BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

10 hours ago, tomphil said:

Did Lowe play much under Lambert ?

As for Mowbray playing him last season I don't think he'd much option but i'd stake everything on us making a better fist of staying up if we had a Smallwood in there instead of captain anonymous.

Nearly posted the same thought yesterday. In fact given the margins of our relegation turned out to be so fine and how little impact Lowe had I'd say we would most likely have stayed up with Smallwood in the middle instead.

Mind you that statement probably applies to a couple of last year's team - Raya instead of Steele also springs to mind.

Andrews was similar in being good at nothing but crikey at least he wasn't a first team pick and actually got a few goals.Lowe was captain despite everyone seeing he clearly wasn't up to playing championship football.

Put it this way - name a worse cm we've had who has played over half a dozen games for us.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

TM obviously didn't feel them useful if he let him go for free and brought in Smallwood, a player that has more talent in the big toe on his left foot than Jason Lowe.

I'm still struggling to see what you & Gav are seeing that pretty much no other poster, including the ones who often disagree, are. Is it contrariness? As Gav has said there are football experts that know far more than us "greengrocers, box packers" but even they are seemingly unanimously agreed that he isn't worth a risk on. Even Hope Akpan got a contract immediately.

So if the greengrocers, box packers and now the footballing world are seemingly in agreement then what are these attributes you talk about? What do you & Gav know, see, or think you see, that the rest of us can't? :huh:

As I said, I have no intention going over old ground on this, it’s been done to death.

Just because my opinion doesn’t hinge on concurring with the masses, it’s “contrariness”? 

I must apologise for not being harvested into the collective like you and the rest then. Oh and as for “why did TM let him go then?” you do realise that he was on ridiculous wages don’t you? I’m guessing you did know that - it just doesn’t suit your obsessive need to be agreed with, even by TM.

14 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Nearly posted the same thought yesterday. In fact given the margins of our relegation turned out to be so fine and how little impact Lowe had I'd say we would most likely have stayed up with Smallwood in the middle instead.

Mind you that statement probably applies to a couple of last year's team - Raya instead of Steele also springs to mind.

Andrews was similar in being good at nothing but crikey at least he wasn't a first team pick and actually got a few goals.Lowe was captain despite everyone seeing he clearly wasn't up to playing championship football.

Put it this way - name a worse cm we've had who has played over half a dozen games for us.

If Keef got every forward ball in the space he pointed at he'd have been our very own Lampard ..........

Then again maybe not :lol:

I think if you look at the team posted by someone on another thread from a similar game last year under Coyle and look at a few of the names and moreover the formation it says a lot about last seasons problems. The term set up to fail springs to mind.

It was crying out for some legs and some tackles in the middle of the park not 'stats' men I just hope TM keeps with the Smallwood/Bennett he's stumbled on or signs similar.

13 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Instead of bringing Wes Brown on in the home game vs Reading we could have brought on Matty Platt, or actually anyone who could run. Then we could have put that ball out and they probably wouldn't have scored that last minute winner and we'd have got a point from it.

5 minutes ago, Biz said:

As I said, I have no intention going over old ground on this, it’s been done to death.

Just because my opinion doesn’t hinge on concurring with the masses, it’s “contrariness”? 

I must apologise for not being harvested into the collective like you and the rest then. Oh and as for “why did TM let him go then?” you do realise that he was on ridiculous wages don’t you? I’m guessing you did know that - it just doesn’t suit your obsessive need to be agreed with, even by TM.

Judging by the only two defending him I'd say it's a rather small hop to suggest contrariness.

I'd also hazard a guess that the wages were another reason, on top of a lack of talent, to let Lowe go. He was let go without so much of a whimper from Mowbray, it hardly seemed reluctant although we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. There were clubs that could easily pay his wages that didn't because he is tosh.

You are right though, it's been done to death. The only thing that hasn't been done to death is what you see his abilities as being. 

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15890850.Tony_Mowbray_would_be_happy_with_his_Rovers_squad_even_if_there_were_to_be_no_more_incomings_this_month/?ref=mac

'That relies on players being assessed before their names are circulated to Mowbray in a bid to ensure Rovers’ success rate is as high as possible'

Looks like we haven't been doing the above and haven't had a functioning scouting dept.

Where on earth did Tommy Johnson and his scouts get to?

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Instead of bringing Wes Brown on in the home game vs Reading we could have brought on Matty Platt, or actually anyone who could run. Then we could have put that ball out and they probably wouldn't have scored that last minute winner and we'd have got a point from it.

Or Wharton who probably got farmed out to accommodate Brown.

It is wrong to put relegation at Lowey's door, yes you want more from your captain but he wasn't delivering anything less than he usually did to be fair to him he was playing his normal game. Most of the issue with Lowe ( and Evans ) is the actual types of players they are not the lads themselves, they never really gelled and weren't the types needed but that was up to the management to figure out and alter.

TM did so he really needs to stick to it when it's delivering.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Lowe has got legs. Lovely legs.

36.7% of this thread is based on the tweet of a one bloke, a bloke not known for his transfer scoops.

Not known to be a stirrer though either but your right.

Bayes OUT !!!

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Or Wharton who probably got farmed out to accommodate Brown.

It is wrong to put relegation at Lowey's door, yes you want more from your captain but he wasn't delivering anything less than he usually did to be fair to him he was playing his normal game. Most of the issue with Lowe ( and Evans ) is the actual types of players they are not the lads themselves, they never really gelled and weren't the types needed but that was up to the management to figure out and alter.

TM did so he really needs to stick to it when it's delivering.

