SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JHRover said:

I know all the footballing arguments, and I don't think for one minute Mowbray would agree to it happening. The question is whether Mowbray is in complete control here or whether there are other elements behind the scenes who have the power to sway decision making. Those people might be quite happy with a 6 fold profit in the space of 6 months.

Fortunately, up until now, Mowbray appears to have been backed and they haven't led him a merry dance like they did with Bowyer.

Time will tell but if we keep getting daily rumours of new clubs and bids I'll become increasingly concerned as a robust not for sale line needs issuing and I will grow worried if it appears the club is open to negotiation and offers, which will lead more and more to the table.

You say Mowbray might not want to sell and that should be his firm message to the owners, but managers usually have such unshakeable belief in their own ability they (wrongly)  think they can sell a star player and weave some sort of magic in the transfer market  bringing in two or three cheaper players and improving the side overall.

I hope TM isn't of that misguided mindset. If Dack were to go I think we'd see just how good our so called better players like Graham Bennett Evans and Conway are and the answer is not very.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

How much did Everton pay for Lookman from Charlton? I think it was like 11 million. If we get offered something like that, things will really get interesting, Its a lot of money and we have Armstrong and Payne. I still don't think we should sell mind.

Agree. In my worst moments I fear Payne was the insurance policy!

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ill bet you they dont sell. Its the first time we've had a sniff of success since they've been here.

Agreed. His value is only likely to go up in the Summer or if he succeeds with us in the Championship.

We can't speak for the player's views but most at his still young age would like a promotion on their CV. He is currently building up his reputation quite nicely and in the not too distant future will have to offer him improved terms anyway.

Venkys past form is the worry. Let us hope that they have fully bought into TMs plans for upward mobility.

1 minute ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Agree. In my worst moments I fear Payne was the insurance policy!

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It did cross my mind when we signed Payne that we could be looking at a Dack replacement.

I don't think he was signed as a replacement, he just happens to be there IF a big enough bid comes in 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I think Dack and Payne are different types of players. Dacks goals are irreplaceable. He's a classic poacher. Payne is more a creator from what I've seen.

Stats would back that up too. Payne has something like 10 assists this season doesn't he?

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I know all the footballing arguments, and I don't think for one minute Mowbray would agree to it happening. The question is whether Mowbray is in complete control here or whether there are other elements behind the scenes who have the power to sway decision making. Those people might be quite happy with a 6 fold profit in the space of 6 months.

Fortunately, up until now, Mowbray appears to have been backed and they haven't led him a merry dance like they did with Bowyer.

Time will tell but if we keep getting daily rumours of new clubs and bids I'll become increasingly concerned as a robust not for sale line needs issuing and I will grow worried if it appears the club is open to negotiation and offers, which will lead more and more to the table.

I very much doubt whether TM has the final say the cohorts and carpet baggers will be whispering away and all they'll see is their quick easy percentage again not to the advantage of BRFC 

Imho lose Dack Mulgrew and promotion isn't on the cards 

41 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lads,do everyone a favour and move your crap to private messages. This is the transfer thread. 

Just hidden the last two pages - some collateral, sorry to those who've lost their posts because of it. Keep on topic please!

Just now, Athlete said:

I very much doubt whether TM has the final say the cohorts and carpet baggers will be whispering away and all they'll see is their quick easy percentage again not to the advantage of BRFC 

Imho lose Dack Mulgrew and promotion isn't on the cards 

Exactly.

If he went it would be the pin in the balloon for sure he's the best player of his type in the division which means he can't be replaced like for like. Even though we've made a couple of good signings it's all about the vibe at the min, him going and Lowe coming back would send out a very negative message again.

I'm hoping that the following is true.

The two sets of accountants came in and told Venkys the only way to improve the finances is to invest some money and get the team up, so TM has been backed in the summer and has been so far in this window.  They have put their trust in TM to spend that money so will trust his judgment on the best time to sell players too.

Dack reminds me of a lower league Hazard. His ability to receive the ball with his back to goal, and then spin and turn is very reminiscent of Hazard - also Dack's dribbling ability. His final ball can be missing - he seems to either pull off a worldie pass - or mess it up completely.

Every player has a price - but IMO at the moment his price should be £10m+ plus add ons. I can't see a Championship club paying that - we could be goosed if a premiership club comes calling.

Also noticed rumours of Premiership clubs sniffing around Mulgrew - depending on money offered would be a difficult one for TM to turn down as it would be his last chance to play in the Premiership (little different for Dack whose value and standing in the game will only increase IMO)

1 minute ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Dack reminds me of a lower league Hazard. His ability to receive the ball with his back to goal, and then spin and turn is very reminiscent of Hazard - also Dack's dribbling ability. His final ball can be missing - he seems to either pull off a worldie pass - or mess it up completely.

Every player has a price - but IMO at the moment his price should be £10m+ plus add ons. I can't see a Championship club paying that - we could be goosed if a premiership club comes calling.

Also noticed rumours of Premiership clubs sniffing around Mulgrew - depending on money offered would be a difficult one for TM to turn down as it would be his last chance to play in the Premiership (little different for Dack whose value and standing in the game will only increase IMO)

Link? 

EDIT, I just found it

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/21/report-18-months-since-being-released-by-celtic-charlie-mulgrew/ 

Surely BS....

What we have yet again is the usual agents trying to drum up interest in their clients aided and abetted by their friends in the press, I doubt any of it is encouraged by the playing or management staff at Rovers but the money men and shadowy middlemen it could be a different matter.

If the owners hold firm I can't see anyone bidding the actual kind of money it would take to get either player and it's all down to that really. Let's hope Madame is busy with other things and Barry hasn't been browsing classic cars on ebay again.

Oh and the English projects don't need any urgent funding ;)

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I hope you are right. Seems to be a concerted effort by the press to put off our charge to promotion - or more likely just a reflection of a team doing well.

In my opinion, Dack and his agent will make the final decision on whether or not he moves.  I think the Rovers will do their best to keep him, but one scenario seems to stand out.  Dack is London born and bred; played as a boy for Charlton, moved on to Gillingham and a move back down south may tempt him.  If Fulham sell Cairney, which is on the cards, for £10m plus, Dack would be a ready-made replacement and they would have the funds to come in with a substantial offer.  This may tempt the player, and Rovers to let him go.  Hope it doesn't happen, but if the player wants to go, little point in keeping him.  Who wants an unhappy player?

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

What we have yet again is the usual agents trying to drum up interest in their clients aided and abetted by their friends in the press, I doubt any of it is encouraged by the playing or management staff at Rovers but the money men and shadowy middlemen it could be a different matter.

If the owners hold firm I can't see anyone bidding the actual kind of money it would take to get either player and it's all down to that really. Let's hope Madame is busy with other things and Barry hasn't been browsing classic cars on ebay again.

Oh and the English projects don't need any urgent funding ;)

There isn't really anything suspicious about Dack being linked with other clubs if he was at any other club in this division and had performed the way he has then the same links would be appearing .

The season before last when he was performing so well for Gillingham  Bristol City had a 2 million bid rejected and supposedly Crystal Palace had an interest aswell. 

Archived