Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

no we don't. 

Williams very comfortable at centre back Plus Downing, Mulgrew and Lenihan plus Ward and Wharton. 

How many more do we need?

If Mulgrew is out long term we certainly do. Him, Dack or Graham out long term could be fatal. If not then I agree.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

no we don't. 

Williams very comfortable at centre back Plus Downing, Mulgrew and Lenihan plus Ward and Wharton. 

See above post - Lenihan may take a while to get up to speed, who knows how long Mulgrew is out for and do we really want Ward to play again, ever?

Plus we may need Lenihan in midfield (given most of our cms are injury prone) Williams to also cover lb. Not a grim situation but if Mulgrew is out for a while and depending on Lenihan's progress another cb may well be needed (or a way of bolstering other positions so their versatility isn't called upon.)

Had forgotten about Warton though so maybe this is his chance to shine.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

no we don't. 

26 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do we? Lenihan is almost back. Williams will cover for Mulgrew when he is out. I suppose a lot depends on how long Mulgrew is out for. Its hardly a season ender, is it? 

We concede goals from headers from corners / set plays at the moment. Without Mulgrew, I'll be panicking at every set piece. If the opposition have a couple of 6 footers who are good in the air, who the hell is going to pick them up?

We are a short side anyway and losing Mulgrew makes that worse.

If he's out for any length of time, I'd be looking at cover.

If Mulgrews scan brings bad news we really need to push the boat out and bring a decent, experienced centre half before the window shuts on Wednesday. With Lenihan not having had a game yet, no Ward on the bench and talk of Wharton going out on loan we are suddenly short of central defenders. This is crucial in my view and could be the difference between going up automatically or the lottery of the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If Mulgrew is out long term we certainly do. Him, Dack or Graham out long term could be fatal. If not then I agree.

we don't. 

Williams and Downing will be fine until Lenihan is back

16 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

See above post - Lenihan may take a while to get up to speed, who knows how long Mulgrew is out for and do we really want Ward to play again, ever?

Plus we may need Lenihan in midfield (given most of our cms are injury prone) Williams to also cover lb. Not a grim situation but if Mulgrew is out for a while and depending on Lenihan's progress another cb may well be needed (or a way of bolstering other positions so their versatility isn't called upon.)

Had forgotten about Warton though so maybe this is his chance to shine.

Lenihan is better centre half than centre midfielder. we have 4 centre half without Mulgrew and that's not including Williams

I think we sign a centre midfielder before deadline plus Travis can play there, and Evans is back in training. 

13 minutes ago, Hasta said:

We concede goals from headers from corners / set plays at the moment. Without Mulgrew, I'll be panicking at every set piece. If the opposition have a couple of 6 footers who are good in the air, who the hell is going to pick them up?

we have to agree to disagree on that. think we have enough cover there

We don’t need to cover Mulgrew. You can’t replace someone that good in January! We’ll make do with Williams and Downing until the return of either Lenihan or Mulgrew.

I’d like to see us in for another centre mid and a winger still. Don’t want Lowe to come back. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we don't. 

Lenihan is better centre half than centre midfielder. we have 4 centre half without Mulgrew and that's not including Williams

I think we sign a centre midfielder before deadline plus Travis can play there, and Evans is back in training. 

Is Derrick Williams a centre back long term for a team chasing promotion? No chance.

Worked as a plaster yesterday v a team defending a lead, easiest day ever for him.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we don't. 

You state your opinion as fact but offer little to no evidence to back it up.

You also ignore loads of points that run counter to your opinion.

For example Hasta talks about height and goals conceded to support his argument - what makes you think otherwise? Lenihan and Williams will be fine- on what basis? What about Lenihan's adjustment from injury? How much evidence is there that Williams can hack it there? One of the 4 cb you mention is Ward - ignoring the fact he is useless. I'm not saying I totally disagree but some justification of opinions and engagement in others thoughts would help.

4 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

You state your opinion as fact but offer little to no evidence to back it up.

You also ignore loads of points that run counter to your opinion.

For example Hasta talks about height and goals conceded to support his argument - what makes you think otherwise? Lenihan and Williams will be fine- on what basis? What about Lenihan's adjustment from injury? How much evidence is there that Williams can hack it there? One of the 4 cb you mention is Ward - ignoring the fact he is useless. I'm not saying I totally disagree but some justification of opinions and engagement in others thoughts would help.

Williams played as centre back for Bristol city when they gained promotion from league 1. Yes it was as back 3 but he still has the experience to play there. Also like the Left foot, right foot centre back partnership, 

Played a lot of career there I believe. 

I agree on ward. 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Williams played as centre back for Bristol city when they gained promotion from league 1. Yes it was as back 3 but he still has the experience to play there. Also like the Left foot, right foot centre back partnership, 

I agree on ward. 

As a stop gap for a game or two it may be fine. But hes not played there in years and you expect him to replace our captain and best player, potentially long term.

