BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

56 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lenihan is a centre back. Better there. 

Bennett was good there. I would play there sometimes and sometime wide. Depends if we sign Chapman permanently

Mowbray said after the game that Bennett will go back wide. 

Plus we dont know how long Evans and Whittingham are out. 

I believe Payne can play centre mid, wide and number 10 positions which gaves us option. 

Bennett going back where hes been ineffectual this season would be strange.

Stand by a need to sign up a really pacy winger. Him, Payne and Bell would be a good window. But the winger is crucial.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Bennett going back where hes been ineffectual this season would be strange.

Stand by a need to sign up a really pacy winger. Him, Payne and Bell would be a good window. But the winger is crucial.

Wouldnt at all so he been ineffectual as he does what Mowbray wants and one of Mowbray first name on the team sheet. 

Yes pacey winger is needed but pointless over paying for a player. Most teams know we want one so the price increase. 

Be interest who was bid for this type of player. Wanted Bodin but went Preston. 

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

According to sky sports transfer centre West Brom have made an approach for Cairney.Would we be due any sell on fee?

Rich Sharpe confirming on twitter that we do. Says it’s percentage of the profit earned. Likely to be good sum.

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How much we talking? 15 million I'd guess. I reckon we have a 10-15% sell on clause written in. In venkys we trust! ;)

Meanwhile if they'd have fought Fulham off then it might be us knocking on the door of the top 6 of the Championship with a player on our hands worth £15,000,000 rather than scratching around for loans in the 3rd division wondering what small percentage sell on we might get.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Meanwhile if they'd have fought Fulham off then it might be us knocking on the door of the top 6 of the Championship with a player on our hands worth £15,000,000 rather than scratching around for loans in the 3rd division wondering what small percentage sell on we might get.

Imagine it's about 10 percent. Similar to nzonzi and charges against the profit in transfer fees I.e we got 2.75 million for Cairney and now he goes for 15 million. That's 12.25 million subject to 10%  transfer clause I.e 1.22 million.

It will depend on how the deal is staged as if it's in instalments we'd get 10% of each one as opposed to a lump sum from a lump sum fee.

Bowyer had the final say on Cairney, he chose to sell.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I was told from a usually reliable source that Bowyer wasn't even aware a bid was in for him, let alone that it had been accepted, until Cairney was half way down the M6 to Fulham's training ground. Bowyer then tried to get a chance to stop the deal but was refused by persons above him.

Don't really see for one minute why Bowyer would opt to sell our best player to a side that finished below us whilst still under a transfer embargo knowing full well he'd get little to none of the proceeds to reinvest.

Just so happens that sale ushered in a period of selling anyone who would raise a few quid - Gestede, Hanley, Rhodes and Duffy followed soon after - so the owners certainly made their intentions known at that stage.

1 minute ago, Dunnfc said:

Imagine it's about 10 percent. Similar to nzonzi and charges against the profit in transfer fees I.e we got 2.75 million for Cairney and now he goes for 15 million. That's 12.25 million subject to 10%  transfer clause I.e 1.22 million.

It will depend on how the deal is staged as if it's in instalments we'd get 10% of each one as opposed to a lump sum from a lump sum fee.

Blimey! I have seen it written on here -frequently-that Cairney was sold over Bowyer's head. 

9 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Blimey! I have seen it written on here -frequently-that Cairney was sold over Bowyer's head. 

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I was told from a usually reliable source that Bowyer wasn't even aware a bid was in for him, let alone that it had been accepted, until Cairney was half way down the M6 to Fulham's training ground. Bowyer then tried to get a chance to stop the deal but was refused by persons above him.

Don't really see for one minute why Bowyer would opt to sell our best player to a side that finished below us whilst still under a transfer embargo knowing full well he'd get little to none of the proceeds to reinvest.

Just so happens that sale ushered in a period of selling anyone who would raise a few quid - Gestede, Hanley, Rhodes and Duffy followed soon after - so the owners certainly made their intentions known at that stage.

That's what I was told. Though I'd suggest from my own theory the real answer lies in Bowyer being promised some proceeds which as you know never materialised 

Just now, Dunnfc said:

That's what I was told. Though I'd suggest from my own theory the real answer lies in Bowyer being promised some proceeds which as you know never materialised 

I would say that with 'absentee' landlords, the club is highly unlikely to benefit from any future transfer proceeds from any player. Think about it and who the beneficiaries, if any, may be.

Think we are looking at the right type of players but  I would only commit to more loans with an option to buy.  Basically because if a player does well for us (and there's a good chance they will, coming into a winning side) they will be priced out of a move in summer.  You would imagine players like Payne and Armstrong may be available in summer but no doubt their clubs would want a couple of milllion plus add ons etc.  If they have a great second half of the season, possibly more.   Will Venkys fund that kind of spending - history suggests not.  

One thing that may work for us is young Chapman.  The fact that injury has sidelined him for half a season means he is off the radar a bit now and may keep any compensation low should he sign for us.

Now it maybe that if we go up, TM may get Venkys to invest to some degree to keep the momentum.  Realistically though, our current squad would be competing at the bottom end of the championship.   

There are a few good players at this level who could step up.  Fees and wages at this level are much more sensible than the Championship upwards.  A sensible policy would be to try and cherry pick  the best ones over the next 12-18 months.  

I like Payne and he would be a good signing if we get him in. Don't necessarily agree with those saying he can play on the wing though, he's always been one too play in the Dack role and if he comes he won't be playing there. I guess if we can get him then it's hard to turn down because he's a very solid player at this level. I just hope to god we get an out and out winger in! 

2 hours ago, AJW said:

Initially very excited and impressed with the Jack Payne link.. I just hope and pray it's not as a replacement for Dack ????

That was my first thought.

But you know what I’m like! :rolleyes: 

6 hours ago, philipl said:

The confirmed deals so far this window are extremely encouraging.

The offers reported confirm Mowbray sees that the squad needs better strength in depth and he has a bit of cash in hand.

I am happy with what we are seeing thus far.

cash in hand...the venky way.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That was my first thought.

But you know what I’m like! :rolleyes: 

When was the last time we signed someone in the summer, who played well l but sold the winter transfer window? I’ve had a quick look but I can’t see anyone.

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, Biz said:

When was the last time we signed someone in the summer, who played well l but sold the winter transfer window? I’ve had a quick look but I can’t see anyone.

Fode Koita - well he played well in his first sub appearance at least 

Archived