BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rotherham V Rovers

Kamy100

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Last 4 games we've conceded 4 goals. Wigan have conceded 0 and Shrewsbury 1.

We've lost 2 points on Wigan and 4 points on Shrewsbury over those 4 games.

I remember comparisons being made with Kendalls team of 79/80. We actually seem to be the opposite of that. Until we learn to win 1-0 we won't go up. That purple patch of scoring 3 and 4 goals away from home was never going to last.

This is exactly the problem. Our average scoring rate over the last ten games of 2.5 was never going to hold up, so we desperately need to sort out these stupid defensive lapses. It isn't bad luck, it's a combination of poor coaching and an overcautious/nervous mentality. It's up to Mowbray to sort it and Venky's to back him financially. Let's see how serious both our manager and the owners are about getting promoted, there's no question this month will be a strong indicator of where we're going. 

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gav said:

Posters on here seem to have forgotten that we got relegated last season, went down without a whimper, and that's on the back of 7 seasons of cr@p under that lot from Pune.

You quite simply do not put those things right by signing 1 player for a fee, it takes time, if money was the answer Leicester wouldn't have won the Premiership etc etc.

Thats why my expectations are realistic rather than low roversfan99.

Is 11 points and unbeaten from the last 5 games to miss out on goal difference  "going down without a whimper" ?

I dread to think how you would describe Wigans season last year as then !

Therefore you would have to say that we were in a better position than Wigan at the end of last year. For all the cr@p Venkys have done to us, last summer was a surprisingly successful one with Mowbray allowed to spend a bit of cash and hang on to anyone he wanted to keep.

Im not as down on the current situation as a lot of posters but let's not pretend that it's  a miracle that we are 3rd. 

My biggest gripe is he never addressed the full backs or the centre half position pre-season and that's what's costing us in my eyes.

I personally don't think the starting xi is as good as people think but Mowbray himself keeps saying we should get promoted, and whilst it doesnt make a difference how it happens, I don't think he's talking about the play offs.

Conceding from corners is always about players not doing their marking jobs. Rovers have too many small players in midfield and some of them (including defenders like Williams) don't like going where it might hurt.

Just now, alcd said:

Conceding from corners is always about players not doing their marking jobs. Rovers have too many small players in midfield and some of them (including defenders like Williams) don't like going where it might hurt.

Concentration issue 

36 minutes ago, Gav said:

Posters on here seem to have forgotten that we got relegated last season, went down without a whimper, and that's on the back of 7 seasons of cr@p under that lot from Pune.

You quite simply do not put those things right by signing 1 player for a fee, it takes time, if money was the answer Leicester wouldn't have won the Premiership etc etc.

No I understand that, but we didnt go down without a whimper, we, handicapped by an embarrasingly bad start under Coyle, ended up down on goal difference after gaining quite alot of points in the second half of the season once Mowbray came in.

Then in the summer, you say one player for a fee but thats not right. Dack came in for a massive fee at this level, Samuel came in for a hefty fee, Gladwin and Hart also came in for small fees (admittedly they have turned out to be awful), we signed Whittingham and Smallwood on presumably decent contracts considering they had Championship interest, we signed Antonsson on loan who cost £2m a year ago, and kept Mulgrew, Lenihan, Bennett, Graham etc, all players who are not League 1 quality, for various reasons (Mulgrews early season injuries, Lenihan playing in midfield, Graham getting injuries, Bennett being ignored for half a season) didnt have their best seasons. 

The whole summer was full of optimism, manager stayed, all the players we wanted rid of (Steele, Feeney, Lowe, Akpan, Stokes) all rid of, we had a manager who everyone wanted and a team that looked good.

I hate Venkys as much of you but that aside, to be content at being 5 points behind Shrewsbury after 25 games is really low expectations. I think unrealistically low. To say "signing 1 player for a fee" is not only massively underestimating the summer, or the competition we now find ourself in, its incorrect.

Just now, davulsukur said:

All too familiar.

At least this time we’ve managed to clear one hurdle and actually get into the playoffs (no where near good enough, I know)

We extended our buffer above 7th from 7 to 8 points today but quite rightly we have our eyes on automatic promotion. 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

(Tin hat on)

Have we won since Bennett was brought back into the side?

Not all his fault of course but sometimes the margin between winning and losing can be extremely fine and we need to be as good as we can be all over the pitch.

We seemed to be picking up results quite nicely if not playing particularly well when he was unavailable.

I would ditch him and go on the offensive with two main strikers up top. Especially at home.

