Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

From Andy Bayes

Likely to be the same #rovers squad this weekend.
No offers for Dack whatsoever.
No real rush to bring in any more fresh faces but TM not ruling it out.
Wharton going out on loan a possibility. @BBCLancsSport

So nothing on Rothwell then?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd keep Wharton and loan Platt out.

He isn't getting any minutes though Tyrone. I'd have him in the squad ahead of Ward but doesn't look like Mowbray thinks he is ready and is going for wards experience. If Lenihan isn't far off then Wharton will be further away from any action.I think it would be a good move for him to go on loan

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd keep Wharton and loan Platt out.

Once Lenihan returns, we'll have Mulgrew, Downing, Ward, and Lenihan, all vying for two spots in centre of defence. Even without Lenihan available so far this season, Wharton has barely had a look-in. I can't see him getting much playing time here at the moment, so loaning him out seems sensible to me. A team in this league that are struggling in the bottom half and want a central defender to tide them over until summer would be an ideal move for all parties.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Once Lenihan returns, we'll have Mulgrew, Downing, Ward, and Lenihan, all vying for two spots in centre of defence. Even without Lenihan available so far this season, Wharton has barely had a look-in. I can't see him getting much playing time here at the moment, so loaning him out seems sensible to me. A team in this league that are struggling in the bottom half and want a central defender to tide them over until summer would be an ideal move for all parties.

That's assuming Lenihan will be back anytime soon. It looks to me that his injury is more serious than first thought. The bones in the feet are notoriously fickle. He was supposed to be back a while ago now.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's assuming Lenihan will be back anytime soon. It looks to me that his injury is more serious than first thought. The bones in the feet are notoriously fickle. He was supposed to be back a while ago now.

Very true. We saw what happened to Lowe. After a very lengthy and complicated injury, he was left with the inability to pass the ball forwards.

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He was on the grass training today according to TM 

Tony Mowbray on transfer talk in and out.
In terms of ins......don't rule out new faces.  #rovers https://t.co/XByZp3nqQ0

On Rovers official website

Asked if the club has received any offers for Bradley Dack, the boss adds: “I can categorically say to our supporters, no. I’m not sure if the papers are allowed to just write what they want, but there’s been no interest and no offers." #Rovers

More from Tony: "We’re trying to develop a team that is going to put some pride back into the club and bring supporters back. We want them to feel proud of the team and you don’t do that by selling your better players. The plan is to build for the future." #Rovers

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tony Mowbray on transfer talk in and out.
In terms of ins......don't rule out new faces.  #rovers https://t.co/XByZp3nqQ0

On Rovers official website

Asked if the club has received any offers for Bradley Dack, the boss adds: “I can categorically say to our supporters, no. I’m not sure if the papers are allowed to just write what they want, but there’s been no interest and no offers." #Rovers

More from Tony: "We’re trying to develop a team that is going to put some pride back into the club and bring supporters back. We want them to feel proud of the team and you don’t do that by selling your better players. The plan is to build for the future." #Rovers

Call me old fashioned, but I like a manager to keep quiet on transfers, why say anything about Dack at all? Especially if the stories have no foundation?

I don't see the benefit other than to keep the fans updated, which isn't a reason at all for me.

1 minute ago, Gav said:

Call me old fashioned, but I like a manager to keep quiet on transfers, why say anything about Dack at all? Especially if the stories have no foundation?

I don't see the benefit other than to keep the fans updated, which isn't a reason at all for me.

He was asked a direct question about Dack so to ignore it or refuse to say anything it would only fuel the rumours.

• Backroom

It's nice that Tony feels that way, but I'm sure Bowyer felt that way too before Cairney and Gestede were sold. Hopefully the owners have given Mowbray the authority to dictate such things for now.

15 minutes ago, DE. said:

It's nice that Tony feels that way, but I'm sure Bowyer felt that way too before Cairney and Gestede were sold. Hopefully the owners have given Mowbray the authority to dictate such things for now.

Indeed. Everything Mowbray says is nice to hear, but ultimately he isn't the boss. I hope, infact I pray, that 'they' have changed their ways and are allowing him to dictate policy from here onwards.

36 minutes ago, Gav said:

He was asked the question about interest/bids for Dack. As always he answered it honestly as he does. 

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Indeed. Everything Mowbray says is nice to hear, but ultimately he isn't the boss. I hope, infact I pray, that 'they' have changed their ways and are allowing him to dictate policy from here onwards.

As far as I am aware Mowbray is in charge of football matters and the owners have left him to run that side of club. Mowbray has said about the type of players he wants and why he wants permanent signings. He said Owners happy with this model. 

Why would they change it?

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He was asked the question about interest/bids for Dack. As always he answered it honestly as he does. 

As far as I am aware Mowbray is in charge of football matters and the owners have left him to run that side of club. Mowbray has said about the type of players he wants and why he wants permanent signings. He said Owners happy with this model. 

Hahahaha..why indeed?!

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Chaddy, you can’t pretend that the Rao’s or the advisors in control haven’t sold players from behind the managers back before.

Equally, those suggesting it as a possibility, cannot pretend that the scenario (namely wage budget to turnover) is not different to previous times.  I’m not 100% on the figures but I’m pretty sure we have a much more realistic wage budget compared to the ridiculous business done upon relegation. I’m quite convinced we aren’t still paying players long gone, still paying managers off and I’m also convinced the general squad is much cheaper than recent times.

If Dack goes for anything but a stupid bid, I’m sure I’d be in a long line of fans following Tony out the Ewood doors.

Archived