BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Town - 13/1/18

Very worried about this game. They appear to be coming into the game on the crest of a wave, whereas we are approaching it in pretty poor form.

On the face of it it's got us dominating possession and them nicking a 1-0 win from a set piece written all over it. We actually need TM to have the team up for the game like no other and for the players themselves to rip the Shrews a new one from the off and inflict a heavy defeat which would sow the seeds of doubt in them for the rest of the season.

We'll learn a lot about TM and our players this Saturday.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Very worried about this game. They appear to be coming into the game on the crest of a wave, whereas we are approaching it in pretty poor form.

On the face of it it's got us dominating possession and them nicking a 1-0 win from a set piece written all over it. We actually need TM to have the team up for the game like no other and for the players themselves to rip the Shrews a new one from the off and inflict a heavy defeat which would sow the seeds of doubt in them for the rest of the season.

We'll learn a lot about TM and our players this Saturday.

I am not as worried, but I agree that they need to be super up for this game and rip into them. I think both sides will be up for it. A draw would suit them more than us, so perhaps they will approach it defensively 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am not as worried, but I agree that they need to be super up for this game and rip into them. I think both sides will be up for it. A draw would suit them more than us, so perhaps they will approach it defensively 

They've only scored 33 goals from 25 games so not sure if they've got it in them to score a hatful even if they were going for it. That said we've struggled to break far worse sides than them down at Ewood already this season.

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

They've only scored 33 goals from 25 games so not sure if they've got it in them to score a hatful even if they were going for it. That said we've struggled to break far worse sides than them down at Ewood already this season.

Interesting game ahead. A real 6 pointer and one that could dictate the momentum for the rest of the season. No pressure lads. 

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They seem to have plenty of big lads in their team, may only need one set piece to score and then shut up shop, can see that happening too.

BTW just watched a vid of Hull's goal on Saturday, which Rovers player lost his man on the post ?

Whoever it was, it was shocking defending.

6 minutes ago, West Yorks Rover said:

They seem to have plenty of big lads in their team, may only need one set piece to score and then shut up shop, can see that happening too.

BTW just watched a vid of Hull's goal on Saturday, which Rovers player lost his man on the post ?

Whoever it was, it was shocking defending.

Ya, we seem to do that a lot. It is down to a pure lack of concentration and inexcusable IMO. It happens way too much. The minimum a professional should be doing is trying to focus and concentrate for set-pieces. You are thought that Under 12. The biggest lump of a defender can do it 

If Rovers can actually get at a team from the off for once we might have scored before they have time to settle. These lads don't score so many goals tend to keep it tight, if we get an early goal they have to come out and play a bit more which will suit us. Same old story though with us this season usually have to go a goal down to start playing. I am worried about this game but I think we're more than capable of winning it, I hope to God they really make a point of practising set pieces in training because we've been a disgrace this season on them.

Just now, Garage Flower said:

I hope to God they really make a point of practising set pieces in training because we've been a disgrace this season on them.

Good shout. You'd think that was one of  the easiest things to get right as well even if you haven't particularly got a talented group of players.

16 minutes ago, Garage Flower said:

If Rovers can actually get at a team from the off for once we might have scored before they have time to settle. These lads don't score so many goals tend to keep it tight, if we get an early goal they have to come out and play a bit more which will suit us. Same old story though with us this season usually have to go a goal down to start playing. I am worried about this game but I think we're more than capable of winning it, I hope to God they really make a point of practising set pieces in training because we've been a disgrace this season on them.

Mowbray was asked by Bayes on RL after Saturday's match about the number of goals we concede from corners. Mowbray went into self preservation mode and said they spend around 45 minutes in the cold each Friday morning practising drills on defensive set plays. In that case it's easy to identify who is not doing their job but we seem to be conceding these types of goals on a weekly basis now. Mowbray and his staff should be sorting this out and if somebody isn't doing their bloody job then drop them.

A lot of it might come down to 'types' again and the days of the my ball - put a name on it - muck and bullets players are fast disappearing sadly and a lot of the coaching these days is probably based on space marking and all that or zonal if you want to be continental about it B)

Also I suppose it could be balanced by teams knowing they are playing a Blackburn etc spend 1 hour 45 mins on scoring from set pieces figuring that'll be their best chance.

I think we will draw. I expect us to concede from some form of set-piece and for raya to come and get bullied from every set-piece, Good shot stopper but awful at commanding set-pieces (due to size I know) which has cost us at times already this season. Shrews are a big side and I expect them to take adavntage of it.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Mowbray was asked by Bayes on RL after Saturday's match about the number of goals we concede from corners. Mowbray went into self preservation mode and said they spend around 45 minutes in the cold each Friday morning practising drills on defensive set plays. In that case it's easy to identify who is not doing their job but we seem to be conceding these types of goals on a weekly basis now. Mowbray and his staff should be sorting this out and if somebody isn't doing their bloody job then drop them.

45 minutes in the cold practicing.. God I feel for the overpaid wasters 

52 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Reminds me of the days of Samba and Nelsen. Those lads would have stuck their heads in a fireplace. 

Your Avatar was the man for winning balls in the air. Remember Derby away ?  That's what you need, a player who is prepared to attack the ball and not let anybody get in his way.

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Your Avatar was the man for winning balls in the air. Remember Derby away ?  That's what you need, a player who is preparing to attack the ball and not let anybody get in his way.

Moran would have stuck his head in front of an articulated lorry if it meant stopping a goal, or in that case, scoring one :) 

The phrase is thrown around a lot, but they don't make footballers like Moran anymore. In fairness he won an all-Ireland with Dublin when Gaelic football was borderline a field game crossed with a bar brawl(I would say minus the alcohol, although that probably wasn't always the case :) ) . I have seen videos of games back then, you would get jail now for some of the carry on. Footballers would have been pussycats to him.  I recommend taking a look on YouTube.

On 1/7/2018 at 11:16, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Against West Ham they didn't look to have a cutting edge up front. The lone striker worked hard enough but I can see why he's not scored for months. They'll be coming to Ewood looking for another 1-0.

Not scored for months? we all know what that means.

I wonder if they might have one eye on the FA cup replay. Nobody is going to want to miss the opportunity of playing at the Olympic Stadium. Could mean they are more up for our game to cement a place in the team or it could mean they don’t want to pick up a knock and miss out.

Haven’t been to Ewood for a while but will be there with my son at the weekend. Biggest game of the season so far IMO. We really need to take the game to them from the off. Anything less than 3 points and I’ll feel resigned to the playoffs...

Just now, Ricky said:

I wonder if they might have one eye on the FA cup replay. Nobody is going to want to miss the opportunity of playing at the Olympic Stadium. Could mean they are more up for our game to cement a place in the team or it could mean they don’t want to pick up a knock and miss out.

That's my thinking as well. It's bound to be a consideration.

Archived