BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

3 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

I'm not leaping to HIS defence i'm just going against the people who are saying if we sign him it ruins our transfer window.

I have stated in earlier posts i don't want him to sign but will not fly into a hissy fit at his name being linked.

I'm not employed to decide what if anything Lowe brings to the team however the if the man who IS employed to make that call thinks he brings something i back his judgement considering he worked with him last year.

So you would be happy to have Lowe in the side because Mowbray says so but you don’t really want him back.

Careful you don’t get any splinters.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gav said:

Jason Lowe made somewhere in the region of 170 appearances for the club. He also has England under 20 and under 21 caps to his name.

The decision to play him week in and week out wasn't taken by me or you dreams, it was taken by his managers, the men paid to pick the side.

Why do you think that was? 

Money..... for all concerned.

7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

So you would be happy to have Lowe in the side because Mowbray says so but you don’t really want him back.

Careful you don’t get any splinters.

Happens all the time managers sign players i don't particularly rate but as its not my job to manage a football team i try to trust they know more than me.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Jason Lowe made somewhere in the region of 170 appearances for the club. He also has England under 20 and under 21 caps to his name.

The decision to play him week in and week out wasn't taken by me or you dreams, it was taken by his managers, the men paid to pick the side.

Let's not start calling Lowe's rather uninspiring England youth days as a reason to hold him in a good light. He was in a team that achieved nothing, unlike the two young lads we have now in Armstrong & Chapman. I'd say him being involved in a squad that gets knocked out at group stages is about right for Jason Lowe.

Now I am not going to start blaming Jason Lowe for everything. However, by looking at what has happened during his 170 appearances (consistent downgrading of league position with 2 relegations) compared to the season where he's not been a key figure (likely promotion) then I'm sure we can start to piece together a firm view of what Lowe's constant admission in the squad meant for us. 

He was certainly helped by us being under an embargo for a year and the subsequent years that included offloading any real talent to pay for the mistakes of the Loons. Would Jason Lowe have been a 150+ plus game player for us, even in the Championship, had we the money to replace him? I don't think so. We saw far better central midfielders come and go in his time and he stayed because there was a sum total of 0 interest. He was and always will be a poor player, even if he is one of our own.

I think the fact he came from our academy also helped him get picked. We made a real investment in Lowe during his time at Rovers and I'm more than certain some wanted a chunk of that back. It never materialised because his talent never materialised. 

I don't begrudge the bloke for him playing football. We paid him to do a job and I'm more than sure he did it to the best of his ability. However his ability simply wasn't, isn't, up to it. For me he isn't welcome back here purely based on his lack of talent. 

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Lovely.

Until you consider there were probably many several a couple of Big Club fans saying exactly the same thing in August.

Which is as dumb and ignorant to reality as someone consoling themself with “well, he got Bumley promoted to the PL so he must have something about him”.

Just reading this thread shows why he should never be brought back whichever side of the fence your on he's a divisive figure and even most of those slightly defending him admit to him being pish poor and not really wanting him back.

We've been making signing that are galvanizing the fans and the club with the fans again but this is the type of guy that gets people squaring off with each other in the stands ....... again.

We really don't need anymore of that so I pray a championship club offers him a lifeline, the guy could have been at Bolton if he'd accepted their reduced terms so hopefully they try again and he gets real instead of eyeing another cushy number here.

4 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Wish folk would stop going on about needing wingers, has it ever occurred that maybe we aren’t going to be playing wingers, as mentioned earlier I can see us going similar to

Raya

nyambe.    Mulgrew.   Downing.    Bell

Lenihan 

Smallwood.   Bennet 

payne.             Dack

Graham 

With bell and nyambe very similar pushing forward to give width and dack and Payne drifting in and out of wings as needed. All this talk of needing wingers is guff, when was the last time we had exciting dribbling wingers?! Chapman for about 1 start and some cameo sub appearances. Out and out wingers are not the modern way, football has moved on from the 60s

Yet ,till he was injured, Chapman was our most dangerous player.

I'm old-fashioned, I love to watch 2 wingers. That pull-back from the bye-line is still the best move in football.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Agreed. Management by messageboard.....if that were the case Mowbray would probably have been given the sack back in August. Thankfully, in the real world, it's not quite so black and white. Away from the internecine world of the interweb, there'll be many fans at Ewood who would welcome back Jason Lowe. 

Name them!

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

Yet ,till he was injured, Chapman was our most dangerous player.

I'm old-fashioned, I love to watch 2 wingers. That pull-back from the bye-line is still the best move in football.

Getting into the grabbi and rochina level of unjustified praise I feel, need to remember the boy wasn’t starting and was coming in to run at tired legs, different kettle of fish doing that for 90 mins. Not saying he doesn’t have potential but let’s be realistic guys. Would I rather play dack or Chapman, it’s a no brainer

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Sane plays just behind, ie the number 10 role. Zaha is perhaps more of a winger but he still drifts into the centre a lot. 

