SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Agree with everything apart from Whittingham. His legs have gone. Warnock realised that he would not be able to hack Championship football this season so got rid by offering terms which Rovers could beat. Caddis' previous injuries have caught with him as well.

Gladwin not seen much of but on the cameos this season is just a waste of a wage. The players on loan at Rovers, I'd try and keep on loan next season with the exception of Payne and Antonsson.

Adelakun looked a good player the only time I've seen him but so did the forward for Bristol Rovers when they played at Ewood.

To be fair we have the basis of a good squad what is required are two midfielders with good engines who can pass the ball. Sad to say these types costs real money so may cause Rovers some problem.

Ashley Hunter at Fleetwood is well worth looking at IMO.

I agree that there are some potential gems in Leagues 1 and 2 that are worth a punt. They've all got something to prove and suspect they'd be 'grounded' individuals with a point to make at a progressive club, as opposed to any 32 year old ex PL players wanting a final pay packet but with little intention of giving anything in return.

In addition, we've got our newly promoted Under 23 players to consider, looking for squad positions. We didn't swap places with Man United in that hierarchy without having a player or two!

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

Ashley Hunter at Fleetwood is well worth looking at IMO.

I agree that there are some potential gems in Leagues 1 and 2 that are worth a punt. They've all got something to prove and suspect they'd be 'grounded' individuals with a point to make at a progressive club, as opposed to any 32 year old ex PL players wanting a final pay packet but with little intention of giving anything in return.

In addition, we've got our newly promoted Under 23 players to consider, looking for squad positions. We didn't swap places with Man United in that hierarchy without having a player or two!

Having seen some decent players in League One this season I firmly believe that is the market we should be looking at. Invariably these players are the right age, hungry and won't be demanding ridiculous wages such as a washed up has been would. 

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

We don't play with players who cross the ball which Rudy requires.

Could say the same about graham. I'd say we need 2 wide men this off season for next season regardless of who is up front

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

We don't play with players who cross the ball which Rudy requires.

Plus playing him up front on his own wouldn't be very productive. 4-4-2 with Armstrong along side him, maybe. He'll still be on top wages and he's had a serious injury. So no thanks for me.

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Could say the same about graham. I'd say we need 2 wide men this off season for next season regardless of who is up front

Graham's got a better all round game than Rudy. One of the best headers of a ball I've seen at Ewood but on his own admission his technique is a bit limited.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Plus playing him up front on his own wouldn't be very productive. 4-4-2 with Armstrong along side him, maybe. He'll still be on top wages and he's had a serious injury. So no thanks for me.

so you dropping Dack then? 

League 1 player of the season 

I was a big fan of Gestede but I wouldn't re sign him. Fee and wages would be massive problem

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Graham fights for the ball and plays people in. Rudi thrieved in the box on the centre half's shoulders but wasn't great at holding the ball. His partnership with King looked promising so maybe with Armstrong a similar thing could develop.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I was a big fan of Gestede but I wouldn't re sign him. Fee and wages would be massive problem

Tony likes to play different systems different games.

We certainly would need to sign 2 wingers next season imo.

With the time he's had since leaving I wouldn't think he'd cost 2m. You may be right about wages.

He's a huge step up on Dominic samuel.

More of me reminiscing then putting forward a realistic possibility though.

Just now, bboy said:

Tony likes to play different systems different games.

We certainly would need to sign 2 wingers next season imo.

With the time he's had since leaving I wouldn't think he'd cost 2m. You may be right about wages.

More of me reminiscing then putting forward a realistic possibility though.

Well Boro paid 6 million pounds. 

I understand that Mowbray like to play different systems. 

I agree we need 2 wingers, one for either wing

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Of course not. If things aren't going our way during the game we could drop Dack further back and play a more direct game.It's not an 11 man game these days. The strength of your bench is as important as the starting 11. Let's get to the middle of August before we see who stayed at the club first. No guarantees Dack will be here yet.

• Moderation Lead
40 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Time to bring Josh Morris home? 

Reckon he’d be well up for that, his missus is from the RV and she’s quite frankly one of the best looking women ever created.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not for me. We need some pace out wide not more plodders. he's found his level in this division.

We could still Sign Morris and still sign Pace out wide. 

Expect Conway to get another contract in summer for 12 months

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We could still Sign Morris and still sign Pace out wide. 

Expect Conway to get another contract in summer for 12 months

I wouldn't give him another year. he's not been good enough in this league. No chance of him doing anything a year older and at a higher level. No sentiment in pro football. 

Archived