BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

He had no contractual close, why would he have? He was crap don't forget? A small fish in a much bigger pond?

If it's doesn't make sense it's usually not true.

Why would he? You do remember that Steve Kean bloke? Anderson et al? But let’s assume you are right. Nothing odd went into any contracts signed during that period.

Optaman got picked by rank bad managers. Some of whom you yourself despised. But you point to a couple of them who didn’t make wholesale changes as evidence he was highly rated. One of whom was barely here five minutes and the other didn’t renew his contract. If he is so highly rated, why are we the only club even being linked.

He played, nay was a mainstay, central to the team and eventually captain, during our worst few seasons in recent memory. He was and is a rank bad footballer. But you talk about his appearances stat as a badge of honour. He’s only played for one club, and we were terrible.

I really hope this is just some bad joke invented by a Rovers fan to wind people up.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, frosty said:

He made only 10 appearances in 15/16, he had a fairly long-term injury I think but the answer is nope - he didn't play much under Lambert.

Yeah I remember the injury probs I just couldn't recall if he'd come back when Lambert was in situ although I do remember a similar debate on here wondering if Lambo would auto install him like other guys had once he was right.

22 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Why would he? You do remember that Steve Kean bloke? Anderson et al? But let’s assume you are right. Nothing odd went into any contracts signed during that period.

Optaman got picked by rank bad managers. Some of whom you yourself despised. But you point to a couple of them who didn’t make wholesale changes as evidence he was highly rated. One of whom was barely here five minutes and the other didn’t renew his contract. If he is so highly rated, why are we the only club even being linked.

He played, nay was a mainstay, central to the team and eventually captain, during our worst few seasons in recent memory. He was and is a rank bad footballer. But you talk about his appearances stat as a badge of honour. He’s only played for one club, and we were terrible.

I really hope this is just some bad joke invented by a Rovers fan to wind people up.

You can't argue with his appearance record Stuart, no matter which way you slice it, not ever manager can be wrong can they? 

He obviously had something that the welders, greengrocers and box packers on here just dont see.

Add - Scott Dann, Ashley Ward, Keith Andrews, Jason Wilcox ........to the list also.

49 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Getting into the grabbi and rochina level of unjustified praise I feel, need to remember the boy wasn’t starting and was coming in to run at tired legs, different kettle of fish doing that for 90 mins

He did for 90 minutes in our (at that time) most convincing home win of the season against Pompey. It isn't his fault Mowbray wouldn't pick him.  To say he can only do it against tired legs is laughable at his age.

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Sane plays just behind, ie the number 10 role. Zaha is perhaps more of a winger but he still drifts into the centre a lot. 

Not bothered about people have an opinion, I’m pointing out that to suggest we are doomed because we haven’t gone for wingers is misguided. I’m allowed to, it’s a messageboard after all, in your words 

Sane is a winger. He doesn't play 'just behind' at all. Do you know which one he is?

Your point was that people shouldn't bang on wingers. My point was they can bang on about who they want. Chapman is a winger. Mowbray brought Chapman to the club, ergo he likes wingers. He also plays Conway who is another winger. Or is Conway a No10 too? No he isn't.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Chaddy you cant just use the argument of trusting mowbrays judgement to justify everything. People can justifiably say that Samuel and Armstrong are strikers (not wingers), Conways legs have gone, Bennett is ineffective wide yet an asset centrally and Payne is a central player too.

Personally dont know too much about Rothwell but an attacking midfielder is not what we need, we need at least one out and out winger, not to stockpile in other areas. 

Well Mowbray has done a good job sorting out the playing staff and getting rid of deadwood. 

We dont play natural wingers anyway. Mowbray use forwards wide. 

Rothwell is a centre midfielder. From a youtube video Ive seen he looks like playmaker type

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well Mowbray has done a good job sorting out the playing staff and getting rid of deadwood. 

We dont play natural wingers anyway. Mowbray use forwards wide. 

Rothwell is a centre midfielder. From a youtube video Ive seen he looks like playmaker type

Who is Rothwell? Someone we are linked with?

