SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Is this the first 'scoop' the Telegraph have had? I can't remember the last time that they ran with a story of something happening before the club had confirmed it.

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Getting ahead of myself slightly, but his contract is up at the end of next season, so potentially wouldn't cost the earth if we go up & he's surplus at Huddersfield. 

This my thinking. If Hudds stay up and we get up, I reckon a deal might be in place for that scenario. They won't need him in the PL but should they drop down he would be an option.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Is this the first 'scoop' the Telegraph have had? I can't remember the last time that they ran with a story of something happening before the club had confirmed it.

I had similar first thoughts. They are going out on a limb here - so do they know something?

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Also, he said a player that we bought, who then played 'well' for us and then we sold on for a profit. Anderson was dire and Seb perez hardly set the place alight either.

Hey Ken Furphy did it all the time, i remember he bought One player for 25K  and sold him the week after for 50K , somene said earlier it was bell.

42 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Payne, Armstong, Dack and Chapman - The League 1 Galacticos.

Reminiscent of the attacking options we had when we went up under Souey.

Payne is our David Silva. ;)

Shows how far we've fallen 

Just now, Athlete said:

Shows how far we've fallen 

:lol:

Someone had to be the first to say it I suppose. You forgot the (tm).

Don't know anything about this bloke but we need more creativity and potential cover for Dack.  If he's any good he sounds exactly what we need.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

:lol:

Someone had to be the first to say it I suppose. You forgot the (tm).

Don't know anything about this bloke but we need more creativity and potential cover for Dack.  If he's any good he sounds exactly what we need.

It is annoying to think in the not too distant past we were still competing with some of Europes elite for players... Cheers venkys 

Just now, Athlete said:

It is annoying to think in the not too distant past we were still competing with some of Europes elite for players... Cheers venkys 

We weren't even competing with some of Europe's elite for players after Jack died to be fair.

Unless you class the likes of Benjani and Franny Jeffers in that sort of category.

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We weren't even competing with some of Europe's elite for players after Jack died to be fair.

Unless you class the likes of Benjani and Franny Jeffers in that sort of category.

We signed Benni McCarthy from Porto not long after they'd both won the Champions League...

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Benni Mcarthy and Brett Emerton were both linked with much bigger clubs than us before we signed them 

3 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Payne made 34 appearances for Oxford, including all their 28 in L1.

If he arrives how decent of Huddersfield to agree the loan, what a splendid club, I've always said that ;), maybe Oxford fans would disagree.

Good point, especially when Mowbray questioned whether there were integrity issues with what they did last season. Wagner must not be bothered or bear a grudge.

Bringing in attacking players you can't grumble really there was a time we only signed midfielders some who allegedly could play no 10 as well but never quite managed it

Getting in direct attacking players is fine by me but I hope he sticks to the new look midfield of Bennett & Smallwood as long as he can.

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Santa Cruz from Bayern 

Benny Mccarthy from Porto another champions league winner 

We were signing Lewandowski only for the volcano ash 

So there you go Rev we certainly were 

Just now, tomphil said:

Bringing in attacking players you can't grumble really there was a time we only signed midfielders some who allegedly could play no 10 as well but never quite managed it

Getting in direct attacking players is fine by me but I hope he sticks to the new look midfield of Bennett & Smallwood as long as he can.

Definitely. Don't want to turn a positive into a negative, but I've been so disappointed in how passive Evans has been this year that I would be quite happy for him not to get another look in barring several injuries. 

Not sure if the Smallwood/Bennett partnership would cut it in the division above, but seeing them both getting on the front foot and snapping into tackles was an absolute joy.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

It is all starting to resemble "normal" again in terms of Rovers isn't it JH?

We are linked with players, we chase them, we get them. Barring a few in summer in which most of us said was indicative of bad planning - something TM came out and admitted, saying he had to simply build a squad as quickly as possible from players he knew. Now it seems he and the scouting team have got a plan in place for the remaining 6 months.

I'm excited about the Payne transfer. He was excellent against us when we went to Oxford. I found myself watching him a fair bit and for such a young lad he had a commanding presence about him. I can only hope he, Armstrong & Chapman are on the "to buy" list should get promotion. Or should I say when we get promotion.

As for all this "what Salop are up against" business it's remarkable how we are once again being accused of buying our way out. We have hardly splashed the cash in either window, instead operated shrewdly on loans, cheap end of contract acquisitions and the odd money transfer which has proven to be a fanastic success - Dack. Any fan that begrudges us for that is simply bitter.

Archived