Not bothered about people have an opinion, I’m pointing out that to suggest we are doomed because we haven’t gone for wingers is misguided. I’m allowed to, it’s a messageboard after all, in your words 

Sane plays just behind? Mate, he’s literally done that once or twice at most in his career to date. He’s as close to a winger as it’s possible to get.

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

If it was your own money you wouldn’t.

If I had that sort of money I would. As you don't know me I cannot see how you can make an assumption about what I would or would not do. I have stated previously exactly what I would do, and that is Take the risk.

37 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Let's not start calling Lowe's rather uninspiring England youth days as a reason to hold him in a good light. He was in a team that achieved nothing, unlike the two young lads we have now in Armstrong & Chapman. I'd say him being involved in a squad that gets knocked out at group stages is about right for Jason Lowe.

Now I am not going to start blaming Jason Lowe for everything. However, by looking at what has happened during his 170 appearances (consistent downgrading of league position with 2 relegations) compared to the season where he's not been a key figure (likely promotion) then I'm sure we can start to piece together a firm view of what Lowe's constant admission in the squad meant for us. 

He was certainly helped by us being under an embargo for a year and the subsequent years that included offloading any real talent to pay for the mistakes of the Loons. Would Jason Lowe have been a 150+ plus game player for us, even in the Championship, had we the money to replace him? I don't think so. We saw far better central midfielders come and go in his time and he stayed because there was a sum total of 0 interest. He was and always will be a poor player, even if he is one of our own.

I think the fact he came from our academy also helped him get picked. We made a real investment in Lowe during his time at Rovers and I'm more than certain some wanted a chunk of that back. It never materialised because his talent never materialised. 

I don't begrudge the bloke for him playing football. We paid him to do a job and I'm more than sure he did it to the best of his ability. However his ability simply wasn't, isn't, up to it. For me he isn't welcome back here purely based on his lack of talent. 

Ok we'll ignore him captaining the under 21's and ever playing for England at all.

I do take all your opinion onboard, but you've not answered the question, coming through the academy in my opinion played no part in his 170 appearances. 

So why do you think he's been picked by ever manager he's played under, which has resulted in him making over 170 appearances?

31 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Lovely.

Until you consider there were probably many several a couple of Big Club fans saying exactly the same thing in August.

Which is as dumb and ignorant to reality as someone consoling themself with “well, he got Bumley promoted to the PL so he must have something about him”.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and I've read it 4 times!

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Ok we'll ignore him captaining the under 21's and ever playing for England at all.

I do take all your opinion onboard, but you've not answered the question, coming through the academy in my opinion played no part in his 170 appearances. 

So why do you think he's been picked by ever manager he's played under, which has resulted in him making over 170 appearances?

Because they were clueless, as evidenced by our demise under any manager who ever picked Lowe from PL to L1.

Then we get rid of Lowe and suddenly we're looking up!

It's by no means all Lowe's fault but he is symbolic of our downfall and that ALONE is reason to leave him well alone.

Even his England appearances were under those managerial heavyweights Peter Taylor, Stuart Pearce and Gareth Southgate.

Just now, Mike E said:

Because they were clueless, as evidenced by our demise under any manager who ever picked Lowe from PL to L1.

Then we get rid of Lowe and suddenly we're looking up!

It's by no means all Lowe's fault but he is symbolic of our downfall and that ALONE is reason to leave him well alone.

Even his England appearances were under those managerial heavyweights Peter Taylor, Stuart Pearce and Gareth Southgate.

So Mowbray is clueless also?

Premiership manager Paul Lambert?

Just now, Gav said:

So you don’t think he might have had a contractual clause in there, Gav?

You really think that he was just a good footballer?

Just now, Gav said:

53 minutes ago, Stuart said:

He had no contractual clause, why would he have? He was crap don't forget? A small fish in a much bigger pond?

If it's doesn't make sense it's usually not true.

Just now, Gav said:

He had no contractual close, why would he have? He was crap don't forget? A small fish in a much bigger pond?

If it's doesn't make sense it's usually not true.

Regardless of every manager since 2012 putting him in there starting line up EVERY WEEK :( (He must have played like Ronaldinho at Brockhall during the week) You like the rest of us, have watched the guy week in week out since 2012 and have surely seen that Lowe is nowhere near good enough too play football at Championship and for me, league one level. He does absolutely nothing on the pitch, some fans say he has an engine on him and I'd probably agree but I can't remember seeing him make a tackle many times. I only remember him running alongside the opposition's players without stopping the attack or breaking the play up, just aimless running. Never saw him pass the ball forward and he scored one albeit wonder goal in his time here. I don't doubt he's a nice lad, but as a footballer he's absolutely useless. When all's said and done I hope he goes somewhere and proves me wrong but I pray to god he never plays for Rovers again. Good luck too him but no thanks. 

Did Lowe play much under Lambert ?

As for Mowbray playing him last season I don't think he'd much option but i'd stake everything on us making a better fist of staying up if we had a Smallwood in there instead of captain anonymous.

Archived