BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Town - 13/1/18

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I actually feel even sorrier for you all now than I did.

Knocking on 50 years ago and still your biggest achievement. ??????

I hope at least one of you that have signed up actually went to that match.

I was 11 back then and went to that game  , Blackburn were an average Third division team at the time. Strangely I remember Blackburn's consolation goal, a really good goal scored by the small tricky winger Jonny Price, who beat 2 Town players before curling his shot low into the bottom corner from 20 yards. The game is remembered by Town fans for the 5 first half goals Alf Wood put past Rovers GK Roger Jones, a good and well respected keeper by fans of other clubs in his day.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Mortgagehound said:

We were both there lol. Two wide eyed 10 yr olds.  God bless old Alf Wood with five goals. Sadly suffering from dementia now and does not remember playing for shrewsbury.

When your a little club these days stick in the mind

Our esteemed owners are doing their very best to turn us into one of those, let me tell you.

9 hours ago, STFC7-1 said:

I was 11 back then and went to that game  , Blackburn were an average Third division team at the time. Strangely I remember Blackburn's consolation goal, a really good goal scored by the small tricky winger Jonny Price, who beat 2 Town players before curling his shot low into the bottom corner from 20 yards. The game is remembered by Town fans for the 5 first half goals Alf Wood put past Rovers GK Roger Jones, a good and well respected keeper by fans of other clubs in his day.

I remember Alf Wood starting out as a centre half at Man City. He was never really going to make the grade there but he did very well as a lower league centre forward. Sounds like he's another one suffering from heading the old balls too often.

Johnny Price was a good little player. He gave Stockport years of service before we signed him.I wish we had a winger like him now. I read somewhere that he took his own life.

After the non event at Ewood yesterday this is more of a cup final for us than Shrewsbury (I never thought I would ever have to write that). And I don't mind admitted I am worried about this game as our current form is poor and Mowbray appears to have turned into Mr Muddled once again.

It's simple for me. Win and we can keep the pressure on the top two. Lose and it's the play offs for us. I know there are plenty of games left but given I haven't seen anything like a consistent performance yet this season my confidence in Mowbray and his team is low.

A defeat and having an 8 point difference looks very challenging over 20 games with the Shrews and Wigan going so well. Even 5 points is looking like a big ask.

Hopefully.

1) we get a signing to get us buzzing during the week

2) Mowbray sorts out corners because you can be certain a well managed set up like Shrewsbury will be working on forcing corners and exploiting the back stick weakness (we will concede from centre of goal now..)

3) Win for Rovers is the turning point after a little wobble  

4 hours ago, philipl said:

A defeat and having an 8 point difference looks very challenging over 20 games with the Shrews and Wigan going so well. Even 5 points is looking like a big ask.

Hopefully.

1) we get a signing to get us buzzing during the week

2) Mowbray sorts out corners because you can be certain a well managed set up like Shrewsbury will be working on forcing corners and exploiting the back stick weakness (we will concede from centre of goal now..)

3) Win for Rovers is the turning point after a little wobble  

It’ll be 1)...

D06E9415-1FCD-4F4B-9E01-F9C2844CFC91.jpeg

Watching the first half hour of the Shrews/hammers game you can see why they do well. A big, strong athletic team who are genuinely on the 'front foot' and not in the way Mowbray claims we are. It's proper in-yer-face football, a bit like Wilder's Shett Utd. We have better individuals technically (Dack, Graham, Mulgrew etc) but they look a very well-drilled unit. We'll do very well to beat them and if they have a decent corner-taker we will struggle to defend them against the big lads in their team.

It should be quite a game. Hopefully the Rovers fans will turn out and make an atmosphere. It's been embarrassing this season.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Watching the first half hour of the Shrews/hammers game you can see why they do well. A big, strong athletic team who are genuinely on the 'front foot' and not in the way Mowbray claims we are. It's proper in-yer-face football, a bit like Wilder's Shett Utd. We have better individuals technically (Dack, Graham, Mulgrew etc) but they look a very well-drilled unit. We'll do very well to beat them and if they have a decent corner-taker we will struggle to defend them against the big lads in their team.

It should be quite a game. Hopefully the Rovers fans will turn out and make an atmosphere. It's been embarrassing this season.

They look a pretty hard working and well organised team. They have a way of playing that suits them. I can see why they win lots games 1-0. Good dead ball delivery. They like to play in your half.  No massive weaknesses but no " X " factor players that I've seen so far. They'll give us a game, no doubt about that. I hope West Ham step it up in the second half, this has been like a pre-season friendly from the Hammers.

Yes they look a not too bad a team against a woefully poor west spam United a rag tag of an outfit. They clearly have a bit of spine Rovers players are technically better but despite this Rovers have to turn up and not be bullied by this team. The lad Ridman looks a half decent player just as the number 5 does.

8 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Yes they look a not too bad a team against a woefully poor west spam United a rag tag of an outfit. They clearly have a bit of spine Rovers players are technically better but despite this Rovers have to turn up and not be bullied by this team. The lad Ridman looks a half decent player just as the number 5 does.

They work much harder than we do as a team......

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's not hard is it ?  West Ham looked like us on a bad day.

The draw is the perfect result for us.

In fairness to Shrewsbury, I thought their movement was exceptional.  Let's hope their heads are turned towards the cup.

Shrewsbury are hard working and clearly wanted the ball. They didn't allow WH time and had more that the usual ball carriers who wanted to create a chance but either due to WH's defense or their lack of quality it ended goalless.

Danny Graham must start and will have his work cut out holding on to the ball. A must win game. 

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

Shrewsbury are hard working and clearly wanted the ball. They didn't allow WH time and had more that the usual ball carriers who wanted to create a chance but either due to WH's defense or their lack of quality it ended goalless.

Danny Graham must start and will have his work cut out holding on to the ball. A must win game. 

Against West Ham they didn't look to have a cutting edge up front. The lone striker worked hard enough but I can see why he's not scored for months. They'll be coming to Ewood looking for another 1-0.

They're lively well drilled team not just on todays evidence but every time I've seen bits of them this season. Give away stupid goals in this and it might be hard to get back into it but after watching that today I fully expect TM to start in damage limitation mode even though we are at home.

Hopefully the big game players step up in this we might need them.

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

They're lively well drilled team not just on todays evidence but every time I've seen bits of them this season. Give away stupid goals in this and it might be hard to get back into it but after watching that today I fully expect TM to start in damage limitation mode even though we are at home.

Hopefully the big game players step up in this we might need them.

Ya,can't really blame him for keeping it tight though. Hopefully our big players turn up then and we win by the odd goal. Extremely worried about set pieces into our box 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya,can't really blame him for keeping it tight though. Hopefully our big players turn up then and we win by the odd goal. Extremely worried about set pieces into our box 

That's what i'm thinking, a lots going to come down to getting the right men on the ball in the right areas because I can see them closing down all over the park. Could be a counter attacking game and man how we could use Chapman in these.

He definitely needs to get someone in to fill that void.

Archived