BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I see Payne as a direct replacement for Conway and cover for Dack in case of injury.

Payne's not a winger Tyrone. He had a terrific game against us at Oxford in the No 10 role. He looks a real talent but like Armstrong he's another small, skilful type. We're certainly not building a team of giants

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Athlete said:

Santa Cruz from Bayern 

Benny Mccarthy from Porto another champions league winner 

We were signing Lewandowski only for the volcano ash 

So there you go Rev we certainly were 

You can't count Lewandowski, we never signed him. The other two whilst good weren't players who would have attracted the attention of the real  top Clubs at the time either. McCarthy was approaching the tail end of his career, and Roque's had completely stalled at Bayern.

We must be talking ten years or more ago now as well. Times move on. There's absolutely no guarantee we wouldn't have been relegated from the Prem even without Venky's. We aren't a Bank of England Club like a Man Utd. or an Arsenal

21 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It is all starting to resemble "normal" again in terms of Rovers isn't it JH?

We are linked with players, we chase them, we get them. Barring a few in summer in which most of us said was indicative of bad planning - something TM came out and admitted, saying he had to simply build a squad as quickly as possible from players he knew. Now it seems he and the scouting team have got a plan in place for the remaining 6 months.

I'm excited about the Payne transfer. He was excellent against us when we went to Oxford. I found myself watching him a fair bit and for such a young lad he had a commanding presence about him. I can only hope he, Armstrong & Chapman are on the "to buy" list should get promotion. Or should I say when we get promotion.

As for all this "what Salop are up against" business it's remarkable how we are once again being accused of buying our way out. We have hardly splashed the cash in either window, instead operated shrewdly on loans, cheap end of contract acquisitions and the odd money transfer which has proven to be a fanastic success - Dack. Any fan that begrudges us for that is simply bitter.

A wild guess but I suspect James Vaughn is costing Wigan a lot more than Armstrong or Payne are costing Rovers.

I don't know what these clubs expect when a club like Rovers drops into this league. Of course we should be able to throw more money around and attract better players than Shrewsbury. That isn't arrogance, its a fact of life. Just like Wigan, Sheffield Utd, Wolves, Leicester, Norwich, Southampton etc. have done in spells in this league. With the exception of Sheffield United all of them went straight up and that is what I suspect we need to do.

I'm not celebrating just yet as there's a long way to go in this transfer window alone but for once it is good to be pursuing players proven for the level we are at. It is refreshing to see fans of other clubs envious of our personnel and recruitment having spent the last 3-4 years rummaging around in the cast off and freebie aisle in the Championship.

26 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You can't count Lewandowski, we never signed him. The other two whilst good weren't players who would have attracted the attention of the real  top Clubs at the time either. McCarthy was approaching the tail end of his career, and Roque's had completely stalled at Bayern.

We must be talking ten years or more ago now as well. Times move on. There's absolutely no guarantee we wouldn't have been relegated from the Prem even without Venky's. We aren't a Bank of England Club like a Man Utd. or an Arsenal

I agree times move on and football now is a a different ball game from when we were in the Prem btbh the likes of Burnley  etc are holding their own  and their was no reason that we couldn't as well especially under Williams is shrewd stewardship but obviously venkys and their cohorts didn't want that. 

In a perverse sort of way I am glad venkys and their cohorts missed out on  the riches the Prem now brings ( of which financial analysts actually predicted) 

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Payne's not a winger Tyrone. He had a terrific game against us at Oxford in the No 10 role. He looks a real talent but like Armstrong he's another small, skilful type. We're certainly not building a team of giants

Personally prefer the mentality of signing actual footballers instead of athletes for a change.

Your 'team of giants' remark makes me think of Koln vs Forest when Forest won the European Cup. How height and strength were beaten by pure skill in front of a defence of hard men.

• Backroom
45 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

McCarthy was 27, that's 'prime of career' age!

Huddersfiled owe us a good deal after their playing of a weakened team possibly contributed to us being in this league.

Bennets performance on sat, plus hopefully Leinihan returning asap, we are suddenly looking covered all over with these signings now.

Squad looks very balanced and full of different options

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Definitely. Don't want to turn a positive into a negative, but I've been so disappointed in how passive Evans has been this year that I would be quite happy for him not to get another look in barring several injuries. 

Not sure if the Smallwood/Bennett partnership would cut it in the division above, but seeing them both getting on the front foot and snapping into tackles was an absolute joy.

Yeah I was on about that the other day that in this div particularly if you want to play a decent tempo there's not always a need for a foot on the ball slow it down pass three yards either way all the time guy. Just win it back and get it to the wingers, forwards and of course when needed those two are nippy enough to defend the edge of the area as well.

Midfield has needed a drastic shake up at Rovers for years although obviously a different approach might be needed if we get a division higher but let's worry about that later and try and play with an energy now.

Just now, tomphil said:

Yeah I was on about that the other day that in this div particularly if you want to play a decent tempo there's not always a need for a foot on the ball slow it down pass three yards either way all the time guy. Just win it back and get it to the wingers, forwards and of course when needed those two are nippy enough to defend the edge of the area as well.

Midfield has needed a drastic shake up at Rovers for years although obviously a different approach might be needed if we get a division higher but let's worry about that later and try and play with an energy now.

Evans has been a disaster. I have long since given up all hope of any meaningful contribution -at club level anyway.

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Evans has been a disaster. I have long since given up all hope of any meaningful contribution -at club level anyway.

Bar a couple of little spells under Bowyer I've always been under whelmed with him although he can't help whatever injury he carries these days we've carried him for years. Strangely though I've always seen a different player when he wears green.

Just now, tomphil said:

Bar a couple of little spells under Bowyer I've always been under whelmed with him although he can't help whatever injury he carries these days we've carried him for years. Strangely though I've always seen a different player when he wears green.

Vince the mince was great for Australia too!

I have never come off a game saying "Evans played well today" in the 4 and a half years he has been here,

If anyone can tell me what he is good at I'd love to know, I personally think he is a complete fraud.

Big competition for attacking places if Payne signs. We'll have Graham, Dack, Samual, Nuttall, Antonsson (when fit), Armstrong and Payne who all want to play central ideally.

Dack and Payne in the middle would create so many chances. Maybe we'd get away with just Smallwood in the DM role against weaker teams with Dack/Payne ahead of him.

• Backroom

Great signing, would have been happier if at least one of him, Chapman or Armstrong were permanent deals, feels we really need to make sure we get out of this league this season or could have another building job in summer!

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It is all starting to resemble "normal" again in terms of Rovers isn't it JH?

We are linked with players, we chase them, we get them. Barring a few in summer in which most of us said was indicative of bad planning - something TM came out and admitted, saying he had to simply build a squad as quickly as possible from players he knew. Now it seems he and the scouting team have got a plan in place for the remaining 6 months.

I'm excited about the Payne transfer. He was excellent against us when we went to Oxford. I found myself watching him a fair bit and for such a young lad he had a commanding presence about him. I can only hope he, Armstrong & Chapman are on the "to buy" list should get promotion. Or should I say when we get promotion.

As for all this "what Salop are up against" business it's remarkable how we are once again being accused of buying our way out. We have hardly splashed the cash in either window, instead operated shrewdly on loans, cheap end of contract acquisitions and the odd money transfer which has proven to be a fanastic success - Dack. Any fan that begrudges us for that is simply bitter.

If Salop had sold the amount Rovers have for the cash we did I think they'd be expecting a little decent reinvestment for the first time in years as well.

Plus of course they are a quaint little market town club whereas we are historic football behemoths in comparison so they'll have to lump it :lol:

Archived