As I said yesterday I remain of the view that both Lowe and Henley suffered long term as a result of the chaos around the club. The instability and high managerial turnover did their careers no favours. Both were chucked into the Premier League too often too quickly and then again in the Championship. When they hit rocky patches they should have been sent out on loan to League One clubs or left on the bench but both, particularly Lowe, appeared to be undroppable.

Neither would ever have gone on to be worldbeaters but I think both could have done better than their present situations. Henley clubless for 6 months and has ended up in the US and Lowe getting bombed out of bottom of the table Birmingham seemingly desperate to come back here. Lowey still only 26 and Henley 23. I'm sure things would have turned out better for them had there been a more competent structure at the club throughout. At least their bank balances should be healthy.

I suspect that it can be called Phil Jones syndrome. Academy product getting flogged to United for £17 million I suspect Venkys quite fancied the idea of another one of those cropping up hence their continual selection.

22 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Judging by the only two defending him I'd say it's a rather small hop to suggest contrariness.

I'd also hazard a guess that the wages were another reason, on top of a lack of talent, to let Lowe go. He was let go without so much of a whimper from Mowbray, it hardly seemed reluctant although we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. There were clubs that could easily pay his wages that didn't because he is tosh.

You are right though, it's been done to death. The only thing that hasn't been done to death is what you see his abilities as being. 

You just cannot accept that others don’t see things exactly your way, can you? 

I can quite happily accept that many Rovers fans don’t rate a player I think offers something, it certainly isn’t the first time and most likely won’t be the last.  

If his wages touched 20k PW, there is no question, he had to leave last summer, I would guess Richie, Dack and Samuel would be on less than that combined.

No brainer to let him go. I’ve already explained umpteen times what I valued about JL, just like I’ve already stated his value was completely overblown. Rather than put the rest of the forum through it again, for another day in this window, why not just accept that some might not be part of the “hive mind”, and move on!

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well Mowbray has done a good job sorting out the playing staff and getting rid of deadwood. 

We dont play natural wingers anyway. Mowbray use forwards wide. 

Rothwell is a centre midfielder. From a youtube video Ive seen he looks like playmaker type

But I am saying, and its a view echoed by quite a few on here, is that in my opinion we need a pacy winger in our team to stretch defences and provide crosses, and Ive given reasons why I think the players we currently use wide are often ineffective. For example in the last 2 games Conways legs have gone (shouldnt be starting many games now) and Samuel is as ineffective wide as up front. 

If thats your sole argument, surely youll retract your statement that Lowe would be a poor signing and youll "trust Mowbrays judgement" blindly? Nothing wrong with giving opinions.

44 minutes ago, JHRover said:

But who would've scored the goal to make it 2-2 in the first place ;)

Just now, RoverCanada said:

But who would've scored the goal to make it 2-2 in the first place ;)

Plenty of possibilities if you keep the defence tight there's always a way back into it at 1-2 down the fact he scored is rendered completely pointless when he then went and gave one away.

Re: Lowe. IMO he would be a very good addition for the position we are in now League 1. He has premiership and Championship experience. Has been a captain, has a good disciplined work etiquette etc. He is not one to unsettle a dressing room. IMO considering our current position as a club he is a cut above many players in this league. I would welcome Lowe as an addition to our squad any day. I have no idea considering where we are at a club why this would not be welcomed. I feel he could make a positive contribution/enhance the squad.

We are hardly a premiership side!! reality check for some people????

Just now, markhayhurst said:

Re: Lowe. IMO he would be a very good addition for the position we are in now League 1. He has premiership and Championship experience. Has been a captain, has a good disciplined work etiquette etc. He is not one to unsettle a dressing room. IMO considering our current position as a club he is a cut above many players in this league. I would welcome Lowe as an addition to our squad any day. I have no idea considering where we are at a club why this would not be welcomed. I feel he could make a positive contribution/enhance the squad.

I was thinking the only two words I agree with in that are the first two words of the third sentence. But then I thought  " He's not a ' Has been '  he's a ' Never was '.

14 minutes ago, markhayhurst said:

How do you know he won't unsettle a dressing room? If he's had to come here because he couldn't get anywhere else, he's not going to be full of the joys of spring is he? Where we are as a club seems to be generally better than when he left us in that after the relegation many felt our squad could well see us go down again. However, we are now looking at potential promotion without Lowe. So what exactly would he bring that would improve our squad/enable others to play better? He couldn't do it before so why now? I don't hold him in the same low esteem as others here do but surely were not just looking for someone to keep us on this level but someone who offers a bit more to help lift others. I watch Sale sharks a lot now and when they lost Danny Cipriani there was nothing to give that added sparkle.  Recruitment was more of the same and the team were competent and solid but no lift when someone came on from the bench. A couple of good signings this season and it's like watching a whole new team. All the players play better when there's something different in the squad. Lowe offers nothing different and if there's money to spend I'd rather it went either on a really tough tackler who will help current creative players to do their stuff or more creativity to help change games where we're struggling. Lowe is neither

15 hours ago, Gav said:

Jason Lowe made somewhere in the region of 170 appearances for the club. He also has England under 20 and under 21 caps to his name.

The decision to play him week in and week out wasn't taken by me or you dreams, it was taken by his managers, the men paid to pick the side.

Why do you think that was? 

Christ knows.

15 hours ago, bluebruce said:

True, previous managers never insisted on playing him to the detriment of the team. Oh wait...

Anyway, can we stop talking about Jason Lowe Point As A Rover? There isn't even a solid rumour on him unless I missed it amongst all the debating. God help this board if it actually happened.

It's such a dreadful concept that it has to be a talking point. Now I want February to come with no further transfer activity unless we find a winger.

• Backroom
56 minutes ago, markhayhurst said:

We've already had a reality check - his name is Richie Smallwood and he showed that we actually should have been expecting better all along.

Archived