BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Backroom

His contract only had a year left which undoubtedly played a big part in his fee being smaller. For a club like Gillingham there's a huge difference between £750k and £0. Obviously for us it's just a drop in the black ocean of debt accumulated. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Doaksie said:

I'll start worrying when I see the bandage on his left right knee

We've already had a newbie signing up and trotting out the 'unhappy player line' you know the patterns previously set here :o

Tomphil, I never said Dack was unhappy, please do not mis-quote me.  In fact, just the opposite, I think Dack is very happy.  It was just a scenario put forward that may make him, or his Agent, consider a move.  Sorry I'm a new member, but I think at the moment Rovers have the happiest squad they've had for several years, so not trotting out anything about unhappy players

46 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We've already had a newbie signing up and trotting out the 'unhappy player line' you know the patterns previously set here :o

1 minute ago, JimEdd said:

Tomphil, I never said Dack was unhappy, please do not mis-quote me.  In fact, just the opposite, I think Dack is very happy.  It was just a scenario put forward that may make him, or his Agent, consider a move.  Sorry I'm a new member, but I think at the moment Rovers have the happiest squad they've had for several years, so not trotting out anything about unhappy players

When you've been around long enough you'll realise there's a lot of tongue in cheek around here ;)

Don't take offence.

23 minutes ago, tomphil said:

When you've been around long enough you'll realise there's a lot of tongue in cheek around here ;)

Don't take offence.

Cheers.  No fence taken, I'll leave that for the horses :D

Surely it wouldn't make sense for either Dack or Rovers for him to go anywhere, the furthest he is going to go in this window is the Championship, If our form continues then he will be there next season regardless, God forbid we don't win promotion and he wants to move on then at least he can use this second half of the season to boost his stock and maybe get a bigger move elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Thanks for link. 

So they werent a bid from Cardiff for him. Just seems more media bulls**t again. 

Like Dack recently he very happy here and want to stay 

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for link. 

So they werent a bid from Cardiff for him. Just seems more media bulls**t again. 

Like Dack recently he very happy here and want to stay 

You say more media bulls**t as if you wouldn't instantly have put the link yourself if it was the other way around :lol:

15 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Once/if promotion is secured I'd say we will find out soon enough what their intentions are regarding Dack.If he is staying put I'd expect him to be given a new deal with improved terms which he will have earned

Going off recent contract dealings,I imagine he will be offered a new deal. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Going off recent contract dealings,I imagine he will be offered a new deal. 

Yeah. But am I right in thinking that we improved Phil Jones' contract, but the get out clause forced us to sell"cheap"?

Had we not given him a new one, would the old one still have been in place, allowing us to hold out for more money? I am not sure that it was about to expire, as he had only recently broken into the team. Can anyone else shed light on this? It has always rankled with me...

2 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Yeah. But am I right in thinking that we improved Phil Jones' contract, but the get out clause forced us to sell"cheap"?

Had we not given him a new one, would the old one still have been in place, allowing us to hold out for more money? I am not sure that it was about to expire, as he had only recently broken into the team. Can anyone else shed light on this? It has always rankled with me...

I'm not 100% but I think Jones deal with the sell out clause was done before the Venkys arrived.As I remember it was said the venkys where confused as to why they couldn't get more money in the transfer fee for him

15 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I'm not 100% but I think Jones deal with the sell out clause was done before the Venkys arrived.As I remember it was said the venkys where confused as to why they couldn't get more money in the transfer fee for him

Just found a Mail online article June 2011, written at the time of his transfer to United. It refers to the get out clause being inserted the previous February,- a few months after the Venky/Agent takeover, ...

"However, they (Rovers) were forced to accept that the clause — inserted into Jones’s contract in February — had been ratified by their own executives and could not be challenged"

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

17m for Jones cheap? I think we had United's pants down at that price with the benefit of hindsight.

Allegedly, according to Anderson, Jones' original contract permitted him to walk out very cheap and he renegotiated his deal that window Anderson was here with the buy out clause allowing us to get (imo) a very respectable 17m for him.

If true it's one thing he did which was of benefit to us.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

17m for Jones cheap? I think we had United's pants down at that price with the benefit of hindsight.

Allegedly, according to Anderson, Jones' original contract permitted him to walk out very cheap and he renegotiated his deal that window Anderson was here with the buy out clause allowing us to get (imo) a very respectable 17m for him.

At the time, 100%.cheap!. We can't be held responsible for what happened at the buying club.

"According to Anderson" Hahaha

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

At the time, 100%.cheap!. We can't be held responsible for what happened at the buying club.

"According to Anderson" Hahaha

Whether 17m for him was cheap is a matter of opinion. What is quite clear that if his pre Venkys deal hadn't been renegotiated we'd have lost him for relative peanuts based on the value of his original contract. Not quite a Mahoney scenario but not far off.

If

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What did we spend the 17 m on, I can't recall.

When planning to sell it's useful to know at what price as it's easy to plan ahead - how much for the Agent, stuff like that.

21 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Just found a Mail online article June 2011, written at the time of his transfer to United. It refers to the get out clause being inserted the previous February,- a few months after the Venky/Agent takeover, ...

"However, they (Rovers) were forced to accept that the clause — inserted into Jones’s contract in February — had been ratified by their own executives and could not be challenged"

My memory not so good then ha.Still I suppose the clause was put in on the insistence of Jones and his agent

Archived