SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, tomphil said:

Vaughan potentially a very good signing for Wigan that could help them stay top although if Rovers can get Graham sharp and cementing himself as no 1 striker he can be just as good for us.  If he hits a purple patch at the right time it'll be massive for Rovers, tomorrow will be a good start.

Thing is Graham should not have to hit a purple patch.  Based on his ability he should be tearing up this league game after game.  What he needs is to get his head right and quit being lazy.and disinterested. Start giving us 100% effort and everything else will follow.  I won't hold me breath though.

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Mowbray is addressing our issues very well. Our left hand side has been poor most of the season. I'm less than convinced with Williams and can only assume he's fearing for his place after this signing. Unless, of course, the dreaded 3 at the back comes into play...........

Now for another central midfielder and if you can get 4 quid for Elliot Ward snap their hand off. Maybe throw in Gladwin too for a BOGOF deal.

It should be no problem for him to get £4 for ward he got £500,000 for Steele.

18 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No I believe Mowbray when he says no player will be sold unless he wants them to leave. Like in the summer when some people said Graham, Bennett, Mulgrew and Lenihan would go. All still here

Chaddy whos money is it ? venkys or Mowbrays ?   Then have another go at the answer.

24 minutes ago, Tony Diamond Inc said:

A dynamic full back can be much more valuable than is being stated on here. Williams is very poor.

Agreed - for those with short memories, consider John Bailey, Kevin Hird, Graham Le-Saux, Chris Price.. 

When your 'wing backs' are on song, the attacking threat of your team is multiplied many times over. When your full backs are pedestrian and lacking the confidence to get past half way, your attacking capabilities are stifled and reliant on the creativity of the midfield, and we all know how that looks and feels, don't we ;)

Venkys OUT! Backward stawT!

40 minutes ago, Tony Diamond Inc said:

A dynamic full back can be much more valuable than is being stated on here. Williams is very poor.

Both full backs are very poor, was talking about it other week, only to be told off because Nyambe had one half decent game. Both can't defend, just let wingers cross as they want, and both are poor going forward, turning back with the ball or not beating first man with crosses

15 hours ago, Rogerb said:

If you look on the Genius account thread you will see the debt has increased by over 17M in the last twelve months to £143M +

I'm well aware. There's a difference between total debt (most of which we don't really know the terms of) and ongoing operating losses. The latter is much lower now, and I'm suggesting Venky's is well-able to handle losses of £3-7m/year going forward. I obviously don't know that...

31 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Strange thing is Nyambe is a decent dribbler and quick.  Bombing down the line should be the strongest part of his game. 

He isn't a decent dribbler though is he. He's just quick. He has no confidence to utilize his pace by beating a man. It's only been the last couple of games he ventured into the oppositions half and even then he cuts it back and is relying on Bennett to whip it in. Having said all that he has improved in the last few games which I was concerned about as he seemed to has stagnated after a promising start and I was starting to believe he had reached his ability levels. The next six months will define him as a player and show his true ability imo.

37 minutes ago, AAK said:

Both full backs are very poor, was talking about it other week, only to be told off because Nyambe had one half decent game. Both can't defend, just let wingers cross as they want, and both are poor going forward, turning back with the ball or not beating first man with crosses

Repeating it doesn't make it true. Our full backs are a long way from poor in the context of this division. And, once again, Nyambe is a very good defender.

I wouldn't say there were poor, I'd say they were average for this division. On a good day they can be better than average. I just can't see that bringing in another left back is the answer to getting us out of this division. If Tony Mowbray can come up with answers fair play to him but the thought of going to a wing back system in mid season fills me with dread.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

He isn't a decent dribbler though is he. He's just quick. He has no confidence to utilize his pace by beating a man. It's only been the last couple of games he ventured into the oppositions half and even then he cuts it back and is relying on Bennett to whip it in. Having said all that he has improved in the last few games which I was concerned about as he seemed to has stagnated after a promising start and I was starting to believe he had reached his ability levels. The next six months will define him as a player and show his true ability imo.

Exactly. People expect him to be something he's not. He isn't in the team because he can fly down the wing like Le Saux used to. He's in the team because he defends well.  Nyambe is more a Henning Berg type full-back, rarely lets anyone go past him but is not the best going forward.

What people tend to ignore as well, especially the grumbling malcontents on the Riverside, is that when he gets the ball and looks forward there is nothing to pass to. Dack normally has two round him and everyone else bar the striker is normally in our own half. So Nyambe keeps possession as you imagine he is told to do and passes it sideways or back.

I agree with the comments that both full backs are average for this division but not the priority IMO. I'm sure I read that Williams has more goal assists this season than any other player but stand to be corrected.

The focus for me would still be an uncompromising, commanding centre half who organises the defence and instills fear into the opposition in addition to a midfield playmaker or an out and out tricky winger with pace.

What concerns me with Mowbray is he seems to be insistent on signing players that he's previously worked with irrespective of the team's apparent needs.

Isn't Nyambe really a centre half playing at right back though?   , I am sure the the reserve and youth games I saw him play he was more of a central defender , maybe because he is athletic and perhaps not considered tall enough he has been shunted out to right back .... Wow it that sounds like I am trying to defend him ?

Just now, Tony Diamond Inc said:

Agree Nyambe is far from perfect, but he does have some good qualities - strength and pace. He has potential to develop, but we have seen before (Henley, McEveley etc) that potential isn't always fulfilled.

I would be happy to persist with Nyambe, and replace Williams.

Behave, Williams is twice the player than the carthorse Nyambe. 

Kid needs loaning away from Ewood

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Exactly. People expect him to be something he's not. He isn't in the team because he can fly down the wing like Le Saux used to. He's in the team because he defends well.  Nyambe is more a Henning Berg type full-back, rarely lets anyone go past him but is not the best going forward.

What people tend to ignore as well, especially the grumbling malcontents on the Riverside, is that when he gets the ball and looks forward there is nothing to pass to. Dack normally has two round him and everyone else bar the striker is normally in our own half. So Nyambe keeps possession as you imagine he is told to do and passes it sideways or back.

Exactly, having said that a lad of his age, with strength and pace to burn should be getting coached daily to add the attacking aspect to his game. Would be a complete waste of his attributes to not do. If he has the ability to do that, that is to be seen and will be the difference between him being the player he is now and a player we are hanging on to every transfer window. From what I've seen he lacks confidence and concentration more than ability and I don't think the midfield helps him

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

To be fair, he can dribble.  Doesn't seemed to have been encouraged to do so though. 

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Repeating it doesn't make it true. Our full backs are a long way from poor in the context of this division. And, once again, Nyambe is a very good defender.

No he isn't. He isn't good at anything.

Archived