We haven't lost since he came back and he did win the penalty against Rochdale to help get the win.  One of our better performers - yet again - today.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

We haven't lost since he came back and he did win the penalty against Rochdale to help get the win.  One of our better performers - yet again - today.

I thought Bennet was our best performer today.

46 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We seem to be rather badly coached in these situations. It goes wrong too often to be all down to bad luck.

The fact it happens so much compounds it. The players almost know it's coming. It started big time under Coyle and we are fighting it ever since 

This was just a game too far for a squad with illness affecting it. We just never really got going and ran out of steam completely at the end. It was a very scrappy affair with little quality anywhere and a draw was the deserved result.

One thing I was pleased about was a very rare sighting of a decent performance by Corrie Evans.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Concentration issue 

Mentality issue for me. You can defend your own half for a reasonable amount of time. You can defend the penalty area for 15 minutes or so with a bit of luck. When you've been pushed back that far you're defending from your own six yard box you're asking for trouble.

You need the ball down the other end and for that you need players down there to keep it , not another centre half to make it easy for them to push you back.

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No I understand that, but we didnt go down without a whimper, we, handicapped by an embarrasingly bad start under Coyle, ended up down on goal difference after gaining quite alot of points in the second half of the season once Mowbray came in.

Then in the summer, you say one player for a fee but thats not right. Dack came in for a massive fee at this level, Samuel came in for a hefty fee, Gladwin and Hart also came in for small fees (admittedly they have turned out to be awful), we signed Whittingham and Smallwood on presumably decent contracts considering they had Championship interest, we signed Antonsson on loan who cost £2m a year ago, and kept Mulgrew, Lenihan, Bennett, Graham etc, all players who are not League 1 quality, for various reasons (Mulgrews early season injuries, Lenihan playing in midfield, Graham getting injuries, Bennett being ignored for half a season) didnt have their best seasons. 

The whole summer was full of optimism, manager stayed, all the players we wanted rid of (Steele, Feeney, Lowe, Akpan, Stokes) all rid of, we had a manager who everyone wanted and a team that looked good.

I hate Venkys as much of you but that aside, to be content at being 5 points behind Shrewsbury after 25 games is really low expectations. I think unrealistically low. To say "signing 1 player for a fee" is not only massively underestimating the summer, or the competition we now find ourself in, its incorrect.

Good points but I disagree,  the only good thing that came out of last season was we got rid of Coyle, the end....

As I've already said, my expectations for this season are realistic, that's why I'm happy with a point today, happy we're unbeaten in 14 games and happy we sit 3rd in the league.

The majority on here are p1ssed off, because they have expectations way beyond where they should be.

I know where I'd rather be.

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11192532/rotherham-1-1-blackburn

Sublime finish from Dack. Dreadful defending for their goal. Groundhog Matchday.

Downing loses the first header. Who is it on the line that lets their lad score?

Looks like either Smallwood or Ward. Either way, their lad wanted it much more than they did!

Home draw again Scunny looks even worse after a poor result at Rotherham. 4 points dropped in two games is not promotion form. Today's first half was "as bad as I've seen it all season" said a fan at HT who compared it to the Southend game. Ok now that I've got that off my chest.

The lads tried their best but the fault lies in squad strength. Team looked knackered in terms of body strength and ideas. Rotherham wanted the ball more than us. Ward was brought on to counter their sub Ihiekwe but sadly it didn't work. Samuel tries his best but needs to learn off Graham on how to hold a ball and not give away silly fouls. Pathetic referee decision to stop play when we were almost through on goal due to an "injured" Rotherham player, but it was not an head injury. Rotherham player knew exactly what he was doing and the referee's training on "what to say to players when you've made a wrong decision"  proved useful yet again. 

We need at least 3 players if we are to remain in playoff positions. There's no stopping Wigan & Shewsbury.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Another thing. Mowbray bleats about absentees. Tells you alot that even when we need kids to make up the numbers, a player he bought and a player he loaned in are nowhere to be seen.

Is Harper loan deal not ended? 

Hart is left back. We didnt need another defender on bench but another striker on bench. 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Not a criticism but on what basis are you confident of him getting us promoted? He hasn't yet broke us into the top 2 and when we get close it seems our bottle goes 

I certainly wouldn't back us in the play offs 

I was confident before the unbeaten run. Remember ive backed Mowbray to the hilt. Aint going to change now

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Gav, we didn't go down "without a whimper". The team generally fought hard under Mowbray and pulled off some great results, not least the last day of the season. Rovers' form under Mowbray was mid-table, but unfortunately Coyle was such a disaster it proved too difficult to recover. 

Archived