BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

On 10/03/2018 at 23:32, chaddyrovers said:

EVERTON’S young striker Bassala Sambou is wanted by Tony Mowbray at Blackburn.

The German-born 20-year-old, could join Rovers in the summer and will, hopefully, enjoy Championship football at Ewood.

Powerful Sambou played for Mowbray at Coventry when he was a kid before moving to Goodison.

He could switch on loan or even for cash.

Blackburn sent a delegation last week to watch the player, who seems unlikely to figure in Everton’s Premier League plans for next season.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5775792/chelsea-transfer-news-matej-delac/

Has he ever scored in an adult game chaddy ?

Has he ever failed to score against a Wolverhampton Wanderers development team ?

Why cant he get into a poor Everton first team. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/03/2018 at 06:24, Tom said:

Problem is if we don't go up I can see him leaving for £3m or so 

This is a good example of why many still feel apprehensive about the future. If some other club make a big offer for Dack, can anyone see Balaji refusing it?

Dack is our poster boy right now, we would all agree the team would not be the same without him but it all rests, not on what's best for the club, but on a foreign owners" whim.

We will  celebrate promotion if it comes but looking over our shoulder at the same time.

2 hours ago, JAL said:

Has he ever scored in an adult game chaddy ?

Has he ever failed to score against a Wolverhampton Wanderers development team ?

Why cant he get into a poor Everton first team. 

JAL mate, Everton are a premier league team, have one of the most expensive teams in Europe. With a fantastic team, just struggling. They aren't going to throw in some youngster. Common sense. Horrendous comment. As you were

20 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

JAL mate, Everton are a premier league team, have one of the most expensive teams in Europe. With a fantastic team, just struggling. 

Fantastic team ? They're bloody rubbish Everton mate ?? They need electric tags on their socks so they can find one another on the pitch.

14 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Three quarters of a million quid trading, not the elite, but lower league signings and loans.

What a mess the game is in.

It's more that 50% of what we actually spent on transfer fees. I don't think there have been too many contract negotiations in that figure. As you say Matty the game is in a real mess and a strong leadership from FIFA through to the national associations could stop this nonsense and the club's could put that money to better use.

For some perspective we have spent around 30% of our season ticket income on agents fees.

The full list: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43632830

• Backroom

That table at the bottom certainly highlights our spending power comparative to the rest of the division. Interesting to see Charlton have spent £425k on agents' fees, not too much less than Wigan, and at least 4x the majority of their peers.  

Meanwhile Shrewsbury are on £43k. 

3 minutes ago, philipl said:

That £750k suggests somebody has not gone away...

I think 'somebody' would be focusing their efforts on the rich pickings in the Premier League rather than still fiddling about at Ewood.

I accept it's a great deal of money in the real world but it's only a couple of weeks wages to some in the PL.

The game has gone absolutely bonkers.

Not something I'm that familiar with, but seems likely that some of the 'free' transfers might account for the amount we've spent on agents fees.

In the way that Bosmans lead to some of that saved cash going on a signing on fee, could there be a similar thing going on here given that agents won't be getting a slice of a transfer fee? If so, can see Whittingham & Smallwood's agent fees being significant.

Also believe that we've also brought in 17 players in this year including loans, looking at less than £50k a player. Obviously the game is being fleeced, but not sure it shows anything too dodgy in our case.

On 01/04/2018 at 22:13, LDRover said:

And they've been missing a centre forward to replace Lukaku all season. If the lad can't get a game up front in that side I'd be sceptical of him being any good.

My thoughts too!

Its the language used, using Mowbray and past connections yet when you try and dig some info up on the player their isn't much to find.

It's our sheer amount of player turnover that accounts for such disproportionate amount of agent fees. Yes they are high but we are also a bigger club than all of the others on the list.

Agent fees are indicative of all that is wrong with football. Quite why players accept it is beyond me, presumably because they simply don't care someone else is getting rich on their talents because they too are becoming super rich. The only people being ripped off is the owners and, in England especially, the fans.

Whilst I don't think this is indication that there is still wrong doing in the club (I don't think this can be compared to the Formica/Rochina deals for instance) I do think it's a sad showing that we are having to spend such amounts because we simply didn't have a team left at the end of last season.

We will have a high agent fee next year also because a lot of loans will return and will need replacing. With every transfer, in or out, some worm with a briefcase will take a cut.

