BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

13 hours ago, Gav said:

Ok we'll ignore him captaining the under 21's and ever playing for England at all.

I do take all your opinion onboard, but you've not answered the question, coming through the academy in my opinion played no part in his 170 appearances. 

So why do you think he's been picked by ever manager he's played under, which has resulted in him making over 170 appearances?

Answered that once. Christ knows.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty of players play under age for their countries, but go on to achieve nothing else. Some end up non-league,some even retire in their 20s. There are loads in the league of Ireland who played under age for Ireland. Christ Ireland won and came top 3s in a  couple of under 20 and under 17 world cups and Euros. The Robbie Keanes, Richard Dunnes and Damien Duffs are in the minority from those teams. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

But I am saying, and its a view echoed by quite a few on here, is that in my opinion we need a pacy winger in our team to stretch defences and provide crosses, and Ive given reasons why I think the players we currently use wide are often ineffective. For example in the last 2 games Conways legs have gone (shouldnt be starting many games now) and Samuel is as ineffective wide as up front. 

If thats your sole argument, surely youll retract your statement that Lowe would be a poor signing and youll "trust Mowbrays judgement" blindly? Nothing wrong with giving opinions.

Have we ever bid for Lowe? 

I dont think Samuel has been poor in the last 2 games at all playing wide. Hes done well there. 

Yes we do need pacey winger but if we having to over pay for this type of player. Then rightly dont over pay. 

We have enough and I wouldnt be surprise if we sign Chapman permanent before the deadline

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was thinking the only two words I agree with in that are the first two words of the third sentence. But then I thought  " He's not a ' Has been '  he's a ' Never was '.

Well its true that he has Premiership and Championship experience! Strangely no other club  seems to think it counts for much. Wonder why?

He was there but he didn't do much. Possible reason?

52 minutes ago, DE. said:

We've already had a reality check - his name is Richie Smallwood and he showed that we actually should have been expecting better all along.

This the same player that people complained about us getting (Rotherham cast off and all that).

Smallwood hides a number of deficiencies in his game behind his liking for a tackle. However he is perfect for league 1.

Like I said earlier Bolton had tracked him a while and wanted him, there was allegedly a deal at about 4 or 5k per week because their wages were capped by FFP restrictions, he didn't want to know.

Problem again here would be those slimeballs blowing in the ear to the owners " Hey Jason wants to come home he loves Rovers and is prepared to drop out of the championship to come back here. He's loved by everyone at Ewood after his 100000 games and all he wants is a two year deal with an option of another and 10k per week"

Then after that gets sorted you'll get the owners on the phone wanting to know why they are paying someone ten thousand pounds per week to sit on the bench, we want our moneys worth he must start every game like before. After their agent pals concerned at their lack of appearance % keep blowing in the ears.

That's how its seemed to go here that's why the understandable concern.

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

This the same player that people complained about us getting (Rotherham cast off and all that).

Smallwood hides a number of deficiencies in his game behind his liking for a tackle. However he is perfect for league 1.

Whereas Lowe couldn't even hide his deficiencies with other attributes, hence my skepticism as to whether he'd even be much use in this league. 

10 minutes ago, DE. said:

Whereas Lowe couldn't even hide his deficiencies with other attributes, hence my skepticism as to whether he'd even be much use in this league. 

That's not skepticism DE, that comes from watching a player over the course of 5 years and for me it's pretty conclusive he wouldn't be much use in this league. Even if we were in the conference could you see him running the show? Absolutely not he's shown nothing to suggest so.

2 hours ago, markhayhurst said:

Re: Lowe. IMO he would be a very good addition for the position we are in now League 1. He has premiership and Championship experience. Has been a captain, has a good disciplined work etiquette etc. He is not one to unsettle a dressing room. IMO considering our current position as a club he is a cut above many players in this league. I would welcome Lowe as an addition to our squad any day. I have no idea considering where we are at a club why this would not be welcomed. I feel he could make a positive contribution/enhance the squad.

We are hardly a premiership side!! reality check for some people????

LOL. If you could repeat that paragraph but exactly the opposite then I would agree. 

Just now, Butty said:

That's not skepticism DE, that comes from watching a player over the course of 5 years and for me it's pretty conclusive he wouldn't be much use in this league. Even if we were in the conference could you see him running the show? Absolutely not he's shown nothing to suggest so.

He has qualities most fans can't see, Butty. Stop being part of the hive mind and see outside the box.

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

If we'd have had Dack and Smallwood in the team last season we wouldn't have been relegated.

Can we talk about something other than 

1) Jason lowe

2) our need for fictionous match winning pacy wingers that we aren’t going to get and aren’t available 

all for people having opinions but it gets tiresome when it’s the same stuff regurgitatied. 

To me, any Lowe deal seems pretty far off so no point discussing until it’s either done or close 

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we'd have had Dack and Smallwood in the team last season we wouldn't have been relegated.

If we'd had Warnock instead of Coyle we wouldn't have been relegated either, imo. The moment that clown was appointed we were doomed. An absolute disgrace when you consider Warnock was all but signed off, and proof that even as recently as last season our esteemed owners had not learned from six years of continuous mistakes. That's why so many are worried about Dack or Mulgrew being sold. Plenty of people on here said that there was no chance Coyle would be hired, and yet...

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think this thread has gone more off the rails than I ever recall. Roll on the window closing. 

What time does the window close on Wednesday?I have it on good authority that Birmingham are offering 5mill + Lowe for Dack. Deals to be signed off a minute before the deadline 

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Plenty of possibilities if you keep the defence tight there's always a way back into it at 1-2 down the fact he scored is rendered completely pointless when he then went and gave one away.

Haha, I'm not at all defending the use of Brown, which was a ridiculous signing. I just thought it was funny he omitted that Brown actually got the 2-2 goal that game.

21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think this thread has gone more off the rails than I ever recall. Roll on the window closing. 

One thing I do echo is roll on the window closing. We've got our business done and hopefully our business is done with both outgoings too (Unless someone offers too take Ward off our hands :lol:)

34 minutes ago, Butty said:

One thing I do echo is roll on the window closing. We've got our business done and hopefully our business is done with both outgoings too (Unless someone offers too take Ward off our hands :lol:)

We will give Birmingham Ward and Gladwin if they agree to keep Lowe :D 

Poor Wardy. He isn't that bad on the ball or in the air, its just he is soooo slow....

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Can we talk about something other than 

1) Jason lowe

2) our need for fictionous match winning pacy wingers that we aren’t going to get and aren’t available 

all for people having opinions but it gets tiresome when it’s the same stuff regurgitatied. 

To me, any Lowe deal seems pretty far off so no point discussing until it’s either done or close 

Anything else?

Just publish your posting rule book, it will save repeating your instructions.

Archived