here again. I'm that sure he won't and would be that pissed off if he did,I would give up!

When has any decision that the Chokers have made been based on good sense ? What makes it worse is you can also be pretty sure that the transfer fee would vanish into thin air as usual.

I get why fees have ballooned for premier league players - the TV deal has enlarged and so therefore have the fees.

However it is an incredibly dangerous game for the football league clubs to get involved in the way they are. Their revenue is miniscule compared to prem. There are now so many teams (including us) spending vastly vastly more than they can afford. Only 3 get promoted to the prem each year. All it takes is for an owner to step back and not cover the loss, and the club will go down.

Matter of time before it happens. We're one of the most vulnerable. We're totally dependent on Venkys which is a horrendous situation to be in.

The clubs really should be owned by the fans, and effective limits on spending within revenue and approved debt implemented. Think it will wait for a major implosion to occur before the FA/government are moved to act.

26 minutes ago, Doaksie said:

The dilemma of accepting £2 million now if it is presented, or holding out for the potential £6 million promotion reward has a flawed logic. If he's worth £2 million now, he will still be worth £2 million in the summer. I know I'm trying to assert logic and Venky's together, but there is no gain at all to sell now. If they must sell, wait to the summer at least.

The caveat of course is 'they' desperately need the money now to cover basic operating costs, and somebody has to go. 

I wouldnt sell him for anything less than 10 million right now. Also if hes worth 2 million now, then that can increase next season. If he does the buisness in the championship then his value will increase (as long as he has a contract lasting 3 years at least).

28 minutes ago, Doaksie said:

The logic is that at present Dack is merely a good League One player with potential and his price will reflect that. If he can become a good Championship player his value will increase.

That will require waiting at least 12 months and will hinge on us being in the Championship and Dack managing to make the transition but I suspect that Is what Mowbray will be telling them is likely to happen.

If one of their inner circle starts to think promotion might not happen or that Dack might not make the step up quickly and successfully they might decide taking a 4 fold profit now when cash is on the table is better than gambling and waiting 12-18 months for potential bids of greater value. Take a decent profit now or gamble on more to come with no guarantees.

We all know that in our position you don't sell your best players but they've a long history of doing just that.

Again, that doesn't mean they're necessarily hawking him around potential buyers but that doesn't mean they won't be tempted if Norwich or whoever come along with a shed load of cash.

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When has any decision that the Chokers have made been based on good sense ? What makes it worse is you can also be pretty sure that the transfer fee would vanish into thin air as usual.

I think this would be a step too far. While previous sales weakened us,something had to give after relegation from the premiership and the shelling out of big fees and wages for garbage,mostly under Kean. The first 24 months under venkys was when the damage was done. I'm not saying its all good now,but this season does feel like a turning point. Selling Dack would be the final nail I reckon. Mowbray would walk and we would be screwed. Not even venkys could see a plus side to selling Dack at the moment. 

12 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Wigan signing James Vaughan. Hasn't done the business at Sunderland but that's a big signing for them.

Upgrade on Toney who didn't really do it for them 

A guy that was on loan and doing well has gone to Sheffield utd though. His name escapes me 

Vaughan potentially a very good signing for Wigan that could help them stay top although if Rovers can get Graham sharp and cementing himself as no 1 striker he can be just as good for us.  If he hits a purple patch at the right time it'll be massive for Rovers, tomorrow will be a good start.

We have Dack under contract until 2020, plus an option, so that limits any need to sell him in terms of a depreciating financial asset (which is how we got him from Gillingham relatively cheap).

I could see a scenario where we sell Dack in the summer if we don't get promoted and are seeing £2m+ offers. Then some of that could be reinvested in a couple Dack-like signings. That'd be a pretty reasonable financially and football-wise. Dack's obviously shown he deserves a shot at Championship football, but we can potentially offer him that ourselves fairly soon, so I can't see him kicking up too much of a fuss about missing out on 5 months of Championship football this year, and he's probably already on a decent wage (with promotion clauses).

I suspect the sales of Cairney, Hanley, etc. were due to serious cashflow issues at the time. Cairney's sale even seemed to surprise Bowyer, while Hanley's sale probably coincided with Coyle talking shit about managing fine without Duffy+Hanley with the likes of Greer, Brown, Ward ... (and I'd quibble with saying that money wasn't "reinvested" when it was clearly needed to stem long ongoing losses. It was a long coming reckoning after our financially disastrous first few years in the Championship), but I doubt we're as financially destitute these days at single-digit millions losses versus the £20m+ losses of yesteryear.

Obviously, if Dack is sold and there's no corresponding investment this window, yeah, yeah, then such concerns are valid, but the urgency of our financial predicament has certainly changed.

Just now, tomphil said:

Don't think he's much left in the tank at Champ level but seemed to find goals easy to come by at this level. Hopefully he's a busted flush now, can't believe he's only 29 he's been around forever.

He's the replacement for nick Powell whom apparently wigan have agreed to let go 

6 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:
Pete O'Rourke: Blackburn have agreed a fee with Fleetwood for defender Amari'i Bell
He seems to have been bang on about Rovers for a while now. Rumoured to be £300k.

Hi and Armstrong would be a much quicker option on the left than Williams and Conway.....

Just checked there, Bell was on loan at Coventry in 2015 for 7 games :) 

Archived