BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Caulkers got big gambling and alcohol problems.

He was on the highest wages at QPR.

The mutal consent departure benefits the player and QPR. Club get shut of the wages and as effectively a free agent he can ask for good terms at his next club.

A bit out of our budget, but a good player if his head is ok now.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

think someone maybe trying to create mischief before today game , I suppose when we play Shrewsbury we'll be linked with one of their players too , I agree with the pacy winger , but we had one if those in Feeney .. What good is a pacy winger if he's no end product ? .. IF we sign anybody in this window Permanently they would have to be good enough , not just for this league but also for the league above , my guess is 1 or 2 , what I would call "fillers in" will sign on loan and not much else , biggest worry is who leaves . Don't think Teams in the lower half of championship wont be looking at our players , we have already said Smallwood was exactly the type of player we needed last season ... Who says a club like Birmingham aren't thinking the same

Call me naieve but I really don’t think we’ll sell any key players in January. If we managed to keep hold them in the summer having just gone down and having spent practically nothing past few windows I think we’ll manage to hold on to them considering we’re in or around automatic promotion spots.

On Jon Taylor I’ve heard he doesn’t get along with the manager at Rotherham because  he’s been having trouble with injuries and the manager has been trying to rush him back. Apparently the players there don’t respect the bloke in charge because he’s never done anything. I’d like to say if we are in for him in January I’d hear about it but I don’t think we will be as he was a marquee signing for Rotherham and they’re reluctant to let go.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Isnt Nolan a centre midfielder anyway? 

Werent we linked with Taylor before? He is a pacey winger?

I would like to see us sign Josh Morris for left wing. 

Im suggesting potential signings. 

Maybe try it instead of complain..

Yes he has but he has talent. Just need the right manager to guide him..

Don't know much about Nolan, I know that Taylor is very tricky and can pop up with a goal. Morris would definitely be a good signing, he's come on leaps and bounds since he left us. 

8 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Tavernier- no thanks, can’t defend. Useful going forward but horrifically exposed defensively in bigger games. From a Scottish rover

Pretty much bang on... not that we could afford his 2m asking price either or if he'd even join us.

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Caulkers got big gambling and alcohol problems.

He does. But Charlie Mulgrew has/had big injury problems, Bradley Dack had gone backwards, Richie Smallwood was a Rotherham reject. We don't deal in sure things. We deal in calculated risks. 

One could pick fault with every name linked to us these days, but we are where we are, unfortunately. That's what makes the managerial appointment so important, he needs trusted and backed. 

Just now, Doaksie said:

He does. But Charlie Mulgrew has/had big injury problems, Bradley Dack had gone backwards, Richie Smallwood was a Rotherham reject. We don't deal in sure things. We deal in calculated risks. 

One could pick fault with every name linked to us these days, but we are where we are, unfortunately. That's what makes the managerial appointment so important, he needs trusted and backed. 

In this league you are dealing with a lot of " broken toys "- players who maybe should have made it at a higher level but for one reason or another haven't done. It goes with the territory I'm afraid.

If you are successful with 50% of those types of signings you're doing well.

Just now, Doaksie said:

Gambling and alcohol problems are a bit more serious to a loss of form. I'm pretty sure Mowbray wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. We haven't been linked wuith him anyway so it's irrelevant..

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Blackburn Rovers have made a bid for Fleetwood Town left-back Amari'i Bell. https://t.co/c2SgwyM6Uc

Can he play right back also ? I'm not William's biggest fan but he seems to be doing ok at the moment.. Or are we looking for a more attack minded left back so we can play the dreaded 3 centre back system ? I can see it now- Lenihan, Downing, Mulgrew.

12 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

ACTUAL LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/12/30/por-blackburn-bid-for-fleetwoods-bell/

A left-back from Fleetwood. Probably bullshit.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Blackburn Rovers have made a bid for Fleetwood Town left-back Amari'i Bell. https://t.co/c2SgwyM6Uc

Keep up Chaddy, and it's from a website not known for getting things right so hardly an 'official' bid.

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Gambling and alcohol problems are a bit more serious to a loss of form. I'm pretty sure Mowbray wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. We haven't been linked wuith him anyway so it's irrelevant..

Aye, you're most likely correct. I just felt like Nicko'ing a few names out there who would improve on what we currently have. Stir the pot a bit. 

I expect loans to be the ultimate route we take in January. With the option to purchase in the summer. 

13 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Keep up Chaddy, and it's from a website not known for getting things right so hardly an 'official' bid.

It's my link....

no it's my link......:lol:

27 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/12/30/por-blackburn-bid-for-fleetwoods-bell/

A left-back from Fleetwood. Probably bullshit.

I'm not sure left-back is a priority. Williams has been good enough this season, although I admittedly know nothing about Bell, nor how good or bad he is.

For those suggesting we should buy Downing in this window, I doubt very much that will happen, given that we've got him here until the end of the season. We might have first-option on him in Summer, so if that's the case, leave it as it is. No harm in seeing if his first half of this season was just a purple patch, as his club history suggests, but he's been a godsend so far.

Just now, Blue n whites said:

Boy called jamie walker from hearts was talking to rovers last week. On a free at end of year. At wigan as we speak

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-in-talks-to-sign-wigan-midfielder-jack-byrne-1-4649115

He's mentioned in the link that I, not Chaddy, posted yesterday re Jack Byrne. Is Walker any good?

38 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Friends with a villa fan who says they have a big and real interest in Powell at Wigan. Going to come with a serious bid before the window closes apparently 

Said rumour has been posted on twitter by Nicko, for whatever that is worth.

I expect they'll still have enough to go up, even if he goes without a replacement, but maybe opens up the race for top spot.

12 minutes ago, Blue n whites said:

Boy called jamie walker from hearts was talking to rovers last week. On a free at end of year. At wigan as we speak

Good player but not hit the heights this year, Harry cochrane should be on our list if he continues his development.

Rangers looked at Walker in the summer and wouldn't be surprised to see him head there.

Archived