SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Glosrover said:

Cheeky loan bid may better value than another young prospect.

In what way? Paying a relatively small fee (nearing the end of his contract) for a young lad with the potential to be worth a lot more in the future is surely a lot, lot better than signing some injury prone has-been on ludicrous money.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

That website has more fliers (speculative stories) than a busy day at Heathrow. One or two of them out of many hundreds might be true. Websites like that might make for fun reading but shouldn't be taken seriously. 

Jim, it ain't a difficult concept:

Hitc (secondary source) = crap

Peter O'Rourke (Primary source) = reliable

Peter O'Rourke (primary) via hitc (secondary) is therefore surely reliable?

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

Not sure how credible this is, but here you go... Adam Le Fondre on loan.

Past it. Any players we sign from now on in should be able to improve us and be able to cut in the Championship. Even though Graham is a little older - I reckon he would be a better bet than him in the championship next season.

I do think a good Championship level striker should be on the shopping list this summer though. Graham is getting on. This Armstrong fella id like to see more but he looks very small, we need a bit of height up there - a good target man that can bring the three behind into the game.

I hope we get Chapman.  Mowbray has made sure that he has stayed involved with the club even though he has been doing his rehab with his parent club.  He has been coming over to Brockhall on a regular basis and was invited to stay with the team last month during an away game.  Certainly made a big effort to show him how much we want him and hope that we can persuade him to join us on a permanent basis. 

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Chapman is one of the most exciting players I have seen play form us in a long time. He has an X-factor. If we get him I this window will have blown my expectations out of the water 

Do players not have to pass medicals these days?

I'd love to see Chapmam sign too but with him being injured and this Rothwell fella how will they pass a medical?

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I'd love to see Chapmam sign too but with him being injured and this Rothwell fella how will they pass a medical?

He wouldn't be the first player to sign while injured. I presume the assumption would be that he will actually be able to play football again :) 

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I think it has always been up to the clubs if they want to sign or not, a player who doesn't pass a medical. Asa Hartford with his hole in the heart springs to mind.

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Vince Grella once passed a medical. Anything is possible.

2 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

I hope we get Chapman.  Mowbray has made sure that he has stayed involved with the club even though he has been doing his rehab with his parent club.  He has been coming over to Brockhall on a regular basis and was invited to stay with the team last month during an away game.  Certainly made a big effort to show him how much we want him and hope that we can persuade him to join us on a permanent basis. 

You can tell the lad likes it here. He’s constantly having banter and joining in with the squad on social media. I’d imagine we have a good chance of pulling it off, but perhaps he/his agent are waiting to see what division we’ll be in next season first?

Chapman is a 'longer term' signing on the proviso he recovers from his injury. If the worst came to the worst and we missed promotion I would like to think he would hang around for another year next season, but really he'll be looking to the Championship as will Payne, Armstrong and Bell. He isn't going to be back in the squad in the near future and possibly not again this season so his contribution to promotion this season is likely to be minimal.

Just now, FGS5635 said:

He is out of contract in the summer and not able to play. What exactly can they ask for?

Depends on if other clubs are interested I suppose. Also, his agent may be in his ear suggesting he lets his contract run down. I am sure he will have other offers. I would say we are in pole position though 

I remember Mowbray discussing Chapman at the Consultation Meeting back in September. Basically he was saying that Chapman hadn't really been properly coached yet and that all he'd ever been taught to do was to run at the opposition with no work done with him on defensive duties and other elements of his game. Mowbray was therefore saying that was one of the reasons that he was leaving Chapman on the bench until the final 20-30 minutes when his energy would cause havoc with the opposition. Meanwhile he was trying to teach Chapman about the aspects missing from his game. Mowbray said both Chapman and his agent were aware of this and were very happy with the arrangement and his progress at Rovers as longer term it ought to advance his career.

It therefore sounds as though Mowbray has a good working relationship with him and his agent and I would expect that it has put us in the driving seat with that one. He's never going to get a look in at Middlesbrough so realistically/hopefully its going to either be us or rival Championship club next season.

Archived