BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City Fa Cup game 6.1.17

36 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Chaddy has been fairly consistent this season in his views about Graham and imo he's been absolutely spot on. Let's not have the wool pulled over our eyes by a couple  of better performances recently, the player has been bloody awful this season. He didn't turn up until mid to end of November last season either.

If anyone came in with a reasonable offer for him this month I'd drive him there for free.

Very true. 

I just expected alot more from an experience player

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Very true. 

I just expected alot more from an experience player

He would need replacing - Samuel isn't the answer in the 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 we are playing.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Mowbray is probably going to leave Rovers (or be sacked) if he doesn't get us up this season. He isn't going to be remembered for having a good cup run, but failing to fulfil his priority - promotion. What would you honestly do? Play your best team? Don't you think that's quite risky, particularly with our jaded-looking players? If you played your best side in the 3rd round of the Cup, then I'd suggest that you are valuing the cup over our knife-edged promotion chances, which doesn't seem sensible to me.

I think the cup competitions nowadays are great for those who are looking like mid-table candidates. Not much to gain or lose from the lucrative league positions, but worth a gamble by going for it with your best players in the cups. That's not us this season.

If you're going to blame anyone for a weakened Rovers side, don't look at the club, but the FA, instead. They set up the stakes, and it's increasingly geared towards the league, year on year.

Resting players and getting walloped didnt do much for Stoke in the game they were subsequently targeting though did it?

15 minutes ago, J*B said:

He would need replacing - Samuel isn't the answer in the 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 we are playing.

Samuel played well against Peterbrough away. 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Resting players and getting walloped didnt do much for Stoke in the game they were subsequently targeting though did it?

Most managers over the Christmas and New Year period have make changes

We all know how important Shrewsbury is, but it takes place a full week after the Cup tie not three days later.

We’ve often looked sluggish after international breaks, so giving most players a 12 day break may be counter productive...

29 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We all know how important Shrewsbury is, but it takes place a full week after the Cup tie not three days later.

We’ve often looked sluggish after international breaks, so giving most players a 12 day break may be counter productive...

Agreed. I might be completely wrong but I'd be surprised if we didn't play a near full strength team. He was prepared to play Mulgrew (for example) in the mid week replay at Crewe after all.

Not usually one to advocate resting players for FA Cup games as I am a big fan of the same.

However LT reporter Rich Sharpe pointed out on twitter that Smallwood is currently on 9 yellow cards and will be suspended for 2 games when he gets a 10th. We need him for the Shrewsbury game next week. I wouldn’t risk him against Hull. 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didnt he not get dropped for Nuttall or Samuel during our 14 games unbeaten run? 

You miss my point, Mowbray obviously thought he was good enough in the run up to the last 2 games and selected him.

You say he wasn't.

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

His performances wasnt good enough before the last 2 games

We aren't good enough to win the ruddy cup so why bother this year?

Priorities.....play the Kids,rest our main players for Shrewsbury and get that win towards the main aim of PROMOTION that this Club needs so desperately.

It really is a no Brainer this season.

@#/? THE CUP WE'RE GOING UP!

Sounds like Evans and Graham will be in the starting lineup from a couple of articles I've read. I'd expect Smallwood to be rested - not just for his yellow cards tally, but he's looked jaded in the last few games. Give Tomlinson that role tomorrow.

Think we'll see a half regulars half youngsters lineup. 5.5 players from each group. :)

Raya

Downing Wharton Mulgrew

Nyambe.                                                     Williams

Smallwood Bennett Evans 

Dack

Graham 

23 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Raya

Downing Wharton Mulgrew

Nyambe.                                                     Williams

Smallwood Bennett Evans 

Dack

Graham 

Not a chance he will, or should, risk Smallwood when he's a booking away from a 2 game ban meaning he'd miss the Shrews at home.

I'm really hoping that Mowbray forgets this idea of playing with wing backs. I've a feeling that this is how he would prefer to set his team up but on the two occasions that I've seen him attempt it - Doncaster (disastrous) and Barnet (timid) - it's just not worked. Granted, it's only twice, but risking a result when the players don't seem comfortable, and in some cases capable of, playing that way seems foolhardy in the extreme. That said, maybe he'll see a cup competition that he doesn't deem a priority as the ideal time to tinker.   

Back, Smallwood and Mulgrew should all be nowhere near Ewood tomorrow. Similarly any player with any niggles shouldn't be playing. In the grand scheme of things this game is low priority and the real focus should be for Shrewsbury next week. That means protecting players and keeping them fit and free of injury.

Archived