BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a CM will probably come in and then that will be it for this window. You'd have to say it's been a 10/10 window so far. Added real pace and quality, and no one has left. 

If it was based purely on squads on paper, we should go on to win this league. I also feel this squad would do pretty well in the championship. Miles better than the one that got relegated last year. 

6 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Gladwin will be off on loan soon I would think. Barely had a kick

One of the few duds - was a gamble that did not pay off. He and Hart are the only ones though, the rest of recruitment has been excellent if you ask me.

34 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I think a CM will probably come in and then that will be it for this window. You'd have to say it's been a 10/10 window so far. Added real pace and quality, and no one has left. 

If it was based purely on squads on paper, we should go on to win this league. I also feel this squad would do pretty well in the championship. Miles better than the one that got relegated last year. 

yep - we are now at a stage of - where can we improve this"

Raya

Nyambe- Downing-Mulgrew-Bell/Williams

Smallwood-Bennett

Armstrong/Samuel-Dack-Payne/Antonsson

Graham/Samuel/Nuttall

Then the likes of Evans, Tomlinson and Whits on the Bench. Chapman to come back too.

More cover at CB i would probably say and get Ward out of the club.

If we can turn the likes of Chapman, Armstrong and Payne into permanents at the end of the season - i would be confident going into the championship.

10 hours ago, JacknOry said:

With Bell in now - I think we all have to be quite happy with the transfer window (how often has that happened in the last decade?). Having read forums of the likes of Shrews, Charlton, Skunny, Bradford and the like - they are simply in awe. They think that us and Wigan are buying the league (not for the first time for us). 

One of the things most of us moaned about was the lack of pace in the side - well i think that has now been remedied. 

Seriously - if this squad cannot get promoted now god help us. 

What more do we need - yeah a winger and even my 60 year old neighbor would be better than Ward  

But who is your 60 year old neighbour's agent?

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

Good squad If we sign the loanees permanently. 

Big difference this window is that all players signed are proven at this level and are very likely to improve the team. By proven I mean done well at this level, not just played at it. Contrast Bell to Caddis, Payne to Gladwin and even Armstrong to Antonsson (sp although he's been decent.) All 3 have done well at this level.

Not only that but all add things we've needed cover for or haven't had. Creativity in midfield - less reliant on Dack - attacking options from full back and pace in defence - not had, and hopefully more consistency up front.

Another huge plus os that it allows Williams who is decent to also cover cb. This shunts the liability Ward even further away from the first team.

Overall a good window. 2 positive ones in a row is pretty unheard of round here. However if we don't get promoted with these players TM has failed as a manager. With these recruits though I think we will.

Just now, Blue blood said:

Creativity in midfield - less reliant on Dack

I think that was the key this window and Mogga has done well to get Armstrong and Payne.

Just now, Blue blood said:

However if we don't get promoted with these players TM has failed as a manager

Agreed, but I desperately want him to succeed not only for us but for his sake. I don't agree with everything he says and some of it is ill-thought out, but he does seem to take genuine pride in his job and has respect for the club.

37 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Big difference this window is that all players signed are proven at this level and are very likely to improve the team. By proven I mean done well at this level, not just played at it. Contrast Bell to Caddis, Payne to Gladwin and even Armstrong to Antonsson (sp although he's been decent.) All 3 have done well at this level.

Not only that but all add things we've needed cover for or haven't had. Creativity in midfield - less reliant on Dack - attacking options from full back and pace in defence - not had, and hopefully more consistency up front.

Another huge plus os that it allows Williams who is decent to also cover cb. This shunts the liability Ward even further away from the first team.

Overall a good window. 2 positive ones in a row is pretty unheard of round here. However if we don't get promoted with these players TM has failed as a manager. With these recruits though I think we will.

Yep so great that the scattergun just get bodies in approach has finally gone that system proved damaging in the long run but we now have a very experienced manager holding the reigns for the first time since Allardyce, got to count for something whether people rate TM or don't.

Just now, tomphil said:

Yep so great that the scattergun just get bodies in approach has finally gone that system proved damaging in the long run but we now have a very experienced manager holding the reigns for the first time since Allardyce, got to count for something whether people rate TM or don't.

Any examples of the scattergun approach under Bowyer?

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

We shall never speak of it again.

All I will say to be fair to him he did end up in a position where he had to get numbers in quickly and so did clownpants but this is the first time in a long time there has been any resemblance of a plan.

Just now, Tom said:

Dack is often marked by two or even theee players, now the opposition may need to worry about Armstrong or Payne when they double up on Dack!

Even when marked he is our standout player. Imagine what he could do with a Payne or Armstrong (or both) on the pitch with him.

i really do not see how teams will be able to handle us now. Too many threats with pace and ability at the top end of the pitch.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Very good @Tom but he in fairness he had no money to spend. The taps from his first season in charge had not only been turned off but removed and thrown in the River Darwen.

In fact, his transfer business was probably his best strength. He could spot a player and actually made this club (or the Venky's) some good wedge. it was his negatie tactics that annoyed me despite 'us giving it a right good go'

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Nixon reckons we are in for a midfielder. I really hope we don't see Lowe coming back to the club.Id like to see us take a chance on Camps.Whoever we bring in should be an upgrade on what ever we already have.Our youngsters can act as squad fillers

Just lining himself up - a midfielder, wow, no specifics then. Just can take credit if we do get one.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Just lining himself up - a midfielder, wow, no specifics then. Just can take credit if we do get one.

In fairness earlier today someone on Twitter was giving him the credit for the scoop on the Bell signing and he didn't take it said he wouldn't take credit for a signing he didn't break.He doesn't post much Rovers news these days and has come up with some rubbish but he did have contacts at rovers back in the day it was him who broke the Santa Cruz story amongst others 

Just now, JacknOry said:

Most of his tweets are a variation of the following

"Team A interested in player. Long way to go yet. Manager also looking at other options,including possibly one or two out" 

He blocked me for pointing this out 

Archived