BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

30 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

If boro demanded say 500,000 would it be wise to offer that for chapman Im guessing that is the minimum they would be asking for

I don't think so. I'd sit down with him and his agent (he's our player anyway until the summer) and come to an 'agreement' with them that he will sign for us in the summer when his contract expires. It seems there is a good relationship there and trust between the parties so I'd be surprised/disappointed if he reneged on that down the line. It is a gamble I'd be prepared to take rather than spend £500,000 now on a kid who is seriously injured not knowing what league we will be in next season.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I hope they sign Powell. That would be fantastic. 

Powell would be a huge loss to Wigan.

They missed him badly with injury last season, though they improved once he returned at the end of the season, and obviously have had a fine season this campaign.

Like Mulgrew, too good for this level.

1 hour ago, tugayislegend said:

If boro demanded say 500,000 would it be wise to offer that for chapman Im guessing that is the minimum they would be asking for

No I reckon you've got to be looking at paying around half or so of that with some sensible add ons or sell on. If he was fit you might say 500k all in with no conditions but I don't think our lot like working like that they'll probably want to structure it over as long as possible.

4 hours ago, AJW said:

True .. I suppose it depends on how many of the fringe players leave on loan , as ithe squad stands with everybody fit and available I think we're well covered everywhere but Mowbray said last night some of the younger lads will most likely go out on loan somewhere , if say for example Travis and Tomlinson leave that could leave us short in midfield with Smallwoods suspension looming  Evans fitness issues and Whittinghams ..well .. Whittingham . The same could be said at the back , Ward has left if Wharton leaves and Mulgrew breaks down again , we might be short there too

Must be Lowe. Jewel in the crown. 

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Re Marshall, I think there's a talented footballer in there somewhere, I just think for one reason and another he's unable/unwilling to exhibit this consistently.

I think he had some issues with depression in the past, but I also question whether he's got the desire any more, which is a real shame.

I actually thought Marshall was a decent worker and up and downer with a good engine that's why RB suited him. He's one of those who can conjure up a bit of flair now and again but he's a very basic player for me as his main problem seemed to be try and knock it past someone or turn inside them a few times and when it was clear it wasn't going to work his head went down and he appeared to sulk far too easily.

Get him running up and down without expecting too much and he was fine.

• Backroom

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Nuttall leave on loan now he's tied down long term, I think he has something to offer but may not see much of the pitch with the new additions

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Nuttall leave on loan now he's tied down long term, I think he has something to offer but may not see much of the pitch with the new additions

Indeed. I think long term he'll get a lot of games but Graham is quite clearly our strongest striker and in the best form. It would be absolutely insane to even entertain the idea of dropping him at the minute.

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Funny you say that. I was watching the body language of both Samuel and Nuttall when they were warming up in the second half. They don’t seem close and Samuel is clearly Mowbray’s preferred option.

I also think he may go on loan.

Powell has done it in the Championship and has played in the Premier League (albeit 3 games) - less of a risk than going for Dack who has yet to play higher than League 1. Championship clubs are who  I worry about.

4 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

I can’t see Boro being easy to deal with. They won’t want to do us any favours after the Rhodes ordeal. Didn’t Gibson say that Venkys were the worst businesspeople he’s ever had to deal with?

Would make a bit of sense with TM saying that he will be putting in another bid for a player which has not been an easy deal to make. The kid obviously likes it here and knows he will have a great chance of making the first eleven every week. He wont be getting that up there.

• Backroom
Just now, Roboftherovers82 said:

how about  getting stokes  back in for the final push he been let go by hibs i think he could be  decent  for this level

Is that some kind of sick joke?

Just now, Roboftherovers82 said:

no  since 1989 i know stokes is trouble etc but  for this level he could be decent 

He could have been good at Championship level, or at hibs or at any club he has been at - he just hasnt been. Unfit, lazy, party lifestyle and a big attitude problem.

Would also be a bad influence on some of the kids we have coming through and our younger players like Dack, SMallwood Chapman etc

Archived