I did my best to read the last 4 or 5 pages or so, but all I can see is people arguing about Lowe (some good arguments but I'd rather they went into a more appropriate thread) so I haven't seen anything about any Rothwell or anyone else we may have been linked with who isn't called Jason.

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I did my best to read the last 4 or 5 pages or so, but all I can see is people arguing about Lowe (some good arguments but I'd rather they went into a more appropriate thread) so I haven't seen anything about any Rothwell or anyone else we may have been linked with who isn't called Jason.

p. 101

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I posted a link to the transfer story before..

Page 101 or look.at my posting history. Link there

44 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Sane is a winger. He doesn't play 'just behind' at all. Do you know which one he is?

Your point was that people shouldn't bang on wingers. My point was they can bang on about who they want. Chapman is a winger. Mowbray brought Chapman to the club, ergo he likes wingers. He also plays Conway who is another winger. Or is Conway a No10 too? No he isn't.

Sane does drift out to the wing but Man City deploy a 4-3-3 as I have mooted can see us following. If he likes wingers so much how come we haven’t went for one and instead went for attacking mids. No point suggesting square pegs for round holes, no wingers, get over it. I don’t even think our forwards would thrive off crosses into the box, iv certainly seem minimal evidence that they are asking for that kind of service. You say Conway but 90% of fans reckon he is past it, so I can’t see him being a regular starter. I like Chapman but he has a lot to learn and a big injury to overcome. To suggest he has been anything but a fleeting glimpse of what he can possibly be is laughable, in fact our current run coincided with his injury which suggests we are harder to beat without wingers. 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Sane does drift out to the wing but Man City deploy a 4-3-3

Yeah, 4-3-3 with wingers like Sane. Teams play 4-3-3 with wingers. The Dutch have been doing it for decades.

No point suggesting square pegs for round holes, no wingers, get over it.

I'm fine with it. It's you who is getting upset.

I don’t even think our forwards would thrive off crosses into the box, iv certainly seem minimal evidence that they are asking for that kind of service

haha, yeah Danny Graham hates crosses:lol:

You say Conway but 90% of fans reckon he is past it, so I can’t see him being a regular starter. I like Chapman but he has a lot to learn and a big injury to overcome.

Mowbray rates him. You really must start to trust Mowbray's judgement. Conway is a winger. Get over it.

Your a troll lad, 

they are inside forwards as is the modern way.

how many goals has Danny graham got with his head for us?

mowbray rarely starts Conway and wouldn’t get his contract renewed.

im not the one crying because we aren’t signing wingers, I don’t think we need them to get promoted. 

End of discussion, give yourself a rest

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Gav said:

So Mowbray is clueless also?

Premiership manager Paul Lambert?

If Lambert keeps Stoke up then I'll drop him from the clueless list ;)

But I don't consider Mowbray part of that group because he is the one who let Lowe's contract run out with a whimper.

Lowe got picked because he had 'academy' written all over him, high mileage stats, a load of England apps and possibly influential friends. Kean and Bowyer have a lot to answer for.

Personally, think lumping him in with Wilcox, Dann, Andrews, Ward etc is an insult to those guys. They all had talent (to varying degrees; one is a PL winner ffs). Lowe's footballing talent was equal to Forrest Gump's.

A marathon runner masquerading as a footballer, and if he wasn't fooling people then I suspect they favoured him for non-footballing reasons.

Travis, Tomlinson, and Hardcastle have all shown more talent in our shirt in a collective couple of hours of football than Lowe has since 2010.

37 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Your a troll lad, 

The last refuge of a man all out of arguments. Lad.

38 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

mowbray rarely starts Conway and wouldn’t get his contract renewed.

He starts quite often when he's fit.

39 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

End of discussion, give yourself a rest

TFFT!

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

The last refuge of a man all out of arguments. Lad.

He starts quite often when he's fit.

TFFT!

No point having a discussion with the brain dead. Your arguments are laughable, clearly not a football man. 

Bet you were one of the people that thought Rhodes was as good as Shearer. 

