• Last Reply
47 minutes ago, AAK said:

Raya

Nyambe  Mulgrew Lenihan Williams

Payne  Bennett  Smallwood  Chapman

Dack

Graham

Subs - Canadian, Bell, Samuel, Armstrong, Downing, Evans, Whittingham

That could be our squad going into the last 3 months of the season. That is pretty good and only 3 loans, of which two have potential to be made permanent signings, Chapman out of contract and Payne Huddersfield maybe looking to sell.

At this level, on paper that is a good side.

I don't think Mowbray would pick that eleven if he has everybody fit and available to him, but that's another matter.

Oh, and Conway over Evans on the bench for me too.

Maybe Oxford were getting away with a low contribution to his wage whereas we are offering to pay all of it?

Maybe its a loan with a view to a cash buy if we go up and Huddersfield have decided to do a deal on the basis he's unlikely to get in their side if they survive this season.

If this did turn out to be permanent at some point, it would really show that TM is building a young and hungry side of good players. Payne and Dack are both a good age and are among the best players in this league in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree with that but I would have thought one or two other positions need strengthening more.

Need centre mids players. Evans and Whittingham both injured 

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

I'd be happy with him but not another loan.Mowbray has said he wants permanent signings.We need a squad building and Payne is 23 now surely Huddersfield would rather a permanent deal than a temporary one.He has been playing well for Oxford why would they recall him only to loan him out again to a team in the same division. Could understand it if he was going on loan to a championship side

Maybe its a loan deal with a view to permanent deal. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Need centre mids players. Evans and Whittingham both injured 

Maybe its a loan deal with a view to permanent deal. 

Think we could get by in CM now - Bennett was a revelation there and Lenihan cant be far from a return.

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Maybe Oxford were getting away with a low contribution to his wage whereas we are offering to pay all of it?

Maybe its a loan with a view to a cash buy if we go up and Huddersfield have decided to do a deal on the basis he's unlikely to get in their side if they survive this season.

Local Oxford Journo seems to think both of those apply

Looks like an exciting prospect. Goes against Mowbray saying he doesnt like loan signings though.

Still hope we get a winger in, Payne, Dack and Chapman behind Graham would have been ideal if Chapman wasnt basically out for the season. Payne seems like naturally a number 10 so a pacy winger on the other side would give us variation. Rather than relying solely on strikers in wide positions.

Bennett hopefully will continue in central midfield. If so we have enough there with Whittingham, Evans and Tomlinson.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I want a new goalie. Raya is too small and I think we can do better

Raya for me has way more potential than young keepers we've had in recent years a la Kean and Eastwood. Unreal shot stopper and if he works on the rest of his game we'll have a real keeper on our hands. Payne is a very good signing no problems with that.

Get Payne and Bell in and for me it’s transfer window done; and a successful one at that. The options we’d have to change system’s mid game and the cover there is for pretty much every position would see us in good stead. 

Bell, Armstrong, Payne, Downing permanently, added to Lenihan coming back who can slot in at CM if required and hopefully Chapman before the end of the season constitutes a strong window in my eyes. 

I don’t envy Mowbray having to pick an 18 from our full squad. 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I want a new goalie. Raya is too small and I think we can do better

I would say Raya is the least of our problems. He has been good in most of our games this season, and saved us points in quite a few. With proper defending in front of him, he will do just fine( in my opinion).

16 minutes ago, rigger said:

I would say Raya is the least of our problems. He has been good in most of our games this season, and saved us points in quite a few. With proper defending in front of him, he will do just fine( in my opinion).

I would say the jury is still out on Raya, but he is certainly worth sticking with and could become a very good keeper.

40 minutes ago, philipl said:

The confirmed deals so far this window are extremely encouraging.

The offers reported confirm Mowbray sees that the squad needs better strength in depth and he has a bit of cash in hand.

I am happy with what we are seeing thus far.

Highly unusual for us to be signing potentially 4 players mid term. Mowbray must have persuaded the hierarchy that this is our best shot to get out of Dodge. 

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Think we could get by in CM now - Bennett was a revelation there and Lenihan cant be far from a return.

Lenihan is a centre back. Better there. 

Bennett was good there. I would play there sometimes and sometime wide. Depends if we sign Chapman permanently

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Looks like an exciting prospect. Goes against Mowbray saying he doesnt like loan signings though.

Still hope we get a winger in, Payne, Dack and Chapman behind Graham would have been ideal if Chapman wasnt basically out for the season. Payne seems like naturally a number 10 so a pacy winger on the other side would give us variation. Rather than relying solely on strikers in wide positions.

Bennett hopefully will continue in central midfield. If so we have enough there with Whittingham, Evans and Tomlinson.

Mowbray said after the game that Bennett will go back wide. 

Plus we dont know how long Evans and Whittingham are out. 

I believe Payne can play centre mid, wide and number 10 positions which gaves us option. 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Blackburn Rovers are interested in signing attacking midfielder Jack Payne on loan from Huddersfield Town. The 23-year-old spent the first half of the season on loan at Oxford United.

(Source: @TomBarclay_)

Blimey. 

Payne was outstanding against us in the match at Oxford. 

Would be a great signing but he plays the No 10 role so where would he fit in? 

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Blimey. 

Payne was outstanding against us in the match at Oxford. 

Would be a great signing but he plays the No 10 role so where would he fit in? 

Can play centre midfield. Him and Smallwood in centre midfield

Just now, Ricky said:

Are you a box to box midfielder or more of a playmaker Chaddy?

I meant Bennett as you fully aware. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Lenihan is a centre back. Better there. 

Bennett was good there. I would play there sometimes and sometime wide. Depends if we sign Chapman permanently

Mowbray said after the game that Bennett will go back wide. 

Plus we dont know how long Evans and Whittingham are out. 

I believe Payne can play centre mid, wide and number 10 positions which gaves us option. 

Yeah  but we know Evans and Whittingham haven't exactly set the world on fire.

That Rich Sharpe is saying on Twitter that the Payne deal won't be with a option to buy.

Hopefully only his opinion rather than any information he has.I like Payne as a player but I would rather we brought in a couple of permanent signings.So if Payne is joining then i hope it is with an agreement in place to make it permanent in the summer

Archived