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

I wouldn't say Mulgrews strength is winning headers from defensive corners. In fact I'd say Ward would be better at that. Williams as well,Mowbray even said this yesterday. 

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't say Mulgrews strength is winning headers from defensive corners. In fact I'd say Ward would be better at that. Williams as well,Mowbray even said this yesterday. 

The problem being Ward is a liability who concedes is goals with his positioning and general defensive awareness

I've been saying this about the height of our side since the summer. We don't have a commanding defender who will dominate in the air other than the aforementioned Ward. Mulgrew certainly wasn't the answer to that job but I think he's better in the air than Williams. 

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree on ward. 

It's ok him being in a back 3 when Flint is heading everything away alongside of him. He won't have that luxury here.

Time will tell. I hope you are both right and I'm wrong but, whilst we still have a few days left, I'd look at short term cover if we can get it.

Just now, Hasta said:

The problem being Ward is a liability who concedes is goals with his positioning and general defensive awareness

I've been saying this about the height of our side since the summer. We don't have a commanding defender who will dominate in the air other than the aforementioned Ward. Mulgrew certainly wasn't the answer to that job but I think he's better in the air than Williams. 

It's ok him being in a back 3 when Flint is heading everything away alongside of him. He won't have that luxury here.

Time will tell. I hope you are both right and I'm wrong but, whilst we still have a few days left, I'd look at short term cover if we can get it.

Imagine having a back 2 of Lewis Dunk and Aiden Flint. Now that would be the business 

55 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As a stop gap for a game or two it may be fine. But hes not played there in years and you expect him to replace our captain and best player, potentially long term.

Mulgrew strength isn't winning headers and Williams is better as Mowbray said this after the game. 

Dack is the best player here attacking wise. 

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mulgrew strength isn't winning headers and Williams is better as Mowbray said this after the game. 

Hes certainly better than Downing in the air, but if you think Williams will be fine at centre back long term if Mulgrew is out for a while, having not played there in years, based on one game where he had no defending to do, then fine, but I am in no doubt should Mowbray sign some cover that you will soon change your tune. 

We need a player similar to Aiden Flint at Bristol.  A big presence at both ends of the pitch.  

Mulgrew is great but he needs a big lump alongside him.  We need a cb that we can throw up top for the last 5 mins in games.  Lenihan is not that player and neither is Downing or Williams.  For me Downing is a squad player - as is Williams.

We need a big unit in... If only as a squad player. 

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Whats that got to do with anything? He is the best player attacking wise agreed - though Mulgrew has been doing just as fine in that sense as a CB. Mulgrew is arguably more important to them team. We lose his set-pieces, his leadership and his obvious quality at the back.

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hes certainly better than Downing in the air, but if you think Williams will be fine at centre back long term if Mulgrew is out for a while, having not played there in years, based on one game where he had no defending to do, then fine, but I am in no doubt should Mowbray sign some cover that you will soon change your tune. 

I don't think we need cover at all. we got enough cover there to fill the position. don't need cover. we need a centre midfielder and Winger not a centre back need signing before the deadline

we have Lenihan, Williams, Downing, Wharton, Ward even Nyambe could play there. 

how big do you want the squad. 

13 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Whats that got to do with anything? He is the best player attacking wise agreed - though Mulgrew has been doing just as fine in that sense as a CB. Mulgrew is arguably more important to them team. We lose his set-pieces, his leadership and his obvious quality at the back.

Did I ever say Mulgrew isn't fine at Centre back? 

we have enough leadership in the squad without Mulgrew. Dack, Smallwood, Bennett, Graham all leaders

57 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think we need cover at all. we got enough cover there to fill the position. don't need cover. we need a centre midfielder and Winger not a centre back need signing before the deadline

we have Lenihan, Williams, Downing, Wharton, Ward even Nyambe could play there. 

how big do you want the squad. 

Did I ever say Mulgrew isn't fine at Centre back? 

we have enough leadership in the squad without Mulgrew. Dack, Smallwood, Bennett, Graham all leaders

Youve just extensively debated with me as to why we dont need a winger as Mowbray doesnt play with them.

Now we do need a winger? Make your mind up!

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Youve just extensively debated with me as to why we dont need a winger as Mowbray doesnt play with them.

Now we do need a winger? Make your mind up!

wasn't extensively debate at all

It was the match thread and How we been playing during our 17 games unbeaten run. Bennett played wide but has wide midfielder. 

winger gives you a plan B. I would be happy with Morris or Taylor from Rotherham. 

But I want Chapman signing here permanently

59 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

wasn't extensively debate at all

It was the match thread and How we been playing during our 17 games unbeaten run. Bennett played wide but has wide midfielder. 

winger gives you a plan B. I would be happy with Morris or Taylor from Rotherham. 

But I want Chapman signing here permanently

Morris isnt an out and out winger either. He often plays centrally, lacks pace and would just be another Dack, Payne etc.

I would also sign him permanently but theres no rush before Wednesday, hes no use to us now.

Archived