Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stuart said:

Brave man.

Personally I think Armstrong and Payne coming in is a very telling sign.

Our model seems to be loan a player then If he does well, sign him, and then sell as soon as we have a decent offer in. As a business model it’s great. As a football model it is very risky and unlikely to contribute to success on the pitch. Certainly not mid-season sales.

Bean-counters rule at Ewood...

Mowbray has continually said he doesn't expect or want anyone to be sold. Even in todays paper he said  "we’re trying to strengthen this window, not to replace anyone". It suggests he's been reassured that no-one goes until summer. He's going to look a bit silly now if anyone leaves who he doesn't want to leave.

Norwich are an interesting one they'll be having to cut their cloth soon the parachutes can't have much longer. Delia has a few quid but probably not enough to keep running with a Prem style budget once there's nothing to under pin the borrowings like guaranteed chute money.

Tough times ahead there maybe.

7 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray has continually said he doesn't expect or want anyone to be sold. Even in todays paper he said  "we’re trying to strengthen this window, not to replace anyone". It suggests he's been reassured that no-one goes until summer. He's going to look a bit silly now if anyone leaves who he doesn't want to leave.

Mowbray doesn’t count beans. ;)

Managers look silly all the time. They just trot out the post-sale line that “everyone has a price” and “it was too good an offer to refuse” and that he is there to concentrate on getting the best out of the lads that are still here.

(I hope you and Biz are both right on this, btw)

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Norwich are an interesting one they'll be having to cut their cloth soon the parachutes can't have much longer. Delia has a few quid but probably not enough to keep running with a Prem style budget once there's nothing to under pin the borrowings like guaranteed chute money.

Tough times ahead there maybe.

They are already selling everything they can 

They better bloody not sell him. Even if a substantial offer comes in. Get us up, let him show his worth in the div higher and then and only then, accept silly money for the guy if he wants to leave...if he wants to stay...let him stay.

• Backroom

Good news about S.Hart, he could have some potential but he isn't going to follow through with that potential with the chances he gets here 

42 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

After an average start when he probably wasn't fit it's hard to explain just how good Dack has been. It's not only his ability, which is exceptional at this level, but it's his will to win that's most impressive. He must be a horrible sod to play against.

They would be idiots to sell him. .

Unfortunately we are owned by idiots and there cohorts and carpet baggers 

57 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Brave man.

Our model seems to be loan a player then If he does well, sign him, and then sell as soon as we have a decent offer in. As a business model it’s great. As a football model it is very risky and unlikely to contribute to success on the pitch. Certainly not mid-season sales.

The “bean counters” would be foolish not to look at the potential of increasing our windfall further by being promoted and/or selling after a longer period of success on the pitch - especially when the contract ink is still drying.

I think we’d agree; Its not a financially “sensible” deal to sell someone for a few million profit when 12 more wins pretty much guarantees double that. I don’t think the current climate is comparable to any “Rao model” because they’ve never been consistent in decision making. Especially considering we aren’t the same multi million pound loss making exercise of yesteryear! Just the burden of past mistakes to consider, and since the majority of debt is owed to the family themselves, I doubt they’d be issuing more share capital as recently as January, if they had ambitions of paying it back by small transfer gains.

If Norwich are intent on paying the sums that Dreams spoke of, I’d expect him to leave because it’s a different proposition; a years debt covered + a few bob on transfers.

Not that id be happy in any way if Brad leaves, he’s been a revalation in some ways, an ode to a younger David Dunn and a “talismanic” appeal to support.

2 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Also frees up some budget against EFL rules on wages/turnover.

1500 a week, not even a scratch.

efl rules are different in L1 compared to championship. Can lose as much as we like as long as venkys pump with cash

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Brave man.

Nonsense. How does it appear to be our model? Who have we signed on loan,that went on to do well,leading to us selling them? Give us a couple of examples of "our model" there like a good man. 

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nonsense. How does it appear to be our model? Who have we signed on loan,that went on to do well,leading to us selling them? Give us a couple of examples of "our model" there like a good man. 

Cairney.Gestede are two.

I don't think we will sell Dack this window in saying that every player has their price wether your Manchester United or Blackburn Rovers.

I just don't see any club paying what it would take for Venkys to sell Dack at this point.

I think it would be the final nail for me. Finally a season of cheer and they could derail it with yet another appalling decision. As Biz said, it would take a monumental offer in League 1 terms. Probably the best player in the league for me in an attacking sense and for putting bums on seats.

Wonderful piece of business for us to get him and he will no doubt turn a huge profit at one point. There is just no reasoning for it to be now. Whatever they bid now, even if it was ten million, we would still get that or possibly more in today's market once we are in the Championship.

33 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Cairney.Gestede are two.

I don't think we will sell Dack this window in saying that every player has their price wether your Manchester United or Blackburn Rovers.

I just don't see any club paying what it would take for Venkys to sell Dack at this point.

Cairney was a buy. Josh King on the other hand was a loan turned permanent (but I think it was agreed before the loan that it would get turned permanent in january).

For me it makes sense to get players like Chapman, Payne and Armstrong on loan. Firstly because I don't think the clubs are prepared to sell them at the time of loan. Secondly the club gets to see them perform and how they fit in the group. Also it will be easier to do it permanent as a Championship club.

2 hours ago, Roboftherovers82 said:

Dont see him leaving. 

Why go Norwich when their selling best players like Pritchard, Jerome and possible Maddison. Massive cutbacks and a club struggling to get playoffs. 

Plus with us going for promotion and very likely to get top 2 and be a Championship club next season..why move after 6 months?

Just now, briansol said:

Cairney was a buy. Josh King on the other hand was a loan turned permanent (but I think it was agreed before the loan that it would get turned permanent in january).

For me it makes sense to get players like Chapman, Payne and Armstrong on loan. Firstly because I don't think the clubs are prepared to sell them at the time of loan. Secondly the club gets to see them perform and how they fit in the group. Also it will be easier to do it permanent as a Championship club.

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

I think it would be the final nail for me. Finally a season of cheer and they could derail it with yet another appalling decision. As Biz said, it would take a monumental offer in League 1 terms. Probably the best player in the league for me in an attacking sense and for putting bums on seats.

Wonderful piece of business for us to get him and he will no doubt turn a huge profit at one point. There is just no reasoning for it to be now. Whatever they bid now, even if it was ten million, we would still get that or possibly more in today's market once we are in the Championship.

I think we are getting a little bit worked up over "this article".There is absolutely no substance to it.Norwich will not spend the money that would be needed to buy Dack. They are clearly cutting back sold Pritchard for what was it 11 million?They brought in a 19 year old from spurs on a season long loan as his replacement. 

Just sold Cameron Jerome and are actively trying to sell Olivera too.Also talk that Maddison is on the radar of a few or am clubs.

Apart from Cairney who I think we sold cheaply Venkys haven't sold on the cheap unless contracts had ran down like in the case of Marshall.

Archived