BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

18 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Very happy with adding Bell.

Although Williams has done ok for the last couple of seasons, on this evidence he is a marked improvement, a lot of threatening composure when on the ball.

Yet he seems a natural wing back to me, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we pushed him even further forward.

Let’s Gareth Bale him. Bell will be playing for Real in 5 years mark my words. Maybe just the one Ballon D’Or.

I don’t think Mowbray’s experiment of 3-5-2 should be written off completely.

It was the personnel, and everyone was unsure of the quality of opposition initially.

When Lenihan is back, with Nyambe looking good, it will allow us to get more of our best attacking players on the pitch - which at most levels is far more important than who stands where at kick off.

Would like to have seen some footage of him defending 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'd expect a lot more than just staying up. Payne played a part in Huddersfields promotion and whilst I'm not saying I'd expect that I'd be looking at us perhaps cementing mid table. If you sign Chapman, Armstrong & Payne in the window next summer, plus Bell this window, then you've got a squad of young players that I expect will be more than capable of performing in the Championship. There would seem to be a plan in place that extends far beyond Mowbray's tenure as manager.

With those additions I'd say we would be a right back, centre half, striker and central midfielder away from a decent promotion push in the Championship. This dependant on Raya really kicking on next season and cutting out the silly mistakes.

I agree - im just tempering my expectations really. Who knows what squad we will have then with ins and outs but all i am saying, is that the next step would ultimately be survival at the minimum. My heart says wih that lot we should be a lot higher but at the same time my head is saying "but it's the Venky's".

Just now, JacknOry said:

I agree - im just tempering my expectations really. Who knows what squad we will have then with ins and outs but all i am saying, is that the next step would ultimately be survival at the minimum. My heart says wih that lot we should be a lot higher but at the same time my head is saying "but it's the Venky's".

Let’s get promoted first chaps.

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'd expect a season of consolidation first, BDS. I think bouncing through the leagues is beyond us because I doubt Venkys will give us any serious investment next season. I still expect us to be milling around the kind of figures we have done in summer/winter. A promotion may just rekindle their interest and maybe Baz will chip in with another decent fee. Other clubs have shown that spending isn't necessarily going to guarantee success though (Villa) so the idea of success being impossible without big money transfers is wrong.

However we have to learn mistakes from our last 3 seasons in the Championship. You simply cannot sell the better players and replace with the type of players we were buying, churning them up from the dregs of the transfer market and expect success or even stability.

I do think - and i hold my hands up, that TM is building for the future. No past it journeymen are being signed...its all youngish, up and coming hungry guys with ambition - i like that. Not only is it good for the squad but its resale value. 

he hinted recently that the loans he is doing are not your normal loans where it is goodbye at the end - there is the possibility for more. 

Seriously - if TM gets us up, and stabilizes us in the Championship - i really might have to get that tattoo on my right bum cheek after all. 

With Bell in now - I think we all have to be quite happy with the transfer window (how often has that happened in the last decade?). Having read forums of the likes of Shrews, Charlton, Skunny, Bradford and the like - they are simply in awe. They think that us and Wigan are buying the league (not for the first time for us). 

One of the things most of us moaned about was the lack of pace in the side - well i think that has now been remedied. 

Seriously - if this squad cannot get promoted now god help us. 

What more do we need - yeah a winger and even my 60 year old neighbor would be better than Ward  

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

The principal reason we are not in the top 2 is the very poor start we made to the season. We took just 17 points out of the first 33, dropping 16 points including losing 2 out of the first 3 games.  If we had made a better  start, say 21 or 22 points (still not brilliant), we'd be clear of Shrewsbury and vying with Wigan for top place. 

You have to look at the overall picture, not just our results against the top and bottom sides. 

Nevertheless, it is true to say that we are doing well against the better teams and not cashing in against the poor ones. That, plus our poor start, will be what causes us to miss out on promotion if we do.

There is something wrong there. If we can do it against good teams but can't play at the same level against bad ones, what's the explanation?

I have absolutely no complaints with the recruitment so far , I still think however , that despite Bennett's outstanding performance last week , we could do with another CM , Evans and Whittingham are out of action for a while and Smallwood is 1 booking away from a ban 

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

.@Rovers boss Tony Mowbray is still on the lookout for new recruits.

http://audioboom.com/posts/6607452- 

Surprised we are still on the lookout.A few of our younger players should be sent out on loan as hard to see them getting many minutes now.

This has been a good window so far,a fast winger and an improvement on Evans and Whittingham in the middle would be good 

17 minutes ago, LDRover said:

After all this reasonably good transfer news what are the odds on him sneaking J-Lo in?

It would have been better done sooner.

If Lowe arrives towards the end of next week it puts a downer on matters.

Poor old Jason should never have been captain of this football club, let alone a first team ever-present. If hr had just been a squad player he would have been ok.

Hell, he didn’t even have the decency to leave while under contract so we actually got a transfer fee. All he ever did was take from this club and gave nothing back aside from getting in to training early.

Let’s maintain the current momentum and motivation - and more recent fan contentment.

9 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Well done. It makes sense now doesn't it when you put to 'a certain extent'. Unless you want to quantify 'a certain extent' to some random number of points lead? A 7 point lead, 10, 12? You decide.

The actual context you also missed was that Biz stated because we are League 1 we (or anyone else) couldn't 'blow' teams away due to lack of 'aspects'. I pointed to two teams that have/ are doing it.  Sheff Utd finished 16 points or so clear last year. They blew the league away. That's the context. Wigan have more points than Sheff Utd had this time last season, and we're still 5 points behind them after going 15 unbeaten. To a certain extent etc

Not really, no.

Let's just forget about JLowe after all the excitement of these good signings, like has been said numerous times used correctly as the utility man he is he'd be handy on a 12 month standard league 1 deal. However it doesn't work like that with guys of that ilk (connections) here and if I ever see a midfield starting pair of Evans & Lowe again in blue & white in this or any other division I think i'll leave the country !

I hope we've moved on.

Archived