SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I said when we signed Whittingham that it could be " a season too far " for him. Look it up if you don't believe me. One or two other people thought the same at the time and we got a bit of stick off the " true believers " on the site. Unfortunately  so far he's proved me dead right. Just tell me we didn't sign him on more than a one year contract please !

I think he could have something to offer us still. He’d start next to Smallwood for me in my ideal first 11 but he’s definitely been a big disappointment I’m sure he’d admit the same.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Who are you playing LW then out of interest Jim?

That's the problem. None of our " wide " players offer very much at all in attacking terms. How many goals have come from the players in those positions this season ? Hardly any. Antonnson doesn't offer much in play making terms either but he does score goals.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd like to see him play again first. That wasn't an insignificant injury.

He isn't going to be signed permanently this window anyway. He wouldn't pass a medical.Plus Pulis is just in the door at Boro ,Boro are Chapman's hometown team I'm sure Chapman's first choice would be signing a new contract with them 

Just now, islander200 said:

He isn't going to be signed permanently this window anyway. He wouldn't pass a medical.Plus Pulis is just in the door at Boro ,Boro are Chapman's hometown team I'm sure Chapman's first choice would be signing a new contract with them 

Like I said before - after that injury I'd snatch their hands off if I was offered a new contract by ' Boro.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nicko saying Cardiff now after Bell. 

Clear nothing imminent at our end. He wouldn't have started vs Leicester yesterday if it was.

I also find it hard to believe that we're planning on paying out a six figure sum for 'competition' at LB. 

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Clear nothing imminent at our end. He wouldn't have started vs Leicester yesterday if it was.

I also find it hard to believe that we're planning on paying out a six figure sum for 'competition' at LB. 

Joe Bennett has been a star for them, Declan John has moved on to Rangers but could only see him being cover at Cardiff.

Haven't seen the thread for a few days but my understanding that we are looking to sign Downing on a permanent deal. Armstrong from Newcastle on loan. Bell from Fleetwood rumours of signing and the big one Jason Lowe coming back. Is that about it? Is there any talks of anyone else coming? 

8 minutes ago, GreenRover said:

Haven't seen the thread for a few days but my understanding that we are looking to sign Downing on a permanent deal. Armstrong from Newcastle on loan. Bell from Fleetwood rumours of signing and the big one Jason Lowe coming back. Is that about it? Is there any talks of anyone else coming? 

We missed out on Bodin according to Nixon if it can be believed 

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

A week or two ago Mowbray said he was happy with his central midfield options https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/december/mowbray-happy-with-central-options/

I don't think he was being entirely honest. Smallwood hasn't had a decent partner in there all season. Mowbray mentioned he signed Harper because he was mobile and could get around the pitch, something he hinted the others couldn't. It is obviously something Mowbray thinks the team needs in centre mid. Lowe makes sense for that reason. If it's on a free or on loan on low wages then Mowbray can spend his budget elsewhere (on wingers) without having to splash out on a central midfielder too. Mowbray also wanted to keep Lowe in the summer so he obviously rates him.

Maybe we expect too much? Mowbray's signings have been hit and miss. The successes have been Dack, Smallwood and Downing. I wouldn't include Chapman because he never played him. The rest have been very average. Samuel at  £500k is a poor piece of business. The summer recruitment (only players Mowbray knows or did well against him) smacked of laziness. The potential signings of Lowe and Armstrong are a continuation of this policy.

most managers have hot and miss signings so far. 

don't forgot that Paul Senior was meant to be charge of recruitment and not Mowbray but all this change very quickly after Senior left the club and Mowbray took over the recruitment. Mowbray has recently revamp the scouting network and how we scouted players. 

Armstrong is a good scorer and that's what we need as well 2 to 3 signings aswell

3 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

The summer recruitment (only players Mowbray knows or did well against him) smacked of laziness. The potential signings of Lowe and Armstrong are a continuation of this policy.

Or a lack of a good scouting network or even one at all ....

Mowbray has said they wasn't a good enough scouting network at the club. this is why he fetch in Mike Rigg to change the scouting network and change how we scouted player. 

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

They've got the money. How badly do they want it?

It would be a Rhodes type signing. If we didnt get promoted for any reason it's unliikely we wouldnt make a profit on the player at some point.

Leeds have offered 2 mil plus but nothing change yet

2 hours ago, OJRovers said:

If we're after a central midfielder then buy one who will help us get promoted, not a proven failure from the past.

The lad at Shrewsbury (Nolan) will be on peanuts a week. Offer him 3x the money and he'll soon have his head turned. 

Norwich after him now. 

2 hours ago, bluefred said:

You forgot Armstrong or has something changed ?

Armstrong still on his way. confirmed by Lee Ryder(Newcastle local paper journalist) and Alan Nixon

5 minutes ago, GreenRover said:

we bid for Billy Bodin from Bristol Rovers but Went PNE instead. 

18 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Someone else said that on the previous page. Looks like he's let the cat out of the bag...or he's trolling!

Maybe. Perhaps he thinks if after all this he doesn't sign Lowe we will all be so relieved that we'll accept any other signings that he does (or doesn't) make.

18 hours ago, islander200 said:

In my opinion he has already proved to be a steady and decent league 1 centre half.

But like others have said it is still open to question  whether he can make the step up to championship level when he will  be facing a higher level of foward. 

I'm interested as to why you are so sure he can make the step up?

Can I put it another way. Are we so sure that WE will make the step up?

13 minutes ago, Al said:

Can I put it another way. Are we so sure that WE will make the step up?

That isn't the discussion I was getting involved in though?With the budget we have we should be getting promoted.Big changes would need to happen in the summer for us to do anything in the Championship.

Of course we have to get there first which is very much in the balance at the moment.We need a good window,the first 11 needs improvement.Not equally as average players in the case of Evans and Lowe. Our attack is crying out for a bit of pace in the wide areas

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Our fans are gas. When we are linked to someone decent,the journalist can't be believed. When we are linked to someone who the fans don't rate,it is stone cold fact we are signing them and all out panic stations. 

I know what you mean. Anyone would think it was born out of experience!

Archived