BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Serious?

Played here since being a child. Academy graduate. Wants to come back. When nobody could be arsed putting in a shift around him, he admittedly ran around like a headless chicken - but in fairness, if those around you aren't putting anywhere near a shift in, it affects your own game.  He might not have proven to be a great player for Rovers but he certainly gave a shit.

If he re-signs, he'll be a squad player who can cover a couple of positions whenever needed and will be better cover than Caddis.

All on a reported £18k a week. As I said the reports are that turned down reduced terms when he was offered them. If he loved the club he would have taken them having earned over £4m in his time here. He was given a five year deal by Kean so unless somebody bought him (I don't think there were any bids) he was going to be loyal and keep the money rolling in. I just thought his only asset was his fitness and he used that very well indeed. If you see running around as caring that's up to you.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Yet if he was to re sign for us it would be because our manager thinks he is worth signing I'm happy for Mowbray to make the signings he sees fit or should everyone he brings in be debated through message boards before we decide yay or nay.

I reiterate i don't want him back i think we could do better but im willing to give the manager the benefit of the doubt if he wants him.

Agreed. Management by messageboard.....if that were the case Mowbray would probably have been given the sack back in August. Thankfully, in the real world, it's not quite so black and white. Away from the internecine world of the interweb, there'll be many fans at Ewood who would welcome back Jason Lowe. 

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

All on a reported £18k a week. As I said the reports are that turned down reduced terms when he was offered them. If he loved the club he would have taken them having earned over £4m in his time here. He was given a five year deal by Kean so unless somebody bought him (I don't think there were any bids) he was going to be loyal and keep the money rolling in. I just thought his only asset was his fitness and he used that very well indeed. If you see running around as caring that's up to you.

Was he one of those given deals at the hands of the aptly named Simon Conning?

4 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I don't know who represented him mate but whoever it was he did a bloody good job.

1 hour ago, NinjaTattoo said:

No way should players who have left make a return, I cant think of many players who have left and rejoined and been a  success, Henry, Drogba, Rush , Hughes, Rooney didnt really pick up where they left off. The difference is you'd have any of those players at 50% ability and still walk into almost any team. Players like Lowe are lucky to get in any team full stop and when they have been found out, the only place left for them is to return to the club they started if that club is gullible enough to take them back.

Sorry I dont care who it is once you leave there is no going back, unless your of the 50% ability of your former elite self.

id not even have Tugay back at this level ...it never works out.

Hendry and Berg are notable exceptions to the rule.

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'm perplexed at the few that continue to maintain Jason Lowe isn't as bad as some people say. This opinion surely needs some sort of explanation other than "he ran around a lot". The simple fact of the matter is that one of his biggest attributes according to some, his closing down, has been shown to be absolute pony by Smallwood

Jason Lowe made somewhere in the region of 170 appearances for the club. He also has England under 20 and under 21 caps to his name.

The decision to play him week in and week out wasn't taken by me or you dreams, it was taken by his managers, the men paid to pick the side.

Why do you think that was? 

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Jason Lowe made somewhere in the region of 170 appearances for the club. He also has England under 20 and under 21 caps to his name.

The decision to play him week in and week out wasn't taken by me or you dreams, it was taken by his managers, the men paid to pick the side.

Why do you think that was? 

Well he wasn't in ahead of Salgado on skill.....just saying!

9 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

He was first choice England under 21 captain so I don't think there is anything untoward about the length of his contract and he only got the going rate. He certainly didn't kick on like he should have but bear in mind, we went years without a proper manager or worthy captain between Big Sam and Paul Lambert so that isn't going to help a young player develop.  It's only lately that we resemble a balanced side and club - thanks to Mowbray building from the bottom upwards.

31 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’m just stating - as a football fan and one that wants Rovers promotion campaign (and future) not to be derailed - that he shouldn’t bring in Jason Lowe.

So apart from “IMWT” why do you feel that he would be a good addition? Or even, why do you think Mowbray would?

Bringing in Lowe would not derail any promotion bid if he's so detrimental to the team on such a way why would Mowbray keep picking him.

Selling Mulgrew or Dack or select others might derail a promotion bid signing Lowe would not unless we are being over dramatic lets be honest.

Just now, Beanie01289 said:

Bringing in Lowe would not derail any promotion bid if he's so detrimental to the team on such a way why would Mowbray keep picking him.

Selling Mulgrew or Dack or select others might derail a promotion bid signing Lowe would not unless we are being over dramatic lets be honest.

Exactly. 

From here on in, It's the outgoings which would be the issue - not the adding of squad fillers. 

14 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

True, previous managers never insisted on playing him to the detriment of the team. Oh wait...

Anyway, can we stop talking about Jason Lowe Point As A Rover? There isn't even a solid rumour on him unless I missed it amongst all the debating. God help this board if it actually happened.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Agreed. Management by messageboard.....if that were the case Mowbray would probably have been given the sack back in August. Thankfully, in the real world, it's not quite so black and white. Away from the internecine world of the interweb, there'll be many fans at Ewood who would welcome back Jason Lowe. 

