BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City Fa Cup game 6.1.17

1 hour ago, Andy Kennedys Hairdo said:

I'm really hoping that Mowbray forgets this idea of playing with wing backs. I've a feeling that this is how he would prefer to set his team up but on the two occasions that I've seen him attempt it - Doncaster (disastrous) and Barnet (timid) - it's just not worked. Granted, it's only twice, but risking a result when the players don't seem comfortable, and in some cases capable of, playing that way seems foolhardy in the extreme. That said, maybe he'll see a cup competition that he doesn't deem a priority as the ideal time to tinker.   

You can add Southend to that list when we were shockingly bad primarily down to Mowbray trying to be smart.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In devil's advocate mode, is there really that much mileage in resting Smallwood for tomorrow purely on the basis he might pick up a yellow? 

If he genuinely needs a rest, fine, but he's bound to pick up another booking sooner rather than later so instead of missing Shrewsbury and however many other games it is he'll still miss the same number of League games elsewhere all of which have the same three points riding on them.

With 21 League games still to go I'm not sure it will make that much difference. Almost might as well get it out of the way.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

In devil's advocate mode, is there really that much mileage in resting Smallwood for tomorrow purely on the basis he might pick up a yellow? 

If he genuinely needs a rest, fine, but he's bound to pick up another booking sooner rather than later so instead of missing Shrewsbury and however many other games it is he'll still miss the same number of League games elsewhere all of which have the same three points riding on them.

With 21 League games still to go I'm not sure it will make that much difference. Almost might as well get it out of the way.

If we lose to Shrewsbury then we are well off the automatic places. Win it and we may have a chance to catch them.

Feck. Can you imagine 7 years ago contemplating any of us typing a sentence like that. :( 

Just now, Stuart said:

If we lose to Shrewsbury then we are well off the automatic places. Win it and we may have a chance to catch them.

As Basil Fawlty might say: "Stuart Fawlty - subject the bleedin obvious" ;):)

I know, but there's a few points on that. Firstly I don't accept the loss of one player in isolation should mean we automatically lose a game.

Secondly just say he manages to go ten games without a booking. It's arguable that his loss at the business end of the season might be even more critical than it would be now.

Thirdly, again, if he goes a while without a booking you don't want him starting to hold back a bit try and avoid a suspension.

Finally we might have Jason Kante back in the squad by the time we face Shrewsbury. RIchie might struggle to force his way back in. :P

Ok ill go with points 1-3! Not too bothered either way, the only thing I really wouldn't want to see is losing Dack to a long term injury but then again even he could hurt himself getting out of bed one morning.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

As Basil Fawlty might say: "Stuart Fawlty - subject the bleedin obvious" ;):)

I know, but there's a few points on that. Firstly I don't accept the loss of one player in isolation should mean we automatically lose a game.

Secondly just say he manages to go ten games without a booking. It's arguable that his loss at the business end of the season might be even more critical than it would be now.

Thirdly, again, if he goes a while without a booking you don't want him starting to hold back a bit try and avoid a suspension.

Finally we might have Jason Kante back in the squad by the time we face Shrewsbury. RIchie might struggle to force his way back in. :P

Ok ill go with points 1-3! Not too bothered either way, the only thing I really wouldn't want to see is losing Dack to a long term injury but then again even he could hurt himself getting out of bed one morning.

Two things though: it’s (let’s face it) a meaningless FA cup game insofar as the priority this season has to be promotion.

Shrewsbury is a 6-pointer against one of the best sides in the league which makes it more important than most other games. There are no guarantees but I’d sooner have Smallwood available against Shrewsbury than Hull in the Cup.

Risk of injury is part of the sport, but the loss a combative midfield player, one booking away from a suspension, can be time-controlled.

We’re favourites on Bet365, which surprised me. 

Dont think the cup can be classed as a distraction at this stage, and love getting through to later rounds...

But, I would not be too distraught to go out to a team a division above, and would be happy with a competitive performance from a “well balanced” selection.

If there’s a fence I’ll sit on it - I reckon it will go to replay, then I really won’t be arsed.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

We’re favourites on Bet365, which surprised me. 

Dont think the cup can be classed as a distraction at this stage, and love getting through to later rounds...

But, I would not be too distraught to go out to a team a division above, and would be happy with a competitive performance from a “well balanced” selection.

If there’s a fence I’ll sit on it - I reckon it will go to replay, then I really won’t be arsed.

Agreed. If there's one thing we really don't need it's a replay.

We've already managed to snatch one draw out of the jaws of certain victory thanks to Messrs Harper and Bennett. Mustn't do that again if we're in the lead.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agreed. If there's one thing we really don't need it's a replay.

We've already managed to snatch one draw out of the jaws of certain victory thanks to Messrs Harper and Bennett. Mustn't do that again if we're in the lead.

