BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rotherham V Rovers

Kamy100

9 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Quite possibly. Or that we don’t have a commanding aerial presence at either end, which we don’t IMO. Or both.

Both I'd say. Mowbray likes ball playing Centre Halves, unfortunately they don't always have what it takes when balls get bombed in from corners. It must be close to double figures the number of goals we've conceded from corners.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and to add - the division isn’t finalised with 21 games to play. This idea that we are one of two results from throwing second or first away is really tiring. Maybe if we are 6/7 points with 5 games left, but not at this point.

20 minutes ago, Gav said:

Whilst it's disappointing to lose a late goal, a draw away at Rotherham, who have been flying of late, isn't such a bad result. 

We are now unbeaten in 14 games which is a great effort, and sit in 3rd place, very well placed to take one of the automatic promotion places with bags of points left to play for.

A mention for the manager, where did he pull that rabbit (Dack) from? And why did nobody else snap that lad up? What a great signing he's proving to be and he could well be the difference come May.

Extremely pleased with the season so far, much better than I expected.  

Good man Gav. Great to see a bit of positivity. ?

15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

(Tin hat on)

Have we won since Bennett was brought back into the side?

Not all his fault of course but sometimes the margin between winning and losing can be extremely fine and we need to be as good as we can be all over the pitch.

We seemed to be picking up results quite nicely if not playing particularly well when he was unavailable.

I would ditch him and go on the offensive with two main strikers up top. Especially at home.

Bit harsh! Only 6 days ago he started in the win against Rochdale and won the penalty! 

• Backroom
14 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

(Tin hat on)

Have we won since Bennett was brought back into the side?

Not all his fault of course but sometimes the margin between winning and losing can be extremely fine and we need to be as good as we can be all over the pitch.

We seemed to be picking up results quite nicely if not playing particularly well when he was unavailable.

I would ditch him and go on the offensive with two main strikers up top. Especially at home.

We beat Rochdale in his first game back, we drew the game before,  he won a penalty that we scored (I think he won it anyway)

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Biz said:

Oh, and to add - the division isn’t finalised with 21 games to play. This idea that we are one of two results from throwing second or first away is really tiring. Maybe if we are 6/7 points with 5 games left, but not at this point.

No but if we potentially went 8 points behind second that's 3 games we need to win with them losing to catch them assuming they don't better any of our other results. That's pretty poor and leaves us with a large hill to climb.

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why is it much better than you expected? how low were your expectations?

Posters on here seem to have forgotten that we got relegated last season, went down without a whimper, and that's on the back of 7 seasons of cr@p under that lot from Pune.

You quite simply do not put those things right by signing 1 player for a fee, it takes time, if money was the answer Leicester wouldn't have won the Premiership etc etc.

Thats why my expectations are realistic rather than low roversfan99.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Does 'positivity' on a forum win points?

Well can't change the result now so what's the point in negativity. Frustrated today but still unbeaten in 14. There was nothing won in January anyway so no need to press the panic bottom just yet. I agree we do need to reinforce the squad but considering the sickness in the squad the festive season was ok. Could have something to do with us letting a lead slip twice. Energy levels could be low. 

Just now, GreenRover said:

Well can't change the result now so what's the point in negativity. Frustrated today but still unbeaten in 14. There was nothing won in January anyway so no need to press the panic bottom just yet. I agree we do need to reinforce the squad but considering the sickness in the squad the festive season was ok. Could have something to do with us letting a lead slip twice. Energy levels could be low. 

Should we close the thread if the posts are 'negative'? Is saying we concede too many goals from corners 'negative'? Is this North Korea?

• Backroom

Is it "negativity" to discuss the team's flaws though, or is it just pointing out ways we need to improve? It seems like some posters on here won't be happy unless we're all lavishing praise on the team irrespective of anything else. What an utterly boring forum that would be. Funnily enough there used to be forums like that, but for some reason they don't exist anymore. 

Just now, Tom said:

We beat Rochdale in his first game back, we drew the game before,  he won a penalty that we scored (I think he won it anyway)

Thanks. I missed tbe Rochdale game due to family commitments and actually thought he came back in for the Northampton game. 

I still wouldnt put him in the starting line up though. Don't see that he offers anything at all. In seasons gone by he would gloss over an anonymous performance slightly by producing the occasional thunderbolt out of nowhere but he even seems to have lost that out of his armoury now.

That said, they all need to up their performance level considerably apart from Dack if we're to challenge for automatic promotion.

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

No but if we potentially went 8 points behind second that's 3 games we need to win with them losing to catch them assuming they don't better any of our other results. That's pretty poor and leaves us with a large hill to climb.

I’m not arguing that it doesn’t help to have more points, I’m arguing that those saying “lose to the shrews and it’s over” or something similar. It’s the same BS that come from SEM sports pundits when teams are already “relegated” by September in some cases.

We still have to play a lot of teams at home we should beat- including Wigan and Shrewsbury. 

If we where 12 points outside top two, and never looking like winning - I’d be more concerned. At current, it’s little things that are costing us. Sadly, I think Tony is the main reason today because the Ward sub had the alternate yet predictable result.

2 minutes ago, GreenRover said:

We've had illness running through the camp, and with so many games in a short space of time it's going to take its toll.

I think it's important to keep the momentum going, but it maybe more important to rest a few for Hull everything considered. 

• Backroom
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Thanks. I missed tbe Rochdale game due to family commitments and actually thought he came back in for the Northampton game. 

I still wouldnt put him in the starting line up though. Don't see that he offers anything at all. In seasons gone by he would gloss over an anonymous performance slightly by producing the occasional thunderbolt out of nowhere but he even seems to have lost that out of his armoury now.

That said, they all need to up their performance level considerably apart from Dack if we're to challenge for automatic promotion.

I didn't go either so couldn't tell you how he played, it may be a bit grim but at present he seems our only option out wide, Conway has no legs and Whittingham can't play there.

A winger should be a priority for me.

23 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15801604._The_team_invited_the_pressure_late_on____Tony_Mowbray_reacts_to_Rovers__draw_at_Rotherham_United/?ref=mac

“I thought when we scored we would go on and score again but frustratingly for us we invited the pressure late on"

Did his substitution not invite the pressure?

Maybe,but at the end of the day it's the players on the field who invite it. Most teams winning by a goal do it near the end. We just seem to be unlucky more than lucky at times in these situations 

20 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15801604._The_team_invited_the_pressure_late_on____Tony_Mowbray_reacts_to_Rovers__draw_at_Rotherham_United/?ref=mac

“I thought when we scored we would go on and score again but frustratingly for us we invited the pressure late on"

Did his substitution not invite the pressure?

Mowbray blames the players "I don’t know why the midfield dropped so deep on top of the back four..."

I'm confused. This quote is about after Ward came on. Where was Ward playing as Mowbray still refers to a back 4.

Last 4 games we've conceded 4 goals. Wigan have conceded 0 and Shrewsbury 1.

We've lost 2 points on Wigan and 4 points on Shrewsbury over those 4 games.

I remember comparisons being made with Kendalls team of 79/80. We actually seem to be the opposite of that. Until we learn to win 1-0 we won't go up. That purple patch of scoring 3 and 4 goals away from home was never going to last.

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Maybe,but at the end of the day it's the players on the field who invite it. Most teams winning by a goal do it near the end. We just seem to be unlucky more than lucky at times in these situations 

We seem to be rather badly coached in these situations. It goes wrong too often to be all down to bad luck.

Archived