BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mowbray is addressing our issues very well. Our left hand side has been poor most of the season. I'm less than convinced with Williams and can only assume he's fearing for his place after this signing. Unless, of course, the dreaded 3 at the back comes into play...........

Now for another central midfielder and if you can get 4 quid for Elliot Ward snap their hand off. Maybe throw in Gladwin too for a BOGOF deal.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Pace has been an achilles heel of ours so im glad we are seeing an injection of it. I would still like a proper winger and we definitely need something in CM even if its a loan for now.

Based off what Mowbray has said I think Bell may be the final permanent signing. He clearly sees Armstrong on the wing and may well look to bring in a CM on loan depending on the injury/suspension situation after Shrewsbury. 

1 minute ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Based off what Mowbray has said I think Bell may be the final permanent signing. He clearly sees Armstrong on the wing and may well look to bring in a CM on loan depending on the injury/suspension situation after Shrewsbury. 

What did Mowbray say?He was quoted in the telegraph today saying we had been speaking to 3 or 4 clubs regarding player's?The telegraph journalist also said Mowbray was still after a Chapman type?

8 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Pace has been an achilles heel of ours so im glad we are seeing an injection of it. I would still like a proper winger and we definitely need something in CM even if its a loan for now.

Do we need a centre midfielder though? We have Smallwood, Evans, Whittingham, Tomlinson and Travis. We may sign a replacement for Harper on loan, but that would more than likely be another inexperienced player. Its tricky at the moment with injuries and Smallwood being close to suspension, but there is no point signing someone if we don't really need them. 

Which leads me to, would Lowe back on loan really be that bad an option? He would be an improvement on Harper, knows the club and has experience in fairness to him. I wonder could we just put an option NOT to buy in the loan deal? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do we need a centre midfielder though? We have Smallwood, Evans, Whittingham, Tomlinson and Travis. We may sign a replacement for Harper on loan, but that would more than likely be another inexperienced player. Its tricky at the moment with injuries and Smallwood being close to suspension, but there is no point signing someone if we don't really need them. 

Which leads me to, would Lowe back on loan really be that bad an option? He would be an improvement on Harper, knows the club and has experience in fairness to him. I wonder could we just put an option NOT to buy in the loan deal? 

Tomlinson and Travis in particular are still quite raw and Evans is always likely to be injured. Id just like competition there really as we have never found the ideal partner for Smallwood. The closest we have got is Whittingham if he has a good day and Tomlinson who is still a little away from being a regular starter imo.

Loan would do for now but surely we can find better than Lowe - our very own MK Dons reject is already 5x the player so there must be others out there. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I know ,I know...I regretted it immediately after writing it 

He would be an improvement on Harper though, wouldn't he? 

How long would it take Lowe to get up to match fitness?He has either been injured or just not involved this season .We already have enough sick notes in that position 

Just now, islander200 said:

How long would it take Lowe to get up to match fitness?He has either been injured or just not involved this season .We already have enough sick notes in that position 

Sooner than it would take him to be a good footballer. 

I am just thinking as a short term back up....actually, sorry. I take it all back. I just remembered back to last season vividly. Ok, ignore my comment 

I don't think we should be contemplating signing a CM on loan (even if it isn't Lowe) just because Smallwood is coming up to a suspension. He'll only be out for 2 games and if push comes to shove a couple of the youngsters can play there, the world won't suddenly come to an end.

The glaring deficiency in the squad staring back at us like an open wound is a decent wide man on either flank and I'm not sure if Armstrong will be the answer in that respect if he left one of his previous Clubs because he didn't want to play out wide but down the  middle.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I don't think we should be contemplating signing a CM on loan (even if it isn't Lowe) just because Smallwood is coming up to a suspension. He'll only be out for 2 games and if push comes to shove a couple of the youngsters can play there, the world won't suddenly come to an end.

The glaring deficiency in the squad staring back at us like an open wound is a decent wide man on either flank and I'm not sure if Armstrong will be the answer in that respect if he left one of his previous Clubs because he didn't want to play out wide but down the  middle.

I wouldn't say no to a central midfielder if he would improve our first 11.Evans is poor imo and Whittinghams hasn't shown the quality I expected. 

Armstrong has said he is happy playing anywhere in a front four.It seems he wasn't happy with Boltons style.

I agree with you that it would be nice to see a quick and tricky wide man sign but wouldn't be against improving the quality of our central midfield 

19 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If he managed to pull off signing a decent mid from somewhere and sold Evans to cover it i'd be bouncing we essentially have two well paid players to cover that one spot because of Evans fragility. There's barely a tackle in either of them.

56 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Reports on Twitter linking us with Callum Mcmanaman. Could do worse, but I'd say it is BS 

More chance of me doing a naked conga down an isle in booths.

Still on high wages, injury prone, never could last more than 70 mins, huge issues with stamina.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've no axe to grind regarding Bell. I'm just surprised we've gone for another left back. We won't fail to get promoted because Williams is an average full back but we may slip up because we haven't got a midfield playmaker.

Spot on. 

3 minutes ago, philipl said:

Sorry to rain on the parade.

Dack leaving this window makes no sense to any party- agreed.

But lose to Shrewsbury tomorrow and the picture changes more than somewhat.

Don't agree. You can make eight points up in a week in this League.

Edit: That's not to say that tomorrow isn't a "must win" game for us though!

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've no axe to grind regarding Bell. I'm just surprised we've gone for another left back. We won't fail to get promoted because Williams is an average full back but we may slip up because we haven't got a midfield playmaker.

We have them,they just aren't playing to their potential. I think Whittingham will improve 

6 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

We have Dack under contract until 2020, plus an option, so that limits any need to sell him in terms of a depreciating financial asset (which is how we got him from Gillingham relatively cheap).

I could see a scenario where we sell Dack in the summer if we don't get promoted and are seeing £2m+ offers. Then some of that could be reinvested in a couple Dack-like signings. That'd be a pretty reasonable financially and football-wise. Dack's obviously shown he deserves a shot at Championship football, but we can potentially offer him that ourselves fairly soon, so I can't see him kicking up too much of a fuss about missing out on 5 months of Championship football this year, and he's probably already on a decent wage (with promotion clauses).

I suspect the sales of Cairney, Hanley, etc. were due to serious cashflow issues at the time. Cairney's sale even seemed to surprise Bowyer, while Hanley's sale probably coincided with Coyle talking shit about managing fine without Duffy+Hanley with the likes of Greer, Brown, Ward ... (and I'd quibble with saying that money wasn't "reinvested" when it was clearly needed to stem long ongoing losses. It was a long coming reckoning after our financially disastrous first few years in the Championship), but I doubt we're as financially destitute these days at single-digit millions losses versus the £20m+ losses of yesteryear.

Obviously, if Dack is sold and there's no corresponding investment this window, yeah, yeah, then such concerns are valid, but the urgency of our financial predicament has certainly changed.

If you look on the Genius account thread you will see the debt has increased by over 17M in the last twelve months to £143M +

Archived