BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

The lack of interest in a right back either means to me - 1) he doesn't see it as an issue and is happy with Nyambe and Caddis with Travis around too or 2) he doesn't intend on playing a typical right back.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FGS5635 said:

Many years ago I was at a wigan game and after it went into the wigan supporters club with some friends.

At the time wigan were struggling for goals and my mates decided to start a rumour . They started mentioning to people around us that they had just seen Dean Saunders gettting out of a car and walking off with Dave Whelan.

Within 10mins everyone in this supporters club is talking about it and what a good signing saunders would be.

We sat there laughing and later went home and thought no more of it until picking up the Wigan Evening News on Monday, where the back 3 pages where all about Dean Saunders and how latics where on the verge of signing him.

Funny story, but the obvious moral of it, dont believe any of the BS you read during these windows, becasue it really is that simple to fool everyone. Including reporters who are so eager to be the 1st to report it

Many years ago a bloke wrote into When Saturday Comes saying he did something similar about Shearer joining Newcastle & how loads of media outlets picked up on it.

He admitted it was total fabrication. Then about 6 months later we all know what happened...?

13 minutes ago, J*B said:

The lack of interest in a right back either means to me - 1) he doesn't see it as an issue and is happy with Nyambe and Caddis with Travis around too or 2) he doesn't intend on playing a typical right back.

Ya, I would imagine he is happy enough with 3 right-backs for 1 position. 

Just now, J*B said:

I don't see right back as an issue either. Whilst they aren't world beaters  I dont mind either Caddis or Nyambe. I'd sooner get a better left back in to replace Williams.

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, I would imagine he is happy enough with 3 right-backs for 1 position. 

He also has three left-backs in the squad: Williams, Doyle, and Hart. On the balance of it, I'd say the left-back position is well-covered already, yet our midfield (centre and wide positions) is the area that needs bulking up.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

He also has three left-backs in the squad: Williams, Doyle, and Hart. On the balance of it, I'd say the left-back position is well-covered already, yet our midfield (centre and wide positions) is the area that needs bulking up.

Badly need a winger and a center mid. The quality of which will play a huge part in whether we go up or not. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Badly need a winger and a center mid. The quality of which will play a huge part in whether we go up or not. 

Spot on.

Although maybe a centre back as well, if Lenihan isn't returning quickly. Have to keep Ward out of the team at all costs.

Another thing that will play a huge part in whether we go up or not is if he messes about with the formation. That hasn't gone well at all in previous experiments.

Just now, Blue blood said:

Spot on.

Although maybe a centre back as well, if Lenihan isn't returning quickly. Have to keep Ward out of the team at all costs.

Another thing that will play a huge part in whether we go up or not is if he messes about with the formation. That hasn't gone well at all in previous experiments.

There is nothing to say he will change formation, other than fans jumping to wild conclusions speculating on here. 

Ya, poor old Ward. I get a bad feeling when I see him starting. I would say Mowbray will go with what he has in that department 

47 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I don't see right back as an issue either. Whilst they aren't world beaters  I dont mind either Caddis or Nyambe. I'd sooner get a better left back in to replace Williams.

Last season I would have agreed but that isn't fair when Williams has probably been one of the best and most consistent players this season. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Last season I would have agreed but that isn't fair when Williams has probably been one of the best and most consistent players this season. 

You could argue he's found his level in League 1 but his still gets caught out way too often with people getting in behind him for my liking. And going forward his distribution is awful. You know what they say about people who can't head the ball straight having a 50p head. He's got 50p feet.

Just now, islander200 said:

Paul Gallagher and Jason Lowe just been spotted sharing a happy meal at McDonald's in Ewood

Well they have to go somewhere now the Bulls Head at Wilpshire has shut and I don't suppose the Wilpshire Hotel is open until this evening!

Edit: Ray Wilkins not with them?

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Paul Gallagher and Jason Lowe just been spotted sharing a happy meal at McDonald's in Ewood

I assume in the race for the toy that came with the meal, Lowe energetically run up to the toy, got within 2 yards of it and danced around it getting no closer to actually getting it. Meanwhile Gallagher strolled up to it, flicked it up with his right peg and watched it gracefully land in his pocket.

Just now, davulsukur said:

I assume in the race for the toy that came with the meal, Lowe energetically run up to the toy, got within 2 yards of it and danced around it getting no closer to actually getting it. Meanwhile Gallagher strolled up to it, flicked it up with his right peg and watched it gracefully land in his pocket.

Doubtful Lowe got within ten yards of it but very good indeed. I'll be chuckling about that all day!

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Wigan have signed Walker from Hearts, a direct winger apparently who is highly rated.

Bit of a worry that our rivals are stealing a march on us.

Someone has mentioned him on here before. We need to get 1 or even 2 wingers snapped up quick time but looks like our main focus is signing a left back at the minute. Doesn't make sense too me no matter how good the player is, a lot more pressing concerns position wise than left back.

Archived