I wont be responding to any more of your drivel 

7 hours ago, Gav said:

You can't argue with his appearance record Stuart, no matter which way you slice it, not ever manager can be wrong can they? 

He obviously had something that the welders, greengrocers and box packers on here just dont see.

Add - Scott Dann, Ashley Ward, Keith Andrews, Jason Wilcox ........to the list also.

And yet not a single other club or manager can see it. Odd that.

Football’s biggest kept secret.

We are so lucky that only we know how good he really is. He would have cost us millions. Oh wait, he already has.

Bring him back. Winning games is over-rated anyway.

I'll never be sure what Jason Lowe offered. Energy might be the only thing. He couldn't pass (like Tugay), tackle (like Savage), impose himself (like N'zonzi), shoot (like Reid) or cross (like Bentley). With that considered why would you turn him into a full-back? Bizarre how many appearances he made at a high level.

I suppose you could call him a "Jack of all trades master of none" but that wouldn't be fair to Jack's of all trades.

We didn't want him. The queue for him was non existent until a desperate club offered him a 5 minute contract,, he's played less games then me this season and now the queue for him is even shorter.

Tells you all you need to know about the football communities opinion of Jason "jack of no trades" Lowe.

9 hours ago, Gav said:

Well ultimately every manager has got it wrong because we have constantly reduced in level year on year since his inception into the first team squad. Bowyer, Berg, Appleton, Coyle & Lambert selected him and all had losing records ultimately.

You are just trying to defend your embarrassing comments about how most people can't see Lowe's ability. We couldn't because it doesn't exist and it's precisely why no other manager is picking him up for free. If relegation strife Birmingham City are losing patience with him then it certainly adds substance to the fact that we stuck around with him so long because he was a product of our very expensive academy. It's hardly an outrageous thing to assume that people at the football club had a vested interest in him appearing to prove the value of the academy.

He didn't captain U21 level. I'm pretty sure he was in the same U21 squad as Sordell & Delfounso so it's hardly a squad I'd say inspired. 

5 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Well ultimately every manager has got it wrong because we have constantly reduced in level year on year since his inception into the first team squad. Bowyer, Berg, Appleton, Coyle & Lambert and Mowbray 

You are just trying to defend your embarrassing comments about how most people can't see Lowe's ability. We couldn't because it doesn't exist and it's precisely why no other manager is picking him up for free. If relegation strife Birmingham City are losing patience with him then it certainly adds substance to the fact that we stuck around with him so long because he was a product of our very expensive academy. It's hardly an outrageous thing to assume that people at the football club had a vested interest in him appearing to prove the value of the academy.

He didn't captain U21 level. I'm pretty sure he was in the same U21 squad as Sordell & Delfounso so it's hardly a squad I'd say inspired. 

No argument about him having an inflated value, and I certainly wouldn’t prioritise bringing back - although he does have attributes that many fans have overlooked, and as you can see in the edited post above - attributes even TM felt useful!

Its a pointless discussion though because (as per) neither viewpoint needs the other to exist - I know what I’ve seen from Jason Lowe over the years, and I certainly don’t need others opinions to back up my own.

10 minutes ago, Biz said:

No argument about him having an inflated value, and I certainly wouldn’t prioritise bringing back - although he does have attributes that many fans have overlooked, and as you can see in the edited post above - attributes even TM felt useful!

Its a pointless discussion though because (as per) neither viewpoint needs the other to exist - I know what I’ve seen from Jason Lowe over the years, and I certainly don’t need others opinions to back up my own.

TM obviously didn't feel them useful if he let him go for free and brought in Smallwood, a player that has more talent in the big toe on his left foot than Jason Lowe.

I'm still struggling to see what you & Gav are seeing that pretty much no other poster, including the ones who often disagree, are. Is it contrariness? As Gav has said there are football experts that know far more than us "greengrocers, box packers" but even they are seemingly unanimously agreed that he isn't worth a risk on. Even Hope Akpan got a contract immediately.

So if the greengrocers, box packers and now the footballing world are seemingly in agreement then what are these attributes you talk about? What do you & Gav know, see, or think you see, that the rest of us can't? :huh:

Archived