Part of it is I imagine our turnover, signings, and re-signings have been well above the league average. There have been a lot of re-signings and contract extensions this year where agents will get a cut. Nyambe, Nuttall (a wild JAL appears!), Wharton, Bennett, Tomlinson, Fisher, Hardcastle, Platt, Raya, and Travis have all been extended this year.

As mentioned, there are likely some agent fees attached to the free signings, and maybe the loans (that's what's annoying about these figures - it sheds some light, which is good, but how these fees are incurred exactly remains a mystery...) Plus a few youngsters signing their first contracts (presumably a small component...), and plus the actual fee transfers...

It's certainly a fairly high number, but Wigan's right up there too at £557k (as I was looking around, apparently they spent £1.5m on agents back in League 1 in 14/15!). Part of it will reflect just being a bigger club than most of League 1... and we're all well aware our wage bill is pretty ridiculous for League 1.

Some data points for perspective: the average agent fees paid by Championship clubs was £1.8m last year. We spent £1.3m in 2016/17, £1.3m in 2014/15, and £3.5m in 2012/13 (struggling to find years in between)

However it's come about it's no surprise as we've regularly been near the top of the charts for agents fees because of the farcical revolving door policy and allowing some of these barrow boys and double glazing salesman to lumber us with so much rubbish in the first place.

Just for once though the getting rid of some deadbeats and the bringing in of some decent players a good portion of it might have actually been earned.

Some of them are parasites but you could say the same about many players/managers, etc. Obviously some of the bad feeling towards agents here is based on one in particular. If most clubs won't make a stand what more can people do? My view is that the club should only sign players who have the right attitude, etc. I'm not saying goody 2 shoes, no personality, etc but people who are committed and actually give a damn about people other than themselves. At least by the standard of footballers in general anyway. Only work with players, agents, etc who are prepared to give something back for their excessive financial rewards. Working with no agents whatsoever however is a step too far.

Of course when managers deal regularly with certain agents people might question it but people work with those they trust. In some cases they may conspire but its not always to the clubs detriment if they use the same agent numerous times. I'm not being naive just speaking the truth. I don't think all trustees are bad just because of the ones who openly neglected their duties here. Agents can justify their experience by being hired. Perhaps players should be the ones questioned for hiring them. While I wouldn't play for free (that would be silly) I certainly wouldn't see the need to hire an agent. The negotiations would be straightforward as long as clubs were not taking the piss with excessively lowball offers. People say footballers are thick, etc but I don't see what's so complex about it. If a player wants to argue their worth then why can't they do it themselves? Some players may struggle to find a club without contacts, etc but I'm talking at the top level mostly because of the sums who change hands. Most of those should be able to find something even if it means dropping down a level or 2.

Hardly a bloody shock either is it that Rovers are top of the L1 league for agent spending? It was obviously going to be Rovers or Wigan. That's what happens when those 2 clubs have the biggest budgets in the League. Obviously some will have gone to agents just like it went on player fees/wages, general maintenance, etc and there's no doubt Rovers are top 2 for all those. Some people are incredibly simplistic posting articles like this as if its supposed to be some big shock. Welcome to Planet Earth. Venkys may have learned from being ripped off by Anderson hence the lawsuit Reg Rover mentioned (in LT comments) and Philipl conveniently ignores. Pasha might be an ignorant prick but Venkys trust him and he's probably not trying to screw them over. People say he worked for Kentaro, etc but my belief is he was a liaison more than anything else and grew to dislike Anderson. Clearly nor do Venkys like him these days unless people think that lawsuit is all some big smokescreen? Cheston is about as charismatic as a dead slug but Shaw/Singh were dodgier. They might not be the best at negotiating with agents but at least it seems like the club isn't being taken for a ride anymore. We await to see what Waggott does and if he's going to be the central negotiator now.

35 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Maybe the reason why we pay such high agent fee's is the lack of experience and man power we've had at board room level.

They may be overly relying on agents to get deals done on our behalf?

Yep. It is probably a key reason for the powers that be going with the lack of experience in the first place..

On 04/04/2018 at 08:08, arbitro said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/16135948.rovers-spending-on-agents-fee-during-last-12-months-revealed/?ref=mr&lp=8

I was amazed by this. I know there were lots of ins and outs but £750k is quite staggering.

Thought you said that they are only doing a job for their clients. I'm suprised it's this low Tony. 

Are there accounts to show players who pay their agents a fee ?.

Archived