His bank manager for one !

22 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Well he wasn't in ahead of Salgado on skill.....just saying!

Absolutely.

Venkys wanted to save a few quid by dropping the likes of Salgado, £150m later it certainly paid off.

Idiots.

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Alf Ramsey's 'Wingless Wonders' had moved on in the 60's. Trends change. Someone will come along and produce a team with two wingers again (Is Sane not a winger? Zaha?), beat all before them and then everyone will be doing it. Anyway, Samuel hugs the touchline when he plays out there, as does Conway. They might not be referred to as wingers anymore but they play in the same position on the field.

Wouldn’t class sane or zaha as out and out wingers to be honest, more inside forwards where I can see dack and Payne playing. My original point was that folk keep harping on about how we need wingers in this window, my point being there is different ways to play and if it’s not the formation we are going to use then no we don’t need wingers. Just need to trust tm knows what he wants and what he is doing to get us up. 

Bennett, Whittingham, Lennihan, Mulgrew, Tomlinson, Travis, Evans

all better than Lowe to fill the 1 central midfield slot next to Smallwood. So unless Mowbray thinks we’re short of a 9th choice central midfielder then I say No To Lowe.

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Wouldn’t class sane or zaha as out and out wingers to be honest, more inside forwards where I can see dack and Payne playing

I'd class them both as wingers. Dack and Payne have both played the No.10 role all season.

my point being there is different ways to play and if it’s not the formation we are going to use then no we don’t need wingers

True

Just need to trust tm knows what he wants and what he is doing to get us up. 

There's nothing else we can....but the point of a forum is to offer an opinion, whether that opinion is palatable to you or not.  

34 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Not sure. Why did Bowyer and Coyle keep picking him despite the team failing?

My guess is that he was given a ridiculous contract by whomever was handing them out when Kean was here.

Lowe is desperate for a club. He was virtually Bowyer’s son-in-law on a match day, yet not even a vague link with Blackpool. Not even for old times sake to help give the illusion of competition.

Losing Dack and bringing in Lowe in the next 8 days and our window takes a dramatically different turn:

A permanent signing for a loanee

2 new loanees 

A back up full back

A back up holding midfielder with the power to divide the fans

(and a negative net spend)

What I do find laughable is that nobody, not a single person on a mb or in ‘real life’ was saying. Do you know what this team needs right now, to see us over the line? Jason Lowe.

Yet from the moment he is linked people are leaping to his defence. “Well If Mowbray rates him...” is one of the least WUM versions but it has absolutely no basis.

I notice that you still haven’t ventured a view on what you believe Lowe would bring to the team, why Tomlinson et al should be prevented from a place on the bench.

And let’s not forget, Mowbray thought Sam Hart and Ben Gladwin were good enough for this league...

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I'd class them both as wingers. Dack and Payne have both played the No.10 role all season.

True

There's nothing else we can....but the point of a forum is to offer an opinion, whether that opinion is palatable to you or not.  

Sane plays just behind, ie the number 10 role. Zaha is perhaps more of a winger but he still drifts into the centre a lot. 

Not bothered about people have an opinion, I’m pointing out that to suggest we are doomed because we haven’t gone for wingers is misguided. I’m allowed to, it’s a messageboard after all, in your words 

17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

My guess is that he was given a ridiculous contract by whomever was handing them out when Kean was here.

Lowe is desperate for a club. He was virtually Bowyer’s son-in-law on a match day, yet not even a vague link with Blackpool. Not even for old times sake to help give the illusion of competition.

Losing Dack and bringing in Lowe in the next 8 days and our window takes a dramatically different turn:

2 new loanees 

A back up full back

What I do find laughable is that nobody, not a single person on a mb or in ‘real life’ was saying. Do you know what this team needs right now, to see us over the line? Jason Lowe.

Yet from the moment he is linked people are leaping to his defence. “Well If Mowbray rates him...” is one of the least WUM versions but it has absolutely no basis.

I notice that you still haven’t ventured a view on what you believe Lowe would bring to the team, why Tomlinson et al should be prevented from a place on the bench.

And let’s not forget, Mowbray thought Sam Hart and Ben Gladwin were good enough for this league...

I'm not leaping to HIS defence i'm just going against the people who are saying if we sign him it ruins our transfer window.

I have stated in earlier posts i don't want him to sign but will not fly into a hissy fit at his name being linked.

I'm not employed to decide what if anything Lowe brings to the team however the if the man who IS employed to make that call thinks he brings something i back his judgement considering he worked with him last year.

31 minutes ago, Stuart said:

2 new loanees 

A back up full back

Yup. And Smallwood and Dack. He was certainly in the minority on Downing. Some you win some you lose. We are making far better decisions these days. 

Archived