BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Backroom

The speed of recent transfers would suggest that Mowbray and his friends are currently largely in control of incomings and outgoings. Venky's don't authorise deals as quickly as this when they're in charge - look at the summer of Coyle. 

Doesn't mean they can't pull the rug out from underneath Mowbray, but it seems like for now they've basically handed the reigns over to him and his ex-Coventry buddies and said "get on with it", assumedly with a set budget.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, funny-old-game said:

Don't know if anyone has posted this before as just seen it.

Sheffield Wednesday interested in Mulgrew according to article.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/07/29/blackburn-rovers-fans-issue-warning-to-sheffield-wednesday-after/

Good old Sheff Weds they are this eras Arry Redknapp, linked with any and every decent player we have but signing non ( I bloody hope ).

8 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Pressure’s on, almost seems an air of inevitability on the part of their fans that we’ll catch them at some point.

351C3DA2-0727-410A-83DA-577A0FE83AD8.png

Getting someone on loan who’s spent the season at Oxford is ‘frightening’.

We really are down with the dead men in this league and need to get out sharpish before we are dragged down to their level permanently.

8 hours ago, Biz said:

When was the last time we signed someone in the summer, who played well l but sold the winter transfer window? I’ve had a quick look but I can’t see anyone.

Jordan Rhodes

26 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Seb Perez got sold pretty quickly after signing, and went on to play at a high level. 

Ah but wasn't his kiddie ill and the climate was a problem with the illness so he never really settled? Or was that someone else?

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

We really are down with the dead men in this league and need to get out sharpish before we are dragged down to their level permanently.

You gotta start somewhere we are where we are, and Mowbray is i think doing his damndest to get us promoted, who knows what next season may bring, lets get on with this one first, and apologies for my info on Saturday regarding signings, seems like the ITK was shall we say miss informed. Or maybe Payne came up at the last minute and was better than the chap from Rochdale, i think we know Bell is trying to hold out for a championship team, which is short sighted as we are potentially going to be there, shows me a lack of confidence in himself. 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

TBF he is a young player on contract at  a PL club currently being loaned out for experience.

The fact that we appear still stuck to a large extent in doing loan deals is relevant.

4 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

You gotta start somewhere we are where we are, and Mowbray is i think doing his damndest to get us promoted, who knows what next season may bring, lets get on with this one first, and apologies for my info on Saturday regarding signings, seems like the ITK was shall we say miss informed. Or maybe Payne came up at the last minute and was better than the chap from Rochdale, i think we know Bell is trying to hold out for a championship team, which is short sighted as we are potentially going to be there, shows me a lack of confidence in himself. 

I’ve no problem with the loan, we’ve been doing it for a few seasons now, my point is how amazed these lower league fans/journos are by our ‘spending’ power.

It’s a small time league and by god we need to get out of it ASAP.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Strong work. The ex-prem teams (ourselves, Charlton, Wigan) have much greater pull than most in this league and Tony is exploiting that. 

Looks like his approach is sign quality when it is available. It makes sense as injuries will happen and we will need backup, plus rotation if performance drops from some. 

20 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I’ve no problem with the loan, we’ve been doing it for a few seasons now, my point is how amazed these lower league fans/journos are by our ‘spending’ power.

It’s a small time league and by god we need to get out of it ASAP.

It's all relative. Compared to most teams in this league we're Manchester City. Our wage bill is probably 3-4 x that of the average (has anyone got any stats on that?). It's not really a level playing field and I can understand why other fans comment on it. We are the same when we are in the Prem and up against the Champions League clubs and other big spenders.

But such is life and football.

Archived