BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

Just now, DE. said:

I hope we faxed a middle finger over with that rejection. Not for sale. 

Don't worry. Transfer window shuts in 9 days. Do you really think anyone will get a reply from Venkys either way in that time !!!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
Just now, Hasta said:

Don't worry. Transfer window shuts in 9 days. Do you really think anyone will get a reply from Venkys either way in that time !!!

Good point, the original bid must have been made some time in November.

We should planning for life in the Championship and seeing as Brum want shut off Lowe, it is very clear that he is not a Championship level player. Smallwood has shown how much of a better player he is. Getting tired of these Lowe rumours tbh and I really don't think TM will bring him in.

More worrying is the continued Dack rumours. He looks to be loving it here and I don't think he himself will be actively seeking a move. More worrying is the money men that might see 5 million from 750k being a good earners within 6 months.

9 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Have you been taking mind altering substances? Bizarre to suggest that Mulgrew has been anything less than exceptional this season! 

And is now attracting PL admirers apparently.

37 minutes ago, AJW said:

Kamy saying in Twitter we've rejected £4m from Cardiff for Bradley Dack 

4 million? You having a laugh. Worth at least 10 mil if Pritchard is worth 11 million. 

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Kamy’s referred to ‘some national media’ and the photo is of a throwaway paragraph from one of the red tops. We’d be bonkers to sell him this window and he seems very happy. Nothing to see here.

Looks like the Sun Newspaper to me. 

Rovers and Mowbray will resist any bids for any key players and probably next season aswell IMO. 

3 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

We should planning for life in the Championship and seeing as Brum want shut off Lowe, it is very clear that he is not a Championship level player. Smallwood has shown how much of a better player he is. Getting tired of these Lowe rumours tbh and I really don't think TM will bring him in.

More worrying is the continued Dack rumours. He looks to be loving it here and I don't think he himself will be actively seeking a move. More worrying is the money men that might see 5 million from 750k being a good earners within 6 months.

If you sell from League One to the Champtionship you'll get 4 or 5 million.

If he does it again in the Championship next year you'll get at least £10million. Look at Cairney now priced around the £20 million mark.

Even the money men would be better off keeping him.

Journalists in Cardiff and some nationals claiming that we have rejected a £4 million bid for Dack.

I get the feeling that with his performances this season that Cardiff and others will be back.  That said and unless Dack pushes for a move (no evidence that this is the case) then I can see Rovers/Venky's resisting unless of course someone makes a ridiculous bid.

Just now, Kamy100 said:

Journalists in Cardiff and some nationals claiming that we have rejected a £4 million bid for Dack.

I get the feeling that with his performances this season that Cardiff and others will be back.  That said and unless Dack pushes for a move (no evidence that this is the case) then I can see Rovers/Venky's resisting unless of course someone makes a ridiculous bid.

Dack has been outstanding this season so its not surprising he will attract interest.

There's not much more we can do than  chuck the offers in the bin one by one as they come in. Selling Dack would spell the end of any promotion challenge imo 

• Backroom

Selling Dack for any money shouldn't be considered, it would signal a huge change in feeling and take the wind right out of the promotion campaign 

For what it's worth Nixon is adamant we won't sell Dack.

I don't think we will sell this window I know teams tend to pay a little more in the January window but his value won't decrease drastically between now and the summer.

If promotion is secured and if a big enough offer comes in then unfortunately I could see Venkys cashing in.

55 minutes ago, Hasta said:

If you sell from League One to the Champtionship you'll get 4 or 5 million.

If he does it again in the Championship next year you'll get at least £10million. Look at Cairney now priced around the £20 million mark.

Even the money men would be better off keeping him.

Unfortunately you've just disproved your own argument there using Cairney as the example. Looking at him now he's one of the most sought after players outside the Premier League and has become an integral player for Fulham in two promotion pushes. Newcastle were rumoured to be interested and were quoted £20 million and WBA were looking last week with reported £15 million bids. Yet we sold him unnecessarily a couple of years ago for just £3 million, despite his obvious potential and importance.

So that's what can happen when the money men make the decisions - we accept bids for our best players, even from league rivals, they move on, the money disappears and the player goes on to be worth 5 or 6 times what we received for him - on that occasion the  money men made the decision to sell and yet hindsight tells us that was a bad decision both footballing and financially.

Lets just hope they aren't calling the shots any more and there aren't any immediate payments need making for which a few million would come in useful.

Proof will be in the pudding - if we're serious about keeping him here at all costs then interested clubs will be given the short shrift and we'll hear no more about it - if we're open for business then we'll have a week of rumour, speculation and bids. Nothing we can do about clubs bidding for our players but the way we respond to those bids is the key - a firm rebuttal and no deal to be done line and the chances are they'll move on to alternatives - if we appear to be entertaining bids then they'll come back as will other clubs.

43 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Dack has been outstanding this season so its not surprising he will attract interest.

There's not much more we can do than  chuck the offers in the bin one by one as they come in. Selling Dack would spell the end of any promotion challenge imo 

I think in football word gets round the grounds with agents etc. If a club wants one of our players but knows we are determined to keep him at all costs then most wouldn't even bother making a bid as they know it would go straight into the bin and wouldn't go any further. When clubs keep coming back for more with increased bids it tends to be because they're confident the other club will back down and do a deal, usually because they get encouragement along the way either from someone involved in the selling club or the player concerned.

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think in football word gets round the grounds with agents etc. If a club wants one of our players but knows we are determined to keep him at all costs then most wouldn't even bother making a bid as they know it would go straight into the bin and wouldn't go any further. When clubs keep coming back for more with increased bids it tends to be because they're confident the other club will back down and do a deal, usually because they get encouragement along the way either from someone involved in the selling club or the player concerned.

We'll see. I don't think we'll sell unless something truly exceptional transpires and by that I mean a Premiership Club coming in with 12m plus.

Certainly not Cardiff piddling about with poxy 4m bids.

From a footballing point of view he shouldnt be sold at any price this window. What's the cost of being stuck in League one indefinitely?

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

We'll see. I don't think we'll sell unless something truly exceptional transpires and by that I mean a Premiership Club coming in with 12m plus.

Certainly not Cardiff piddling about with poxy 4m bids.

From a footballing point of view he shouldnt be sold at any price this window. What's the cost of being stuck in League one indefinitely?

I know all the footballing arguments, and I don't think for one minute Mowbray would agree to it happening. The question is whether Mowbray is in complete control here or whether there are other elements behind the scenes who have the power to sway decision making. Those people might be quite happy with a 6 fold profit in the space of 6 months.

Fortunately, up until now, Mowbray appears to have been backed and they haven't led him a merry dance like they did with Bowyer.

Time will tell but if we keep getting daily rumours of new clubs and bids I'll become increasingly concerned as a robust not for sale line needs issuing and I will grow worried if it appears the club is open to negotiation and offers, which will lead more and more to the table.

2 minutes ago, AggyBlue said:

The lad knows he can play in the Championship next season, either with us or through a summer move.

Why not stay here and possibly enjoy the excitement of winning promotion or even winning the league. 

Agree, but it might not come down to his decision. If Venkys or their cohorts make a decision to sell then it won't matter what Dack wants or what Mowbray wants.

Archived