More interesting would be do we push for an equalizer if a goal behind with 10 minutes left? :blink:

If/when Smallwood gets another booking, we should have more than enough in our armoury to deal with what League One throws at us. If Corry Evans and Peter Whittingham aren't good enough to deal with Shrewsbury Town and the rest of League One then something is going wrong somewhere.

The whole point in our recruitment was to assemble sufficient depth to deal with absentees and I imagine most clubs in this league would love to have players with their experience in their side. 

For me personally we should be playing as weaker line up as possible tomorrow. The game against Shrewsbury is 10000x more important than a 3rd round FA Cup home tie too bloody Hull City. What have we got to gain by risking our best players tomorrow? Another round in the cup could potentially earn a few quid if we draw one of the big boys, but Promotion should be our only aim this season and that home game to Shrewsbury is our biggest of the season so far. Curious as to how TM is going to approach tomorrow. 

Just now, Butty said:

For me personally we should be playing as weaker line up as possible tomorrow. The game against Shrewsbury is 10000x more important than a 3rd round FA Cup home tie too bloody Hull City. What have we got to gain by risking our best players tomorrow? Another round in the cup could potentially earn a few quid if we draw one of the big boys, but Promotion should be our only aim this season and that home game to Shrewsbury is our biggest of the season so far. Curious as to how TM is going to approach tomorrow. 

I completely disagree - which I suppose is why football is such a beautiful game.

For me if TM thinks he absolutely has to make one or two tactical changes such as Dack to protect him, or Smallwood because of the cards, so be it. Otherwise it should be the strongest side available. I would be very disappointed to see wholesale changes and if there are and we lose, I wouldn't be surprised to see that negative momentum spill over into the Shrewsbury game and beyond. How many times have we said over the years "You can't turn form on and off like a tap."

I wonder also when it was decided that you can't do well in more than one competition or you had to sacrifice certain games in a League campaign to avoid relegation etc.

I don't remember Howard Kendall's promotion chasing side worrying about the effect of tackling then top flight Coventry and Villa in the FA Cup.  In those days you went out full tilt with your best side to try and win every game and that's the way it should be imo.

One of those things when I agree with Simon. 

Winning is a habit, you want to give yourself the best chance of maintaining it. Regarding smallwood getting a card, you just have to take your chances. 

Sending out weakened teams when there's something to play for and the weakened team has a significantly less chance of a win, is bad mojo. It sends out the wrong message to the players and fans

9 hours ago, broadsword said:

One of those things when I agree with Simon. 

Winning is a habit, you want to give yourself the best chance of maintaining it. Regarding smallwood getting a card, you just have to take your chances. 

Sending out weakened teams when there's something to play for and the weakened team has a significantly less chance of a win, is bad mojo. It sends out the wrong message to the players and fans

Agreed, "forfeiting" games as one previous manager said leads to maybe better rested players but a weak mindset. 

Really you want to perform at the best level you can.

That said resting Smallwood makes total sense. I just wouldn't drop too many of our key players.

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

Feck. Can you imagine 7 years ago contemplating any of us typing a sentence like that. :( 

Sadly Stuart that's football.  Same sort of feeling having witnessed Rovers demolish the famous Spurs team 7-2 in a top flight clash and then eight years later having to suffer a 7-1 defeat to Shrewsbury in the Third Division.  That first season in the Third Division was a real eye opener in terms of realising just how far we had fallen.  I'm sure it's a similar feeling that many are experiencing this season for the first time.  The present Shrewsbury team are rather like Scunthorpe - no outstanding individuals but a well drilled and organised outfit who are difficult to beat.  I'm sure they will come to Ewood and be more than happy to leave with a point.  Whilst we could really do with winning this one I don't think it will be a season defining result whichever way it goes - there are too many matches still to play for either side to believe that a win will settle anything one way or the other. 

On 03/01/2018 at 16:54, chaddyrovers said:

What would people team for this? Would anyone pick the strongest team or a weaker team 

My team would be

Luetwiler 

Nyambe Downing Wharton Hart

Conway Evans Tomlinson Whittingham

Samuel Nuttall

Subs:- Raya Ward Caddis Hardcastle Dack Bennett Butterworth

Yea, a good line-up I would say.

There's no way Smallwood plays today, the Shrewsbury game is infinitely more important than this one. Mulgrew, Dack and Smallwood to get wrapped in cotton wool today for me, if we lose one of them we're snookered. I don't mind a run in the FA cup if you've not got much to play for in the league, but it is absolutely imperative that we get promoted this season, so the FA cup can take a back seat.

Raya

Nyambe Downing Wharton Williams

Travis Whittingham Tomlinson Conway

Bennett

Samuel

If Nuttall has recovered from illness, he should come in for Conway and Bennett to go wide.

16 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Taking points away from Shrewsbury makes the points we can get from this game more important, as is the case when we play any side in or  near the top 6 or so.

Archived