BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Backroom
Just now, DanielMB said:

Me neither man.  The only thing i know is that there are reports about several PL clubs chasing him. In that context I tend to believe that he might be a reasonable talent and 1 mil is next to nothing so we might as well keep him around.

Tricky one, £1m invested in the team now could be huge and the lad could be the next Robbie Cotton - or he could be the next Phil Jones! 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DanielMB said:

Me neither man.  The only thing i know is that there are reports about several PL clubs chasing him. In that context I tend to believe that he might be a reasonable talent and 1 mil is next to nothing so we might as well keep him around.

I see your point, but 1 mill isnt next to nothing in this league. It goes a long way

Could be enough to sign chapman and payne permanent for example

1 minute ago, FGS5635 said:

I see your point, but 1 mill isnt next to nothing in this league. It goes a long way

Could be enough to sign chapman and payne permanent for example

It is quite tricky. Will 1 mil now make a big difference? What will it get us? We are doing well right now and have strengthened our squad with two "artists" and might be signing Bell. With 1 mil we can maybe get a decent winger, but you dont want to change to many things in the january window. We must assume that Payne, Armstrong and Bell are starting 11 material.

Talent management is always a game of "what ifs" and "maybes".  A club like Derby is probably happy they didn't sell a guy like Will Hughes when he was 16. On the other hand we have seen players like Robbie Cotton, Adam Henley and even Grant Hanley not fulfil their potential. 

My point is im not sure we should or will use the 1 mil now if we sell him. Maybe in the summer, but I still think Im leaning towards trying to keep him if he is such a talent.

Well he plays central midfield and TM didnt think to put him anywhere near the team at a time when we were really short in that area.

So in tonys eyes at least he isnt close to 1st team ready yet. If and its a big if the 1mil goes to Tony to spend, then its better to spend it now imo and try everything possible to ensure promotion this year

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Well he plays central midfield and TM didnt think to put him anywhere near the team at a time when we were really short in that area.

So in tonys eyes at least he isnt close to 1st team ready yet. If and its a big if the 1mil goes to Tony to spend, then its better to spend it now imo and try everything possible to ensure promotion this year

I know what you're saying but we have already spent more than anyone else and kept our best players from last season. We really shouldn't have to be spending more than we should to get out of this league. We have the players now and plenty of depth - we should have enough and perhaps in a couple of years this kid could be worth 10, 15 or 20 times that valuation.

There is also absolutely no guarantee that this money would be reinvested.

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

I know what you're saying but we have already spent more than anyone else and kept our best players from last season. We really shouldn't have to be spending more than we should to get out of this league. We have the players now and plenty of depth - we should have enough and perhaps in a couple of years this kid could be worth 10, 15 or 20 times that valuation.

There is also absolutely no guarantee that this money would be reinvested.

Thats why you stick in a huge sell on % of 30% maybe. Then if you get burned in a few years you still get a wedge of cash when Everton sell him to Utd, City etc

If you are a well run club and everything is in order like rovers used to be, then you keep the kid and invest in him. We are not that club anymore. We need to focus on the here and now imo and get out this league

For the greater good i'd let him go for 1m upfront at this stage. Equally, Everton are loaded... i'd be trying for 1.5m first! Would be nice to get something like 5% of a future fee regardless. This is, of course, on the assumption Tony gets 1m to spend in this window.

14 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Everton are trying to pay a lot of money for potential. Wright is only 17 and seems to play more for the Academy than the U23's. He's probably nowhere near ready for the 1st team.

The ECHO story says it's a deal worth £1m, not £1m upfront.

9 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Everton are trying to pay a lot of money for potential. Wright is only 17 and seems to play more for the Academy than the U23's. He's probably nowhere near ready for the 1st team.

The ECHO story says it's a deal worth £1m, not £1m upfront.

True but if they want him, they will surely pay the 1mil upfront if we insist. Its peanuts to them really

19 minutes ago, J*B said:

For the greater good i'd let him go for 1m upfront at this stage. Equally, Everton are loaded... i'd be trying for 1.5m first! Would be nice to get something like 5% of a future fee regardless. This is, of course, on the assumption Tony gets 1m to spend in this window.

Do we need anymore players at this stage?The squad is looking a bit overloaded as it is.

I'd like a pacy winger but with the signings he has made this window(I'm including bell)Then he is going to struggle picking an 18 as it is

Just now, islander200 said:

Do we need anymore players at this stage?The squad is looking a bit overloaded as it is.

I'd like a pacy winger but with the signings he has made this window(I'm including bell)Then he is going to struggle picking an 18 as it is

I think the key to that question is how far off Leinihan is off being back.

He ticks the last few boxes really being able to play CM and CB. We are still 1 injury away from Elliot Ward playing every week at the minute :(

That said, there are still plenty players out there that could be big upgrades for us. We would need to move some bodies out though

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

"If we add some players the test for the group is when they’re not playing and left out of the 18, when they don’t get off the bench they have to celebrate and be a part of it because next week it might be them. We’re trying to strengthen this window, not to replace anyone but to help us get through and we have to pick the right team if we can, whether it’s a technical or physical team, we have to have a team to deal with the challenges that are coming up.”

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15845361._We_will_pick_and_choose_his_position__but_Rovers_boss_confident_Adam_Armstrong_will_be_a_hit_at_Ewood_Park/?ref=mac

He wants as many players as possible and it doesn't seem like he's bothered if they get upset or not if they're not in the 18. He's putting the ball in their court  not to be sulky arses.

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Re: Bell, give him a deadline of end of play today, otherwise tell him to do one. Evidently Championship clubs aren't lining up for the lad, and we're hopeful of being there next season, so either climb aboard or don't, Amari'i.

When you seem like the type to believe your own hype,

That's Amari'i ?  ( sorry!)

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

What have we started. What if it is a genuine technicality and he does sign!...Good lyric though...

To be fair it's what you've started. You're the songsmith round these parts. I'm merely riding on your musical coattails!

If he turns out for them on Saturday then it needs to sung at him.

6 hours ago, Garage Flower said:

Either his agent fancies him for a Championship club or he doe himself. No reason why he isn’t coming to Rovers except that. It’s not like he’s got a settled family miles away I bet he wouldn’t even have to move from where he lives now. 

I would imagine Bell's agent is doing everything possible to interest a Championship club, (perhaps renewed interest from Cardiff).

I would give him until the end of the week & then move on.

The worst thing that could happen IMO is for us to keep swooning after him for the rest of the month, and then he finally admit defeat at the death and sign for us. We're surely better than signing somebody who believes in their own hype to think they're too good for us and would likely put in half-arsed displays. Although we've been a basket case in recent years, on the pitch at least we would appear to be a club going in the right direction, so long may that continue.

• Backroom

Fleetwood have been really open in saying they've accepted a bid and still he doesn't seem to have other offers.

If I was him I'd be looking at us thinking if he came here there's a good chance he can get to the next league up with us and be part of something 

Just now, Heinz said:

I wouldnt be surprised if Bell joins us on friday, conveniently after missing the deadline to play against his former club on saturday

They could easily have that written into the deal and I would expect it already has been.

Just now, JacknOry said:

They could easily have that written into the deal and I would expect it already has been.

I think the FA stop things like that going into contracts. It always has to be a verbal agreement

Archived