Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

S3zJ8plN_bigger.jpg Rich Sharpe @richsharpe89 5m5 minutes ago

Included in a piece on Harry Chapman’s injury recovery on Middlesbrough’s website, it says: “Contrary to reports elsewhere, the Under-20 World Cup winner has 18 months remaining on his Boro contract.”

I don't see the 18 month part?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15914620._I___m_relaxed_about_it____Rovers_boss_on_his_bid_to_bring_Harry_Chapman_to_Ewood_Park_on_a_permanent_deal/?ref=mac 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I see. Was quoted as gospel numerous places he was out of contract during the summer. Not good for us 

Given his age we were always going to have to pay a fee unless Boro didn't offer him a new contract.

Given his reliance on his explosive pace - it would have been a gamble buying him injured. 

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Given his age we were always going to have to pay a fee unless Boro didn't offer him a new contract.

Given his reliance on his explosive pace - it would have been a gamble buying him injured. 

Ya, but if he was out of contract it means we could sign him regardless if Boro wanted to keep him or not. With 12 months left in the summer, if Boro want to keep him, there is nothing we can do. 

11 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Nor me. But who are the '1 or 2'  players he is trying to accommodate if he went 5 at the back?  If he did that he's have to drop some players up front. he has 4 places up there at the moment, with 3 CH's he only have 3 attacking places at the most.

Which is another reason I wouldn't go with it right now , playing 3 at the back has become a bit "fashionable" once again , people have looked how Chelsea won the league with it last year and how well Wales played at the Euros with it and have tried to emulate that this season  Amari Bell , we were told , couldn't defend and was much better going forward and would be better suited to that wing back role .and with Lenighan approaching full fitness where would he fit in ??  Moving forward IF we were to get promoted this year I don't think we'd be able to play the 4 attacking players like we do now , it may work against the lower teams in the chamipionship , but the better teams would overrun us in midfield and dominate the game and we would get a hiding , to keep 2 strikers on the pitch and (God willing he's still a rovers player ) Bradley Dack we may have to go down the road of 3 at the back 

How do you give someone a three and a half year contract then play a short term Loanee ahead of the guy who's just got the three and half year contract. If you intend to play at a higher level next season yet the newly signed three and half year deal can't get in the side now then what capabilities does he have to be capable of playing at the higher level.

1 hour ago, JAL said:

How do you give someone a three and a half year contract then play a short term Loanee ahead of the guy who's just got the three and half year contract. If you intend to play at a higher level next season yet the newly signed three and half year deal can't get in the side now then what capabilities does he have to be capable of playing at the higher level.

Who? 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My paper  did an extensive preview of all of last weekend FA Cup games with the formations they would be playing. Out of all those teams only three teams played with 3 at the back, 2 of them were top Premier League teams and I think the other one was a Championship team,.

Man City, Spurs and Sheff Utd? 

12 hours ago, JAL said:

Who are you incoherently ranting about this time?

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Who are you incoherently ranting about this time?

I assume it's Nuttall vs. Armstrong. Makes a nice change at least.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Could have  been Chaddy. In today's Premier League preview it's  West Ham, Swansea and Chelsea that have gone down the 3 centre halves  route.

I meant Chelsea not City..

These are the team I can off with 3 at the back in PL 

Chelsea, Spurs(sometimes), West Ham, Swansea, Arsenal(until recently) 

• Backroom
Just now, JAL said:

So why did we give Joe Nuttall a contract when's he's not upto it at this level.

Do you think our squad should consist of 11 players? 

Just now, Tom said:

Do you think our squad should consist of 11 players? 

No Tom !

....but a squad thats capable of doing a job to gain success on the pitch.

You have to question the judgement at times when it's clear they've brought in a short term contractor that's more capable than the full time employee of delivering positive results the pitch.

19 minutes ago, JAL said:

So why did we give Joe Nuttall a contract when's he's not the best at this level.

Mowbray obviously sees potential in him. I personally wouldn't have as I have said previously but I only see him for twenty minutes a fortnight. if it's a straight choice between the two I'd be more confident with Armstrong playing. I see the point your making and on this one I agree to an extent but not for the same reason. I don't for one minute believe it's down to agents, backhanders, favours etc. If that's where your going with this

Archived