BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

51 minutes ago, AAK said:

Antonson I wouldn't want us to buy, half decent at this level, however if we manage promotion, isn't good enough for Championship. Downing may be worth signing permanent, however again, if we achieve promotion, we still have Mulgrew, Lenihan and Wharton, therefore would only look to sign permanently if on the cheap.

Chapman, out of contract at end of season, if we can pull off some sort of deal to get him on a permanent would be delighted.

In terms of other incoming's, George Cooper from Crewe, played well against us, only 21, top assists in League 2 even though he's playing for a struggling Crewe side, would be fairly cheap I would imagine being in that division and at Crewe. Young talented player which is what we should be signing.

Harry Anderson another good option from League 2, 5 goals and same assists from right midfield, very pacey and creative.

Marcus Maddison one of the obvious one's very good player, 13 assists and 5 goals this season, may be a little to expensive depends how much money we have, play out wide or central midfield.

We need new full backs also, however that can probably wait until we know if we will be in league 1 or the championship. Furlong on loan from QPR maybe, good player in this division last season whilst on loan at Swindon.

Jack Payne I mentioned earlier on in season, but on loan until end of season at Oxford, Huddersfield have option to recall in January, but doubt they would recall him just to send him on loan to another league 1 club.

I mentioned Marcus Maddison above and believe he would be ideal and has the ability to step up to Championship standards as well I believe. Still young at 24 and can play multiple positions as a winger, attacking midfielder and even left back according to wiki.

Would likely cost money though - so highly doubt it would happen.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I'd look at Devante Cole (Andy Coles son) out of contract at the end of the season and looks good. 

Bring in another CB. 

Look at getting a new CM.

Sign Chapman on a pre contract.

A creative LM and sell Conway. 

Then another creative wing/attacking midfield type to compete with Dack. (Or Costello could step up)

I'd send Harper back, he's getting in  way of our academy. 

Look to sell Graham.

Sell Ward.

Sell Feeney.

Sell Caddis (Travis is much better) 

Sell Whittingham (promote Tomlinson fully) 

Then tie down Nuttall to a longer term contract (think it expires end of this season)

Sell Graham, Conway, Caddis, Whittingham, Caddis, Feeney and Ward? Practically all of the remaining experience. Madness.

Firstly who is going to want to sign literally any of those players, factoring in age and wages? No one.

Graham is our only experienced striker, Conway is our vice captain and both have deals that expire at the end of the season. Keep them until then.

Chapman would require compensation to sign due to age so we cant agree a pre-contract agreement, im sure he wouldnt anyway if im honest.

Basically rooting out half the squad and removing all the know how and experience in a promotion push is absolutely unrealistic and crazy, luckily Mowbray wont do this.

Need a pacy winger with flair who can cross, another Chapman, if theres any money less, I'd look at a right back as Nyambe isnt good enough despite playing well the other day, dont see us being able to sign a prolific striker, of which Devante Cole is not.

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would he join and why would they sell him?

Why would a player from Scunthorpe join Blackburn Rovers, really? And because he's out of contract at the end of the season... clubs like Scunthorpe aren't in the financial position to turn down £700k+ when they will get £0 at the end of the season

16 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Why would a player from Scunthorpe join Blackburn Rovers, really? And because he's out of contract at the end of the season... clubs like Scunthorpe aren't in the financial position to turn down £700k+ when they will get £0 at the end of the season

Come on man - i agree the deal is unlikely but you think a player would rather play for Scunny than us? Through pure choice? Stop giving other reasons why the deal would not happen. You asked why would want to join us? That is a question on whether the player would join us instead of play for Scunny.

I could also say better facilities and stadium, richer history and a larger fanbase (though not that great at the moment)

Just now, JacknOry said:

Come on man - i agree the deal is unlikely but you think a player would rather play for Scunny than us? Through pure choice? Stop giving other reasons why the deal would not happen. You asked why would he join us? That is a question on whether the player would join us instead of play for Scunny.

Think you have him mixed up with someone else, he is giving reasons why the player would join us

22 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Come on man - i agree the deal is unlikely but you think a player would rather play for Scunny than us? Through pure choice? Stop giving other reasons why the deal would not happen. You asked why would want to join us? That is a question on whether the player would join us instead of play for Scunny.

I could also say better facilities and stadium, richer history and a larger fanbase (though not that great at the moment)

7 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Yeah sorry roversfan99 - got you mixed up with the original poster.

I'm confused, I'm saying that he would rather play for us than Scunthorpe.

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It is clever to sell Whittingham, Graham and Conway now, while we are third in League 1, because they won't be good enough for the Championship? No ,it would actually be extremely stupid. It would be clever to sell them once promoted. Did you not think of that or are you on the egg nog early? 

Graham out of contract so can't be sold, don't know if Conway is too? 

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We must keep Graham as an option.

The other options are Samuel, who is a loose cannon and always one red mist away from another red card, the developing Nuttall and Antonnsson, now stuck out wide.

Now do you really want rid of Graham?

I reluctantly agree. Graham is past it but is the only real option to Samuel, who I like. A bit of devil in a striker is an advantage within reason. Nuttall is a good prospect but needs a bit more coaching before he is ready and Antonsson is far too lightweight to be a central striker and in fact only effective on the left against a slow full back.

Archived